U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 PM

49 posts, read 7,914 times

Advertisements

Miami News - Crash Dummies - page 1 - Miami New Times
The City of Miami ranks first in the nation in terms of pedestrians run over by cars. About six of every 100,000 people are killed each year, according to the most recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That’s more than New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Phoenix.

• Carlos Ventura turned himself in after backing over a ten-year-old boy

• Casimir Wrobel is accused of running down a Vietnam veteran
Subject(s):

Hit-and-runs

In about two of every three of those deaths, the driver simply takes off. Indeed Miami-Dade is the hit-and-run capital of the Southeast. Last year the county saw 46 such fatalities, almost one per week. That's quadruple the number in Hillsborough County, which includes Tampa, and a third higher than Broward and Palm Beach combined. In Fulton County, Georgia, where Atlanta is located, only seventeen people were nailed by motorists who fled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,211,498 times
You're relying information from a newspaper article.

I poked around the NHTSA site and haven't yet found the data in question, but I did find this:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811016.PDF (PDF document)

On page two it says that Florida is in the bottom third of states for "Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities As a Percentage of Total Fatalities, 2007".

From year 2000 statistics, Florida had a higer rate (per capita) of pedestrian fatalities of any state (beaten only by Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico):

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/ncsa/tsf2000/2000pedfacts.pdf (broken link)

(see page 6).

Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 7,914 times
"From year 2000 statistics, Florida had a higer rate (per capita) of pedestrian fatalities of any state (beaten only by Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico):"

There you go. Most out of any state and I bet Miami had the worst stats for the cities in FL. Not hard to believe, and yes, I bet the news article is right. 46 hit and runs in Miami in one year? ALMOST ONE PER WEEK! SAD!

Puerto Rico 4.8???????????? No wonder its so bad in Orlando.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM

35 posts, read 59,706 times
[/quote]In about two of every three of those deaths, the driver simply takes off. Indeed Miami-Dade is the hit-and-run capital of the Southeast. Last year the county saw 46 such fatalities, almost one per week. In Fulton County, Georgia, where Atlanta is located, only seventeen people were nailed by motorists who fled.[/quote]

Dade County has about 2,400,000 people, Fulton county has about 900,000 people. So Dade really isnt that much higher than Fulton County. Dade is a little higher but they are almost the same.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
In about two of every three of those deaths, the driver simply takes off. Indeed Miami-Dade is the hit-and-run capital of the Southeast. Last year the county saw 46 such fatalities, almost one per week. In Fulton County, Georgia, where Atlanta is located, only seventeen people were nailed by motorists who fled.
Quote:
Dade County has about 2,400,000 people, Fulton county has about 900,000 people. So Dade really isnt that much higher than Fulton County. Dade is a little higher but they are almost the same.
2006 population estimates from the U.S. census Web site: State and County QuickFacts

Miami-Dade County, FL: 2,402,208
Fulton County, GA: 960,009

(46/2,400,000) x 100,000 = 1.92 per 100,000 (Dade)
(17/960,000) x 100,000 = 1.77 per 100,000 (Fulton)

Not a huge difference. And I'm taking the unreferenced word of a forum poster/newspaper article for the number of deaths.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
There you go. Most out of any state and I bet Miami had the worst stats for the cities in FL.
I know you want to believe that. It may even be true. It may not be. I'd like to see the data.

Quote:
Not hard to believe, and yes, I bet the news article is right.
Nothing that you've already convinced yourself of is hard to believe. It's what religions depend on.

Quote:
46 hit and runs in Miami in one year? ALMOST ONE PER WEEK! SAD!
Is that number really correct? I don't know. I don't like to make assumptions based on a newspaper article. If it is correct, is the number wildly different from a lot of other urban areas? Without having the data, we can only guess.

Quote:
Puerto Rico 4.8???????????? No wonder its so bad in Orlando.
Puerto Rico isn't actually Orlando. Do you have numbers for Orlando?

Sometimes I wonder, how could Bush have been elected, and then reelected. How naive am I? People will believe whatever their guts lead them to believe.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 2,328,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
2006 population estimates from the U.S. census Web site: State and County QuickFacts

Miami-Dade County, FL: 2,402,208
Fulton County, GA: 960,009

(46/2,400,000) x 100,000 = 1.92 per 100,000 (Dade)
(17/960,000) x 100,000 = 1.77 per 100,000 (Fulton)

Not a huge difference. And I'm taking the unreferenced word of a forum poster/newspaper article for the number of deaths.
You're putting an awful lot of trust in the Kangaroo authorities of Miami to report crimes accurately... I think the recent 3rd world background/descendence of the offenders AND the public servants who respond/report these offenses gives an inaccurate tally of offenses.

After all, all of these offenses are speculative. A 'hit and run' to a gringo cop from the Midwest might be reported simply as 'careless driving' in Miami due to the prevelance of corruption and low standards here...

Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You're putting an awful lot of trust in the Kangaroo authorities of Miami to report crimes accurately... I think the recent 3rd world background/descendence of the offenders AND the public servants who respond/report these offenses gives an inaccurate tally of offenses.

After all, all of these offenses are speculative. A 'hit and run' to a gringo cop from the Midwest might be reported simply as 'careless driving' in Miami due to the prevelance of corruption and low standards here...
Okay, fine, then there are no useful statistics. We can't say anything authoritative then. We can speculate, express our gut feelings, project our prejudice, but we can't really say anything useful about the incidence of hit-and-run accidents here. I'm sure that won't stop us from drawing all kinds of conclusions though.

I'm not sure why you'd trust the police in Fulton County any more than you'd trust the police in Dade. (We're talking about state, county, and local police.)

Miami's Chief of Police is a white guy from the North. Just saying.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 AM

99 posts, read 263,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Okay, fine, then there are no useful statistics. We can't say anything authoritative then. We can speculate, express our gut feelings, project our prejudice, but we can't really say anything useful about the incidence of hit-and-run accidents here. I'm sure that won't stop us from drawing all kinds of conclusions though.

I'm not sure why you'd trust the police in Fulton County any more than you'd trust the police in Dade. (We're talking about state, county, and local police.)

Miami's Chief of Police is a white guy from the North. Just saying.
Miami Dade's Police director is a black guy....oh....thats right...snap!
Just killed my case with Mr. Libre.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 AM

50,261 posts, read 47,603,261 times
walking in the shopping center here can be very dangerous, they hit people on foot alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami