Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,666,843 times

Advertisements

I like the iron fences if they are done right but it bothers me when all the trees are torn out of a yard; I'll agree with that. However, this seems to be a working class/lower middle class Cuban thing; you tend to see a lot of palm trees and lush foliage in more upscale Cuban areas.

On a side note, lots of Anglos in the Keys areas have an aversion to trees too. I can't tell you how many of the houses down there have just pea rock in the rock and virtually no trees! Tallrick, where my parents live, we are in only house on the entire block that has grass and lush landscaping. Most everyone else has pea rock in the entire yard - or even worse, bare, unworked, rocky land. Here's a picture of my parents' yard; it's interesting that in such a lush, tropical place so few people take advantage of the climate to plant lush gardens! Anyone else care to post pictures of their Miami / Keys yard?

Last edited by Marlin331; 09-20-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
I am surprised they can grow grass. It all dies from November-July where I am at. Most homes around here have the white gravel yards I don't have pics of my yard, but it's all trees so it's the same as being in the woods.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I am surprised they can grow grass. It all dies from November-July where I am at. Most homes around here have the white gravel yards I don't have pics of my yard, but it's all trees so it's the same as being in the woods.
That's so weird. My dad doesn't even water the grass because it rains about 50 inches per year in the Keys and I guess that's enough to sustain the grass. I used to help him with the landscaping when I was a kid and lived there and I don't ever remembering having to water the grass then either. Some of the exotic (non-native) palms, however, have to be watered during the "dry season."

About your yard, I guess you are in one of the hardwood "hammock" areas in Key Largo. I like those large, mature trees because they are very unique to the Keys. To many people's surprise, Kendall is far more lush than most of the Keys! Marathon, much of Big Pine, most of the Lower Keys... it's a sea of really, really crappy (non-existant) landscaping and gravel yards.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,291 times
In any event, Hialeah is a special kind of hell. Here you will encounter the rudest, in-your-face arrognat and most disrespectful and ungrateful people you will ever come across. To me, Hialeah is the breakdown of civil society. Forget about values, the prevading values here are not representative of Latin or American countries. Hialeah is truely a combination of the worst of American and Latin cultures combined. The older generation does not want to assimilate, the younger generation assimilates all of the negative images from the media (gangster life, drugs, blin bling). It is so sad.
is it any better in the little havana/shenandoah area? i mean the drug usage, lack of assimilation, etc. forget about trees for 10 seconds.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM

I agree with eaglecall about people's mediocre values, restaurants, etc. I don't know how old eaglecall is, but as someone who is quickly approaching 40, and who has lived in Hialeah all those years, I have this to say: Some of the white Americans who lived in Hialeah when I was a child (early 70's) were an absolute gutter mess. They would drink, pass out on the sidewalks, drive in reverse out of their local watering holes,take pisses and dumps anywhere. Pure abominations. I guess it would be like comparing the Hispanics of Hialeah today. Many are absolute crap, to a point that I don't associate with them, but others are regular, clean, honest, hardworking, meek, humble, goal oriented citizens, who love this country just like their American counterparts.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
If you want to see how the Third World lives, just go to Hialeah.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Your house looks very nice. i can see you are a proud homeowner. i would love to have you as a neighbor.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM

can i remind you guys that the shanty town type homes along the Okeechobee canal are in Medley,NOT Hialeah. i am not saying the apartments on Okeechobee are any better, but if you are going to bash, get your facts in order.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
can i remind you guys that the shanty town type homes along the Okeechobee canal are in Medley,NOT Hialeah. i am not saying the apartments on Okeechobee are any better, but if you are going to bash, get your facts in order.
You're right; the other side of 27 is Medley. About the aesthetics of the Hialeah area in general, lots of people don't realize that there are parts of western and northern Hialeah that are clean and well-kept. There are also some very nice streets in Hialeah Gardens. Overall, that area isn't pretty, but it isn't all bad.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Hialeah….

Do SOMETHING with this place, for the love of god. I’ve seen some run down areas in my time, but Hialeah looks like it belongs in Tijuana Mexico, not in a city in the United States. It’s such a barren wasteland, where homeowners would rather concrete their front yard than actually consider planting vegetation there. Apartments in Hialeah look like cheap motels and none of them have any kind of view. The area around 49th Street is simply disgusting and it needs to be flattened. Miami drivers are bad, but Hialeah drivers are 10,000 times worse because they got their licenses in Havana or Santo Domingo. What Hialeah needs is some major investment – some parks, nice housing and some movie theaters. People call it “the city of progress”, but in all the time I’ve lived here, I’m not really feeling that progress. Maybe some wasps need to move in, or something……god…..I feel for the place, I really do.
As long as FOB immigrants move into Hialeah, there's not a thing the county can do to straighten that city up.

The last time i went to Hialeah was 1 year ago, I never liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami