Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM

1,031 posts, read 633,300 times

Advertisements

I had a behind the scene tour of the new amazon area doggie, It was amazing, they really have an awesome new facility, did you see the tree kangaroo, cute as hell!

migsly, All zoos are routinely inspected by several national government organizations and under no circumstances would they allow a holding area where an animal could not turn around. I have personally seen the holding areas metrozoo provides and they are above the national standard. I would like to know where you witnessed an area where an animal was so cramped in a cage it could not turn around??? Why do you think a zoo would do that to an animal, a stressed animal will get sick and hurt costing to zoo a ton of money.

Animals in zoos are put into holding areas overnight for their safety, if they let them simply roam their outdoor enclosures they might come into contact with feral wildlife and contract a disease or get stuck/hurt fooling around in the paddock while staff is off and thus be languishing overnight or until night security can call in keepers to help them. Animals are mostly fed in holding areas so that the staff can monitor their intake and separate them to control the volume they consume and to be certain that animals on medication get their proper dose. Animal are like children, they must be obedient to ensure their safety, if they simply fed them in their outdoor enclosures they would never go inside willingly and when a big storm came by the staff would have to catch/drug them to put them in their holding areas, have you ever had to catch a monkey in its outdoor area? Its not safe or fun for anyone, if its trained to eat in a small simple cage you can simply put its diet down let it in and hand feed it, then you can clock out knowing its safe from disease, predators, the weather and had its proper ration of food or medicine.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,376,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I had a behind the scene tour of the new amazon area doggie, It was amazing, they really have an awesome new facility, did you see the tree kangaroo, cute as hell!
Not sure if I did, next time I go I will look for it! The new sections are really nice!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 AM

its reflective of the situation in Miami, being so close to the most bio diverse ecosystem on planet earth they are going to have a field day in development of cutting edge exhibits. Its almost like cheating with that weather.....grrrrr

Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 PM

170 posts, read 448,774 times
Boer, I witnessed the cages but not the animals in the cages. It was during the daytime so they were not occupied. The cages looked small to me. But maybe it was an optical illusion. It was like one long narrow cage with doors that slid down to separate the animals. The animals came in through the front and the first animal would go all the way to the back. The other animals followed and doors slid down after each one to separate them.

The zookeeper at the time told me all this. I'm not making it up. I remember thinking it was awful for the first animal. If there were a fire or something, he'd be the last one out. Which begs the question why aren't their zoo staffers on duty around the clock in case they had to get the animals out of the cages quickly?

About the cages, it just seemed kind of cruel that the animals had to endure being cooped up every night as a price to get something to eat.

If they have changed the cages since then, I apologize.

But I still can't understand why they had that taxidermied lioness in the lobby. That's the first thing I saw when I walked in. What a turnoff.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM

zoos are about science.

what you most likely witnessed was a shifting stall not a holding stall.

All zoos have a security system and night guards plus a staff on call.........
like a hospital or military complex.

you cant let large predators run "free" all night, its not responsible for many many reasons.

you should volunteer at a zoo, that will help you understand.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 PM

391 posts, read 511,896 times
I was told by one of the keepers that there are cages which are used to vaccinate and do blood work in which the tiggers can't turn around in, those might be the ones that you saw. She told us that it was the safest way to do these common medical proceedures without undo stress to the animal or danger to the keepers.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

391 posts, read 511,896 times
One more thing. Does anyone have problems with horses or other livestock in stalls overnight? Dogs in crates overnight? How about a snake in an aquarium?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I was told by one of the keepers that there are cages which are used to vaccinate and do blood work in which the tiggers can't turn around in, those might be the ones that you saw. She told us that it was the safest way to do these common medical proceedures without undo stress to the animal or danger to the keepers.
That's a good point.

The zookeeper said when there's a hurricane they put them in those cages too and board them up.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
One more thing. Does anyone have problems with horses or other livestock in stalls overnight? Dogs in crates overnight? How about a snake in an aquarium?
I have a problem with dogs in crates and snakes in aquariums. But as far the horses and livestock in stalls overnight, there should be a way they can get out by themselves in case of fire. Like have a door pop open to the outside when horses and livestock panic profusely.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM

miamiteacher, thats called a squeeze chute....designed to keep the animal from moving for medical processes so they dont have to use drugs to sedate the animal. Some animals are notorious for poor reactions to drugs so most zoos try to avoid sedation if they can.

zoos are the most responsible animals institutions on earth....the private sector is by far the worst, business is a close 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami