Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
I mapped Palmetto Bay as well, based on another website's boundaries. Hopefully they are correct!

I'm still looking for some help in the Coconut Grove, Gables, and S. Miami area. Anyone with knowledge?

1. From 1-5 what would you rate West Grove as?
2. From 1-5 what would you rate the area in S. Miami just west of the university?
3. Can someone provide me with Coral Gables boundaries SE of US 1?
4. Can someone provide me with boundaries and ratings for S. Miami?
5. Can someone double check my Coconut Grove area and advise accordingly regarding boundaries?
To answer your questions:

1) 2

2) 2

3) Start drawing at where Old Cutler Road and SW Guadalajara St. meet, slightly north of the Deering Bay Yacht Club. Keep drawing the line up Old Cutler until you get to Red Rd. Keep drawing up Red Rd. until you get to Kendall Dr. (SW 88 St.), where you will go right, turning left at Old Cutler. Draw up old Cutler until you get to SW 47 Ave. Follow SW 47 Ave. to Sunset Dr. (SW 72 St.) Go left on Sunset until you get to Red Rd. (SW 57 Ave.) Follow Red to US1 and then follow US1 north/east until you get to LeJeune Red. (SW 42 Ave.) Follow LeJeune south until you get to Ingraham Hwy. Follow Ingraham until Morningside Drive, then follow Douglas up to North Prospect. This is Coral Gables east of US1.

4) Start at Bird Rd. (SW 40 St.) and Ludlam Rd. (SW 67 Ave.) Go down Ludlam until SW 80 St. near Dadeland. Follow SW 80 St. across US1 until SW 62 Ave. Follow SW 80 St. to Kendall Drive (SW 88 St.) Follow Kendall to Red Rd. (SW 57 Ave.) Follow Red all the way back up to Bird and follow Bird to Ludlam where you began. This is South Miami. **I looked up the actual boundaries of the City of South Miami, and they are slightly different than the ones I gave. Since they are very irregular (non-contiguous, in cases) and people tend to label the boundaries I gave us "South Miami" anyways, just use the ones I gave.**

5) Your Coconut Grove boundaries are fine. Coconut Grove is basically everything east of US1 from the "east of US1" portion of Coral Gables until Brickell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM

168 posts, read 614,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilingfan View Post
LOL, gotta love this board, blue collar and working class neighborhoods are BAD. That means I won't have you as a neighbor since I live in a RED neighborhood, which is GOOD!
If you had continued to read, you would have seen my clarification. Generally, working class neighborhoods (or lower socioeconomic status neighborhoods) have a higher crime rate and safety concerns. Since I own a new car and value my personal safety I'll be staying far, far away from the unsafe neighborhoods!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Crisp: Thanks for the help on the ratings and boundaries! I'll probably work on this a bit more tomorrow.

That is weird that the map wouldn't update....hopefully this link will work: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...ff1c86ab5&z=11

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks for updating the map! One comment, though. You extended the "5" area far below the diagonal canal that separates The Falls area from Richmond Heights. Below that canal and west of US1, some of the neighborhoods should be rated "3" and some should be rated "2." I'll have to try to give you some basic boundaries. East of US1, however, everything is a "5" until eastern Cutler Bay.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 AM

^^^^ahhh yes, I was going off another website that showed that entire area as being part of Palmetto Bay (which I understood to be a pretty good neighborhood). I deleted part of it, but left everything E of US 1.

I also added in the updated ratings on the Grove and S. Miami areas, and the boundaries for S. Miami and Gables.

I think I am completely caught up now!

Here is an updated link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.153294&z=13

Last edited by twiggers; 03-10-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM

102 posts, read 422,904 times
S: 195
N: NE 50th St
E: Federal Hwy
W: N Miami Av
I would rate a 3.5 for this area due to the Design District location, new and local restaurants, galleries and upper end home design boutiques, older refurbished architecture and landscaping. The rating drops, however, due to its proximity to high crime areas.

S: NW 36 st
N: NW 54 st
E: Miami Ave
W: 95
This is my old neighborhood, a 2-3, depending on who you talk to. It is designated as part of Little Haiti by the city of Miami, but it is not as run down and "3rd world" as the part north of 54th. The neighborhood changes block to block, but there have been new residents coming in due to the proximity to the Design District and Wynwood and the cheaper rents/taxes... Some run down houses and some refurbished houses mixed in with a typical 9-5 working community.

Last edited by joelibyan; 03-10-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggers View Post
^^^^ahhh yes, I was going off another website that showed that entire area as being part of Palmetto Bay (which I understood to be a pretty good neighborhood). I deleted part of it, but left everything E of US 1.

I also added in the updated ratings on the Grove and S. Miami areas, and the boundaries for S. Miami and Gables.

I think I am completely caught up now!

Here is an updated link: Google Maps
Looks good, but I have a few comments:
1) East of US1 below Eureka Dr. (SW 184 St.) is a "4" east of Franjo Rd. and a "3" west of Franjo Rd. Anything below 184 St. is Cutler Bay.
2) If you want to color in the area of Cutler Bay that is east of Ingraham, rate the area east of SW 85 Ave. as a "4" and the area west of SW 85 Ave. as a "3."
3) The diagonal canal north of SW 152 St. separates The Falls from Richmond Heights. The canal is the boundary, and I see you just have a straight line that cuts out some of the "5" area and includes a small portion of the area south of the canal.
4) If you want to add some more stuff, the area below the canal and down to SW 152 St. is a "2". Everything south of 152 and north of SW 168 St. is a "3." Everything in the triangular area bounded by US1, the FL Turnpike and 168 is a "2."

Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelibyan View Post
S: 195
N: NE 50th St
E: Federal Hwy
W: N Miami Av
I would rate a 3.5 for this area due to the Design District location, new and local restaurants, galleries and upper end home design boutiques, older refurbished architecture and landscaping. The rating drops, however, due to its proximity to high crime areas.

S: NW 36 st
N: NW 54 st
E: Miami Ave
W: 95
This is my old neighborhood, a 2-3, depending on who you talk to. It is designated as part of Little Haiti by the city of Miami, but it is not as run down and "3rd world" as the part north of 54th. The neighborhood changes block to block, but there have been new residents coming in due to the proximity to the Design District and Wynwood and the cheaper rents/taxes... Some run down houses and some refurbished houses mixed in with a typical 9-5 working community.
-I would cautiously give the Design District a "3"
-I would give your old neighborhood a "2" - below average, but not straight up "ghetto."

Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 AM

OK, so here are some more for you to do:

Rating: 5
Everything below Miller Dr. (SW 56 St.) and north of SR 878 between Ludlam Rd. (SW 67 Ave.) and SR 874.

Rating: 4
Area east of SR 826/874, west of Ludlam, north of Miller and south of Bird Rd. (SW 40 St.)

Triangle bounded by Galloway Rd. (SW 87 Ave.), Bird, and 826/874.

N: Miller
E: Galloway
S: Sunset Dr. (SW 72 St.)
W: N/S canal running west of SW 107 Ave.

Rating: 3
N: Miller
E: N/S canal running west of 107 Ave.
S: Sunset
W: FL Turnpike

N: Bird
E: SW 97 Ave.
S: Miller

E: Ludlam
W: SW 97 Ave.

E: FL Turnpike
S: Sunset
W: SW 127 Ave.

E: SW 127 Ave.
W: SW 167 Ave.

N: Coral Way (SW 24 St.)
E: Red Rd. (SW 57 Ave.)
S: Bird
W: SW 60 Ct.

N: Coral Way
E: SW 60 Ct.
S: Bird
W: SW 107 Ave.

N: SW 32 St.
E: SW 107 Ave.
S: Coral Way

Rating: 5
N: Coral Way
E: SW 107 Ave.
S: SW 32 St.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
West US1
East Shore Line
South SW22nd ave
North SE15th Road.
Upper Class homes and Apartments, Very urban area.

South SE 15th Road
West SW1st Ave
North SE 4th Street.
East Shore Line.
Major Financial District, also middle and upper class apartments. Second largest international financial district in the US, very urban good public transit, is Downtown Miami.

West NW 1st Ave
East Shore Line
North Ne 15st
East Shore Line
Heart of Downtown Miami, very urban area, middle and upper class apartments generally safe area. Very busy during business hours

West NE2nd Ave.
South NE15st
North NE 39th Street.
East Shore Line:
Lower and middle class homes, Middle class new construction apartments, new up and coming area called Midtown Miami. Urban area, generally safe with a high police presence pedestrian friendly area. More of a young professional part of town, except for the older homes and apartments these are lower class places.

Miami Beach:
North: 63rd street but also include Allison Island and La Garcie Island.
West : Shore line
East: Pinetree Dr shore line
South: West 42nd Street
Very nice upper middle class, upper class neighborhood, great location in Miami Beach Extremely safe area many homes over 1million dollars water front homes are very expensive.

East: Alton Road
West: Shore Line
South: 20th street
North: Chase Ave
Very nice upper middle class, upper class neighborhood, great location in Miami Beach Extremely safe area many homes over 1million dollars water front homes are very expensive.

Same description goes for all of those islands in the middle of the bay along the Venetian Causeway and along I-395 Palm island and Hibiscus Island.
Star Island: Very exclusive small area to live all homes are well over 5 million dollars most famous neighborhood in Miami.

Than you could add Fisher Island.
Extreme Upper class private island, most expensive zip code in the United States. Only way to and from the island is by ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami