Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM

71 posts, read 140,828 times

Advertisements

Hello people,

I will be moving to Miami in about 6 weeks from the Pacific Northwest. I think I will be driving so far, unless my truck gets sold before hand.

I will be working in Zip Code 33149. Ideally, I would not like to drive for more than 30 minutes to the work location - yeah, I have heard traffic can get awful at times. We are a family of 5, so we think we will need to rent a 3BR/2Bath house/apartment until we get to know the area pretty well and start looking for a house to buy.

Our budget is tight for the moment. We are budgeting between $800 to $1200 for the rental. School is very important for the us/kids, therefore, if we could be near a public one with a good rating, it will be wonderful.

I have heard there are very bad areas in Miami, and we are trying to avoid those because our kids' ages (6 through 14). We are very frugal people (I guess you have to be when money is tight, right?!), and my wife and I speak Spanish (kids are still learning)

I have been told to look in the areas such as: The Road, Coconut Grove and North of 8th St. (wherever those may be). I am wondering if anyone here would have any insightful information as for where a family with young children in a budget could move to (that is not the ghetto).

Thanks and I truly appreciate your input!
sunshinejoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
$800 - $1200 isn't going to get you much close to Key Biscayne in a nice area. The Roads, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables will be out of your budget. Try looking in Homestead, you should be able to find a nice 3/2 house.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM

367 posts, read 938,253 times
1200 for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom perhaps...

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
$800 - $1200 isn't going to get you much close to Key Biscayne in a nice area. The Roads, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables will be out of your budget. Try looking in Homestead, you should be able to find a nice 3/2 house.
Thanks for the input doggiebus.

I was looking it up on Google maps and apparently it is a little too far away from where I will be working (45 min drive). Any other options perhaps?

Last edited by sunshinejoe; 05-29-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
1200 for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom perhaps...
Wow! Definitely too small for us. Kids are growing too fast, too soon for a 2Bd/1Ba.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
Doggiebus made a realisic reply....but unfortunately the schools in Homestead leave a lot to be desired.

In essence, you won't find what you are looking for in Dade County. You will have to increase your budget dramatically to be able to afford the Roads, the Gables or the Grove. Those are the areas you should be looking at. If you can't find anything in your price range in those areas, there is suburban hell: Kendall. It will be cheaper and the schools aren't great but not horrible either.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Doggiebus made a realisic reply....but unfortunately the schools in Homestead leave a lot to be desired.

In essence, you won't find what you are looking for in Dade County. You will have to increase your budget dramatically to be able to afford the Roads, the Gables or the Grove. Those are the areas you should be looking at. If you can't find anything in your price range in those areas, there is suburban hell: Kendall. It will be cheaper and the schools aren't great but not horrible either.
Is South Miami better than North or NE Miami when it comes to housing (for that price range) and schools? Any areas I should avoid to live at all costs given the needs?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
South Miami as in the city or region? South Miami has a cheap section with high crime. It also has nice areas that are way beyond your budget.

You really won't find good schools anywhere in Dade County that is cheap. Even nice areas can have bad schools.

With that said, NE might be cheaper and more urban...but the schools aren't any better, and most likely worse.

I would really shoot for the Roads if I were you or somewhere near Coral Way between downtown and Coral Gables, like Shenandoah or Silver Bluff. The schools are reasonable and the prices, although high for you, are probably your best compromise of safe, close to work and a decent area to live in.

NE has nice areas very near bad areas and the cheap areas will be the transition neighborhoods (bad schools) and you will be farthur from your job.

Look for a house in the Grove, Gables, Little Gables, West Miami, Shenandoah, The Roads, Silver Bluff and surrounding areas. All are nice and liveable and have what you want...but the prices are simply higher than what you want to pay, it is Miami after all.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Thanks for the input doggiebus.

I was looking it up on Google maps and apparently it is a little too far away from where I will be working (45 min drive). Any other options perhaps?
Basically your going to have to up your budget if you want to live closer in a decent area. 3/2 townhouse/apartment in Kendall will be around $1600. And depending on what part of Kendall you are living you looking at a 45 minute commute. You might be able to find something in your budget closer but it will be in a rough part of Miami, you wouldn't want to live there. So its either live in a nice house in a decent area with a long commute or live in a rough area with a shorter commute with your budget. Or look into a 2/1 apartment. Sorry I don't have a better answer than this.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 AM

Yeah, I think 30 min. commute would be best, doggiebus. How about living in the area near Miami Shores, El Portal, Biscaine Park?

Is East of Hialeah awful? I have read that housing is a little more affordable.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami