U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM

2,257 posts, read 724,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
20,000 people of all races leave Miami each year. Immigrants fill up that void.
...and that's a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 AM

432 posts, read 567,998 times
Yeah,

An emigration of white-blue eyes people occurred in the 70's and 80's but an inmigration of white-black eyes people occurred in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Who cares? Except for my gringa mother-in law. LOL.

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson; 12-30-2008 at 12:34 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,705,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
...and that's a good thing?
Where the hell did I say it was a good thing or a bad thing? I stated a fact without giving my opinion. Draw your own conclusions.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM

72 posts, read 105,851 times
These cookie cutter subdivisions that you speak of which are filled with Hispanic owners and renters is exactly what is now going on in Orlando too.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 AM

13,040 posts, read 20,007,181 times
How can there be a massive outflow of whites?

Miami wasn't much more than just a retirement mecca for generally Jewish and probably Italians and a few other NY types of people for the longest time. I don't think there was much of anything else going on there until the massive amounts of Latinos came and had business ties with Latin America, etc.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How can there be a massive outflow of whites?

Miami (by which I mean Miami-Dade) wasn't much more than just a retirement mecca for generally Jewish and probably Italians and a few other NY types of people for the longest time. I don't think there was much of anything else going on there until the massive amounts of Latinos came and had business ties with Latin America, etc.
You obviously were not here before the mid-70's. South Florida did not rise from the sea at that time. You are thinking of South Beach.

Long ago, Miami was largely people from the American South. Later on, (the late 50's?) people started migrating in fairly large numbers from the Northeast. A fairly sizable Jewish community grew, but it was by no means a majority. There were concentrations in certain area (like Kendall, which encompassed a much smaller area before the 80's). There were some synagogues, but there were a lot of Protestant churches.

I wish I could send you back in a time machine to Sweetwater or Hialeah, circa 1965. Then you'd get the idea. You'd also find a lot of good barbecue in Miami, which would make the trip really worthwhile. (Barbecue in Miami is hideous now. I can't believe what happened to the Hitching Post in Hialeah...the people running it now have no idea how to cook barbecue.)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM

34 posts, read 86,577 times
The start of the movement out of Miami happened after Carter let all the boat people in. Mamy moved to the west coast of Florida

Old 01-04-2009, 04:33 PM

42 posts, read 95,399 times
I think it's possible to point the finger to Carter and the Mariel? boat lift. As the beginning of the white flight more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami