U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,744,850 times
Some people are really rude but I wouldn't say it is the majority. I do agree though many don't open doors and are terrible drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 PM

168 posts, read 275,528 times
My experience is that most people down there are rude and some are nice.

One time I was in K-Mart and my shopping cart got caught on another woman's cart. I said "oops, sorry" but she just shook her cart angrily until it came loose. She had a scowl on her face that would make the devil look like a sweetie pie. If that had happened anywhere else in Florida, when I said "oops, sorry" the woman would have said "that's OK" and we'd giggle as we tried to get the carts loose. We'd then bid each other a friendly farewell. That's called civility. You're not going to find much of that down Miami way.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,198,015 times
Tampa is big, spread out, and very boring. I would only live in the Tampa area if I could live in Clearwater in a waterfront, single family home big enough to put a 60 foot Hatteras and a 25 Contender. The days for buying 100 feet on the water in Clearwater for $400,000 have passed, Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys offer much better fishing, plus BLUE water, not GREEN water.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM

4,592 posts, read 4,639,307 times
Miami is a real city, Tampa is not. Tampa is a city its fine if you want a nice climate and some things to do. But really the two cities can not compare. Miami is an international commerce hub. 3rd largest International Airport for International Passenger. The Two worlds largest crusie ship ports, Two major International airports, a major international Finance centre. World famous Night life, 4 professional sports teams. Tampa is missing the NBA.
Miami is a true urban centre, its a global city. Living in Miami is like living in Latin America more than living in the US. Tampa is somewhat Southern. I never been to Tampa much but the two cities really have nothing in common except for there baseball teams and being in the State of Florida.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,141,708 times
Does having a baseball team that usually plays in a nearly empty stadium make Miami any more real?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM

10,038 posts, read 12,538,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelibyan View Post
I moved to Miami from Tampa in 2006. I have strong opinions (both pro and con) about both.
What are your thoughts?
Glad I moved away from Miami,love it in the Tampa area,will never go back.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Does having a baseball team that usually plays in a nearly empty stadium make Miami any more real?
Yes.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 555,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami is a real city, Tampa is not. Tampa is a city its fine if you want a nice climate and some things to do. But really the two cities can not compare. Miami is an international commerce hub. 3rd largest International Airport for International Passenger. The Two worlds largest crusie ship ports, Two major International airports, a major international Finance centre. World famous Night life, 4 professional sports teams. Tampa is missing the NBA.
Miami is a true urban centre, its a global city. Living in Miami is like living in Latin America more than living in the US. Tampa is somewhat Southern. I never been to Tampa much but the two cities really have nothing in common except for there baseball teams and being in the State of Florida.
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with your first sentence:

"Miami is a real city, Tampa is not"

Neither of them are "real cities", in the sense of New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle or Los Angeles.

Tampa is a smaller metro area than Miami, but last time I was there, I recall that although smaller, Downtown Tampa was a *lot* cleaner and nicer than Downtown Miami. Tampa is still part of the United States, while Miami is not even an "American" city anymore.

Traffic was bad last time I was in Tampa, but guess what? Drivers there (generally speaking) didn't drive in a dangerous, reckless, stupid and clueless manner.

Miami is no "commerce hub", unless you consider all the dodgy business, corruption and banana republic ethics as true "commerce".

Miami International Airport SUCKS, despite the millions of dollars wasted on that lame attempt to improve it. MIA is chaos, just like Miami itself and if Fort Lauderdale had any sense, they'd expand Fort Lauderdale Airport and make FTL the "hub" instead of MIA.

Miami doesn't have night life -- Miami Beach does, if you're into "daclub", reggaeton music, pop/dance music, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, T.I. and all that mindless cr*p. Miami Beach is also heavily overrated, IMO....it's tacky, overpriced, noisy and dirty.

Miami is a missed opportunity, IMO. It could have been a true "melting pot" of different cultures, instead of predominantly Hispanic. True urban renewal could have been achieved if the politicians here weren't so corrupt and greedy, along with the mindless developers, building dozens of those (empty) condo buildings (that is not urban renewal). Instead of investing in parks, mass transit, schools and instead of encouraging retail and commerce into Downtown Miami, all we have to show for our wasted tax dollars is a bunch of empty condo buildings.

Is Miami a "world city"? Hell no! It doesn't even come close and it shoudn't elevate itself above the likes of Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville, because that'd just be arrogant and untrue (Miamians are known for their arrogance though, among other things). A "world city" has a heart, a soul, character, true diversity, proper infrastructure, museums, parks and actual zoning laws that prevent rampant overdevelopment -- Miami has virtually none of those things.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

I have to agree with Bcreass.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,175,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with your first sentence:

"Miami is a real city, Tampa is not"

Neither of them are "real cities", in the sense of New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle or Los Angeles.

Tampa is a smaller metro area than Miami, but last time I was there, I recall that although smaller, Downtown Tampa was a *lot* cleaner and nicer than Downtown Miami. Tampa is still part of the United States, while Miami is not even an "American" city anymore.

Traffic was bad last time I was in Tampa, but guess what? Drivers there (generally speaking) didn't drive in a dangerous, reckless, stupid and clueless manner.

Miami is no "commerce hub", unless you consider all the dodgy business, corruption and banana republic ethics as true "commerce".

Miami International Airport SUCKS, despite the millions of dollars wasted on that lame attempt to improve it. MIA is chaos, just like Miami itself and if Fort Lauderdale had any sense, they'd expand Fort Lauderdale Airport and make FTL the "hub" instead of MIA.

Miami doesn't have night life -- Miami Beach does, if you're into "daclub", reggaeton music, pop/dance music, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, T.I. and all that mindless cr*p. Miami Beach is also heavily overrated, IMO....it's tacky, overpriced, noisy and dirty.

Miami is a missed opportunity, IMO. It could have been a true "melting pot" of different cultures, instead of predominantly Hispanic. True urban renewal could have been achieved if the politicians here weren't so corrupt and greedy, along with the mindless developers, building dozens of those (empty) condo buildings (that is not urban renewal). Instead of investing in parks, mass transit, schools and instead of encouraging retail and commerce into Downtown Miami, all we have to show for our wasted tax dollars is a bunch of empty condo buildings.

Is Miami a "world city"? Hell no! It doesn't even come close and it shoudn't elevate itself above the likes of Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville, because that'd just be arrogant and untrue (Miamians are known for their arrogance though, among other things). A "world city" has a heart, a soul, character, true diversity, proper infrastructure, museums, parks and actual zoning laws that prevent rampant overdevelopment -- Miami has virtually none of those things.

I have never been to MIAMI, but I am planning a trip for this summer, which is why I clicked on this forum. Everyone has there opinions on whether they like or dislike MIAMI or any city in general.

I am just wondering .... how can MIAMI not be a city because it has more people than the some of the ones that you listed?

I am not trying to start an argument... I am just wondering. The only city that I have been to out of the four listed below is Atlanta

Miami Metro Area = 5,413,212
Atlanta Metro Area = 5,278,904
Boston Metro Area = 4,482,857
Seattle Metro Area = 3,309,347
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami