Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
This is a hard subject to broach. Personally, I think those who do not respect the Flag of this country should suffer a form of punishment, but the question is how do you do that without trampeling all over the constitution?
You don't. You have a choice of a country that allows free political expression, or a country that's more like Cuba. You have no constitutional right not to be offended.

After we punish people who "disrespect" our flag (by flying another country's flag?), do we go after other people whose political views we find distasteful? Where does it end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The rigth to free expression is not unlimited. We already have laws regarding the display of flags. For example, when flying the American flag and other flags no flag can be higher than the Amercian flag. If these guys whould add an American flag to their rearview mirros to go along with the forign flag I'd have no problem with that at all. I would feel it would be like they were then saying "I'm a Cuban-American" instead of "I'm a Cuban". BIG difference for me.
Are you going to police your neighborhood, and turn in the people whose displays don't comport with your idea of patriotism? Do you think East Germany had the right idea, where citizens would regularly turn in each other?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
A lot of people come here just to earn money. They have no loyalty to this country except what they can milk out of it. They send the cash back home to their families, which is a net drain on wealth in this country even before you consider all of the government programs that are provided to them for free (health care, school, etc.).

I don't think the average illegal alien has any loyalty to this country. In fact, they probably resent having to be here and make money here... even though they should be resenting their own corrupt government that can't create a stable economic situation to create jobs back home.

It's not just limited to low-income illegals either. I know highly paid software engineers who still have more loyalty to their homecountry (China) than to America. If we ever got into a hot war with China you can expect a LOT of people here to work to cripple our computer networks I bet.
I've spent a lot of my life in high tech, and I can tell you that very, very few software engineers here are from China.

First of all you need to understand what an H-1B visa is. It allows someone to work in this country as a guest, just as an American oil rig worker in Saudi Arabia is a guest. They provide a double win for companies that hire them. They fill jobs that are (allegedly) difficult to fill with citizens or permanent residents, while the companies can pay substandard wages for employees with similar skills.

As far as permanent residents are concerned, I've known many, and I don't know any personally who've made a point of displaying hatred toward the U.S. That doesn't mean that they always agreed with everything the U.S. government does. Neither do you.

In any case, none of this applies to Puerto Ricans, who are Americans, or Cubans, who get a green card as soon as they arrive and are on the fast track to citizenship.

So some people wave Cuban flags. I agree, it sucks. Such is life in a democracy. I can live with it. If you can't, take a deep breath and try again.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
This is what separates 'traditional 1920's style immigration' from what we are witnessing today. In Miami, there is a burgoing Latin upper-middle class that could give two sh-!-ts about America, its values, or the English language for that matter. Go to the Starbucks on Miracle Mile, the Novecento on Brickell, or the Segafredo on Brickell to see these types.

Everything is "Hola, Hola Hola"....

Has anyone been to the Starbucks on Miracle Mile, the Novecento on Brickell, or the Segafredo on S. Miami Ave. in Brickell???

Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM

99 posts, read 425,841 times
Quote:
Has anyone been to the Starbucks on Miracle Mile, the Novecento on Brickell, or the Segafredo on S. Miami Ave. in Brickell???
Been to Segafredo and Novecento. Nothing too special of either place, wine was great, atmosphere was great, food was fine, I'd recomend it to anybody.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Are you going to police your neighborhood, and turn in the people whose displays don't comport with your idea of patriotism? Do you think East Germany had the right idea, where citizens would regularly turn in each other?
You make an excellent point .. hey there are level headed people on this forum !!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
A lot of people come here just to earn money. They have no loyalty to this country except what they can milk out of it. They send the cash back home to their families, which is a net drain on wealth in this country even before you consider all of the government programs that are provided to them for free (health care, school, etc.).

I don't think the average illegal alien has any loyalty to this country. In fact, they probably resent having to be here and make money here... even though they should be resenting their own corrupt government that can't create a stable economic situation to create jobs back home.

It's not just limited to low-income illegals either. I know highly paid software engineers who still have more loyalty to their homecountry (China) than to America. If we ever got into a hot war with China you can expect a LOT of people here to work to cripple our computer networks I bet.
Sir ... I have been browing this forum for several weeks now and I just joined today .. one constant is that your posts are usually negative , you sound like you need a puppy ... chill life is way too short .

Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM

170 posts, read 450,221 times
I don't like people who disrespect the US when they are living in it and enjoying all its benefits and freedoms that come with it. But that's what America is all about. A place where people can feel free to do what they want, say what they want and feel what they want. Although the liberals punish those who don't think like they do by wrecking there lives.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
I dont think is annoying I just think its horrible when people talk about how much better there home country is than the US yet they live in the US. Brazil is so great, Columbia is so great. THAN MOVE BACK! Thats what I HATE!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
This is what separates 'traditional 1920's style immigration' from what we are witnessing today. In Miami, there is a burgoing Latin upper-middle class that could give two sh-!-ts about America, its values, or the English language for that matter. Go to the Starbucks on Miracle Mile, the Novecento on Brickell, or the Segafredo on Brickell to see these types.

Everything is "Hola, Hola Hola"....
Why are you making this assumption? Hearing people speak Spanish shouldn't lead you to assume that these people hate this country, its values, or the English language. When I lived in Madrid, I heard English all the time at Starbucks and in the historic center where most of the nightlife is... however, I never heard anyone talk about how these Anglophones hated Spain, its values, or the Spanish language. I can't claim to know all upper middle class Latin Americans in Miami, but I can say that I have met a lot of Latin-born young people who immigrated here for college and work... they all CHOOSE to be in this country BECAUSE they love it, and ALL of them are glad to speak English with people who they know aren't recent Latin American/Spanish immigrants. In fact, although I am fluent in Spanish, I frequently speak English with most of them because they are in the United States and prefer to practice their English with people they know were born and raised in this country (regardless of whether or not they are "Hispanic")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami