U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 AM

640 posts, read 1,211,018 times

Advertisements

The cross burners left the Miami area two or three decades ago, although some of them still post on this forum.

I don't know what the situation is between the black and the Latin community at large is, but there is clear tension between the black community and the Cuban community. There are also tensions between African American and Haitian communities. It's all pretty complicated, and we haven't even gotten to non-Latin whites.

I see interracial couples all the time in South Beach, not to mention all combinations of genders. By and large, no one seems to care, beyond the occasional macho guy yelling s**t from his car. I can't speak for the rest of Miami; I just haven't seen it much elsewhere in the area.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 AM

168 posts, read 292,648 times
You ought to join the service. There's lots of interracial couples in the armed forces. The military has 0 tolerance for racism. Everyone is THE SAME.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 AM

259 posts, read 510,419 times
You can do it (especially if you have $) but are you looking for a large group of friends that are just like you?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 AM

640 posts, read 1,211,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
You ought to join the service. There's lots of interracial couples in the armed forces. The military has 0 tolerance for racism. Everyone is THE SAME.
There are only green marines, right?

You are a real idealist.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 AM

3,369 posts, read 7,597,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
You can do it (especially if you have $) but are you looking for a large group of friends that are just like you?
I think the original poster (OP) has a very realistic attitude and expectations. He is open to having friends/dates of other races and that is the ideal attitude to have. I think a long while back we had someone on here looking for rich black suburbs of Miami.. the answer to that question was pretty easy: this isn't Atlanta. However, it doesn't seem like the OP is looking to segregate himself, and thus he will be A-OK.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,996,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjon84 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thinking of moving to either Seattle or Miami (due to no income taxes in either state, I pay out of the highest bracket so no Income Tax makes a huge difference for me), and so far Seattle seems to be very racially tolerant. Blacks, Whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc all seem to get along great. There appears to be A LOT of interracial dating, especially between blacks and whites which I consider to be a great litmus test for racial (in)tolerance.

One would think Miami would be even more open to interracial dating, but from what I've read that is not the case. Are interracial couples, especially Black/white or Black/Hispanic actually TABOO in Miami? Or does it have a lot more to do with socio-economic status, and a wealthy black guy would not be treated like a second class citizen?

Sorry if it sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder, but for my next big move I'd like to live somewhere with as little racial intolerance as possible. I currently live in New York, and interracial couples (Black/White especially) are still very taboo here despite what anyone thinks (my white ex-girlfriends and I ALWAYS got stares, but never my black ex-girlfriends. It gets very irritating after a while).

I'm a 25 year old single guy, self-employed, just looking to party, and intend to purchase a condo on the beach, if any of that matters.

Thanks for all your help,
J
You could not find two more different cities than Miami and Seattle ... from the weather , and topography to the people .... Seattle is overwhelmingly liberal and very "San Francisco " in its attitudes ... Miami / Miami Beach are more like Los Angeles ... heavy latin influence , many phony plastic people , all about partying ...actually good places for a single guy with a good income . If you live in Miami Beach you will have no issues with the interracial dating , but if you go west of Brickell avenue or outside the vicinity of Coconut Grove in the more latin "working class " areas ... attitudes regarding interracial dating are still in the stone ages .

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 AM

259 posts, read 510,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think the original poster (OP) has a very realistic attitude and expectations. He is open to having friends/dates of other races and that is the ideal attitude to have. I think a long while back we had someone on here looking for rich black suburbs of Miami.. the answer to that question was pretty easy: this isn't Atlanta. However, it doesn't seem like the OP is looking to segregate himself, and thus he will be A-OK.
Oh no, I know that he is obviously looking for intergration within racial groups. And I think he will find them in certain areas (mentioned above). However, I was just asking if he was looking for a LARGE amount of people that will date interracially just like him. If he feels the need to see other people that he can relate to in that regard? I wasn't sure if that was part of what he looks for socially. Everybody wants something different when dealing with the people in a city. A lot of people actually like those "Atlantas" and there should be nothing wrong with wanting nice black suburbs. Therefore, if the OP is looking for more people just like him I think Seatle or even California would be a better bet for him. Although I don't think he will necessarily feel like a fish out of water down here.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,231,257 times
I'm from NYC too and a lot of people didn't believe me when I told them that there isn't a whole lot of black/white here. I do see black/hispanic and black/asian. That being said I think that you are going to find issues of racism, it is just to what level are you going to find it. You will always encounter small minded people who can't get past something they don't like about someone without even knowing that person. I wish you look in your hunt for the perfect place to live. Seattle sounds great, but Miami has beautiful weather (most of the time). Both places have great things to offer.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 35,085 times
Awesome replies everyone! You've really alleviated some of the fears I've been having after reading other posts throughout this forum.

I currently live in New York City, it's definitely not overtly racist or anything, but gay couples and interracial (black/white specifically) are literally stared at through some parts of the city (every borough, including Manhattan). It's never anything malicious, but I'm very observant and notice these things. Sometimes I just wanna blend in and go about my day without feeling like I'm on display, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I feel comfortable living in any demographic. My core group of friends consist of all different races and cultures, so I don't mind at all being the only black guy at a bar or restaurant, as long as I'm treated like any other patron would be (one who tips well of course lol).

I understand that money talks, so I don't have any problems with any heightened materialism in Miami, which I'm sure would be the case in the more affluent areas.

Please keep offering your advice/experiences/reassurances. Miami is looking more and more like the perfect place for me to relocate.

Thanks again,
J

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 35,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm from NYC too and a lot of people didn't believe me when I told them that there isn't a whole lot of black/white here. I do see black/hispanic and black/asian. That being said I think that you are going to find issues of racism, it is just to what level are you going to find it. You will always encounter small minded people who can't get past something they don't like about someone without even knowing that person. I wish you look in your hunt for the perfect place to live. Seattle sounds great, but Miami has beautiful weather (most of the time). Both places have great things to offer.
Hey Chelsea,

Did you live in NYC and now live in Miami? How would you compare the two in terms of interracial relationships, especially black/white or black/hispanic? Did it feel more taboo in one city as opposed to the other?

Black/Hispanic seems to pretty much go under the radar here in NYC from what I've observed, but Black/'Anything Else' invites a lot of attention... especially if the guy is black.

Thanks,
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami