Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 148,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
howard is ranked high? maybe in February...
Black History Month recognition is what you're alluding to???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 PM

28 posts, read 52,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You strike me as someone who wouldn't subscribe to a good ol' boy, hierarchical, prestige-based classification system. FIU is a good school that has a lot more to offer than a school in a little redneck town like Gainesville or a Golden Corral/Waffle House mecca like Tallahassee.

I must say, however, the females in these small college towns are way hotter than FIU's mass of 5's and 6's.
You really shouldn't be putting down UF especially in comparison to FIU. UF is nationally ranked and renouned university, no one outside of Dade county has heard of FIU.

And your argument proves that UF and Florida State are superior because all you could peg them on was being "Redneck".

Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM

28 posts, read 148,364 times
What kind of internships or on the job experience can one expect to get in Gainesville? That is the biggest thing that employers look for; experience, maturity, and ability to handle adversity. Miami is much better at developing these traits than po-dunk Gainesville. The above poster is right, there is hardly any industry/commerce/culture to practice life skills in the middle of a swamp in Northern Florida.

Gainesville is where rich white suburbanites send their princes and princesses to study in isolation. The 21st century will spell the end of 'college towns' and the onset of 'urban campuses'. We need to do something to make our college students more competitive; we are getting hammered by foreign innovators who once unanimously called the U.S. their home. Sending little Chad or Grace from the 'burbs to UF to study liberal arts hardly consitutes a meaningful contribution to U.S. progress. If it weren't for UF's fabulous sports teams it wouldn't be half the school it is.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras60 View Post
What kind of internships or on the job experience can one expect to get in Gainesville? That is the biggest thing that employers look for; experience, maturity, and ability to handle adversity. Miami is much better at developing these traits than po-dunk Gainesville. The above poster is right, there is hardly any industry/commerce/culture to practice life skills in the middle of a swamp in Northern Florida.

Gainesville is where rich white suburbanites send their princes and princesses to study in isolation. The 21st century will spell the end of 'college towns' and the onset of 'urban campuses'. We need to do something to make our college students more competitive; we are getting hammered by foreign innovators who once unanimously called the U.S. their home. Sending little Chad or Grace from the 'burbs to UF to study liberal arts hardly consitutes a meaningful contribution to U.S. progress. If it weren't for UF's fabulous sports teams it wouldn't be half the school it is.
Usually when you go to a big school and well ranked school they get you internships all over the country. For example, at Lucent Technologies, it used to be they would bring students from all over the country and send them to various locations. It was up to the student to get there and get their own place. But usually the pay was high enough you could pay your rent and have a lot of pocket money. I know of other companies that would pay for travel and room and board. So location really is pretty irrelavant.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Hatteras60 still makes a good point...Something to think about...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Hatteras60 still makes a good point...Something to think about...
not really, I knew students from North Western (Chicago), NYU, American Uni, U.M., FSU and a few others. None of them did their internships locally. But that is the plus to going to a big school, opportunities open up all over.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras60 View Post

Very interesting and it's something to think about.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
not really, I knew students from North Western (Chicago), NYU, American Uni, U.M., FSU and a few others. None of them did their internships locally. But that is the plus to going to a big school, opportunities open up all over.
Wild,
I agree with the benefits that open up from going to a big school. Depending on the programs of study, big schools have a greater chance of being first pick for internships and what not. We're eye to eye on that.

While not trying to downplay UF and FSU, I see them as being State Universities being rated many times because of their well known football and basketball teams (versus academics alone). I will play devil's advocate by saying it may not be the only criteria all the time.

I'm not trying to sound elitist about it. I think FUI, FAU, FSU, UF, UCF, USF are all good state schools, and one is not marginally better or worse than the other. They each may have their strong points. It's up to the students to extract the most out of the programs and what the schools have to offer. I think some rankings that would put FSU over FIU are probably biased to begin with. Let's look at what some people on this thread alone are saying about FIU, just because of its name. (some said it sounded like a correspondence school more that anything ). They do not have other criterion for their opinions, so they attack the name. See what I'm saying? Some people here, just as those who write these articles every year may have prejudices against some schools to begin with, giving it an unfair advantage.

That being said, Hatteras60's point is valid, when talking about what employers are looking for. I think they will find more of what's marketable and valuable for their business/organizations from students in urban campuses versus backwoods, small town/party schools like UF and FSU. I think FIU and FAU have an advantage offering internships locally because of their locations. I think what's important in most programs is not just learned in class, but the final semesters of internships and real-world experience in whatever field the students plan to enter.

There are more businesses/organizations/gov't agencies down here to satisfy the amount of students in FIU and FAU, versus the amount of programs away that UF and FSU students have to leave town for. Plus UF and FSU students have to compete with the local schools in the areas of internship putting these students at a disadvantage.

Then it becomes students' talent versus school name since UF And FSU may not be first pick in the area of competition. Let's say you send a student from FSU to Georgia against some from Emory and GSU in Atlanta. Most times, the local school student has the advantage (fraternities, social contact, local networks etc). See my point?

UF And FSU are in small towns with not much economic backbone. The schools themselves, are the backbone and money generators for these small towns, lol.

I think a student from a bigger city will benefit greatly if:
1. They have a good program to begin with.
2. Take advantage of what it has to offer.
3. There are more local resources for students at FIU/FAU vs UF/FSU.

EX:
Come employment time, let's say the *FIU vs *UF students who go to..let's say NYC for the same job interview. The FIU student may have a better resume and put a better foot forward if he/she took advantage of the many local resources while in school and during internship. The average NY' recruiter would be more interested in big city smarts, experience, along with the grades. The South Florida location is already an advantage for FIU/FAU over those of UF/FSU to begin with.

(*For the interview, let's say they both have the same GPA, credits, etc, both went to a State school). You think Headhunters are going to really make a big difference about two state schools in a State he/she may not know too well or care about, when he's looking at the resume of the two candidates). He's going to look for some level of experience, exposure and of course the smarts. UF/FSU students 'may' not have the exposure these recruiters are looking for.

Speaking about the state of Florida, UF/FSU "may" have an edge because of the names, but once you head North or West, I dont think UF/FSU means much. It's only a local thing imho.

I have a friend that was a Head Hunter recruiting Engineers in Atlanta,GA and she can tell you that the whole UF/FSU does not mean much. Talent, intelligence and exposure take precedence over having a good football team and mascot.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 165,490 times
FIU accounting....#1...what a joke...somehow that's something that gets thrown around all over FIU and/or Miami....Tell this to FSU, UM, or UF grads and they'll crack up. It doesn't even crack the top 25. Go check out the rankings.

Also, the day fiu gets dental, vet, pharmacy, & enginnering programs is the day you can start thinking about calling it an elite institution. The new medical school is a waste of money. Medical programs need more residency positons from teaching hospitals to open up. They don't need more open spots in med schools.

About UF's accounting program:
The Fisher School of Accounting was ranked the #10 graduate program in the US in the 26th Annual Professor's Survey published by Public Accounting Report magazine. FSOA moved up three spots from 2006 and, among U.S. public schools, is ranked #7 for its master's program. FSOA's doctoral program also appeared in this year's survey for the first time, coming in at #23. Also, it's undergraduate program is #14 in the nation amongst both private and public universities.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM

Yes, that's all nice and good.

But as much as you are pointing out these good figures at UF (which is ok with me), I know plenty of people (friends/family and colleagues) who attended NYU, Columbia, Brown, Cornell, St John's, Howard, Georgetown, Hofstra, Stony Brook and Emory that could care less and still look at UF/FSU as inferior state schools, regardless of what some stats say from whatever magazine. There is nothing wrong with state schools from where I stand, but you have people who worry so much about rankings on one scale, and forget about them on another.

The same condescending attitude you and others may have about FIU, I know many many people that have the same attitude towards UF/FSU and UM. So it's all relative.

FIU may not be on their radar, so it works out for FIU, lol...(Less condescending remarks to worry about)

Like I said earlier, once you leave Florida, it does not really matter anymore. Trust me on that one. Florida is not known for having the best of anything when it comes to education compared to many States north of it (esp CUNY and SUNY school systems). So it does not matter if you move to NYC with a degree from UM, UF, FSU or FIU...talent will play a greater role than your Alma Mater once you leave this state. Take my word on it.

Wild Style, let them know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami