Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Um, if you MUST be bilingual, then you should just learn the language, you can't get anywhere in Miami without learning spanish so why not do it so you can get the job, it's not hard, just go to your local library and stop whining. I'm sorry but this country is full of races that I've never encountered myself and when I do, I just deal with it. This country is changing wether you like it or not so.....good luck
Reality is you are right. But it doesn't make those that come to this country right for not learning english. If we don't make a law soon like in the next couple of years (not 10 years) that English be the main language and cut out all the other languages from the public documents. More and more places around this country will be affected the way Miami-Dade County is being affected by the language issues. We shouldn't have ballets in Creole, Spanish, etc. There should be one language ballot, English. And if you can't read the ballot, then you need to learn English. Or vote via absentee ballot where someone can translate the ballot for you, or you just don't vote and that will be your fault for not learning English. Hell, the county would save money if they didn't have to translate everything they print in three languages. I say this as my mother came to this country not knowing English and she learned English and finally became a citizen a few years ago.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
The reality is America, unless for some weird "patriotic" reason makes English the official language, which would be a set back IMO...will be bi-lingual, if not multi-lingual in the next couple of generations.

On the West Coast, Mandarin and Spanish, on the East Coast Spanish and possibly Portuguese are making major strides in the business sector and it is not just Miami and Los Angeles.

The way I see it, Americans either adapt to the country or continue running to the center of the states until you're squeezed into adaptation.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Language is one of the strongest elements that ties a people together. America fought two wars with England but today we are strong allies. Why? Because we speak the same language. Countries that speak different languages in different sections splinter into regionalism and soon find they have nothing in common with other parts of the country. Anybody remember Yugoslavia?
We must start emphesizing a strong national identity in this country if we are to survive. A strong national identity includes ONE language and a populace that knows the country's history and is PROUD of it. Everyone always seems ready to celebrate "diversity" but diversity does nothing but, surprise, divide! We should welcome immigrants but tell tham that to receive the greatness that this country has to offer they must become Americans and that means having pride in THIS country and in learning the language.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Language is one of the strongest elements that ties a people together. America fought two wars with England but today we are strong allies. Why? Because we speak the same language. Countries that speak different languages in different sections splinter into regionalism and soon find they have nothing in common with other parts of the country. Anybody remember Yugoslavia?
We must start emphesizing a strong national identity in this country if we are to survive. A strong national identity includes ONE language and a populace that knows the country's history and is PROUD of it. Everyone always seems ready to celebrate "diversity" but diversity does nothing but, surprise, divide! We should welcome immigrants but tell tham that to receive the greatness that this country has to offer they must become Americans and that means having pride in THIS country and in learning the language.
Man just read the comments on this forum or search youtube. America is one racist country. I mean we have come a LONG way but its still there regardless of how we try and slice it. I don't think we will ever have a national identity, at least not in my life time. But then again I could be wrong

Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lets get back to the OP: Miami Jobs For People Who Do Not Speak Spanish?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Lets get back to the OP: Miami Jobs For People Who Do Not Speak Spanish?
The best jobs for people in Miami that don't speak Spanish are high tech jobs. Thoe only language that matters where I work is C# (used to be C++). I can go a week without hearing Spanish at work. Of course I hear Chinese all the time but that's very different.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Why is it different Roger? Does the Chinese language not offend you as much as spanish?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras60 View Post
It is immoral when people move here to make money and send it home to a mother country or fail to adapt to the new country. Such is the case in Miami. However, don't move here and expect to make change. Just don't move here if you are not fluent in Spanish.
Hey Friend...this is America and we speak English...like it or not, Miami is an American City.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The reality is America, unless for some weird "patriotic" reason makes English the official language, which would be a set back IMO...will be bi-lingual, if not multi-lingual in the next couple of generations.

On the West Coast, Mandarin and Spanish, on the East Coast Spanish and possibly Portuguese are making major strides in the business sector and it is not just Miami and Los Angeles.

The way I see it, Americans either adapt to the country or continue running to the center of the states until you're squeezed into adaptation.
Americans are having their voices heard, that is why you are seeing these backlashes towards illegal immigrants. The common denominator of the United States is the English Language. Immigrants from Germany, Italy, China, Japan, Russia, Lebanon, and other places came to the United States to look for a better life and assimilated...the English Language was one of the important factors of assimilation. I will bet that you are going to see vocal support for English only in the next couple of years. People like Harry Reid (who said that declaring English as the official language of the United States would be racist) will hopefully get thrown out of office.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
You make an excellent point. I really thought that it was the official language already. That is my ignorance! Everyone who comes here should learn english! There was some discussion about this in another post. It should be a requirement to become a citizen - When in Rome do as the Romans - that is my motto. No offense to anyone specific. I mean this toward all non-english speaking people, not just spanish. I am fluent in spanish, but feel strongly about this. The same way it is beneficial for Americans to learn another language, it is beneficial to immigrants to learn the English language. Again, this goes for all Immigrants, not just spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami