U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM

533 posts, read 1,059,802 times

Advertisements

I've read this comment on many posts. What makes a place good enough to raise kids in? I really don't get this comment.

Also, what about the kids that are now being raised in Miami. Is there something wrong with those kids because they were raised in Miami? How are they different from kids that are being raised in Atlanta, Nashville, or those beloved Carolina kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 PM

6,467 posts, read 13,030,162 times
I will say this again, most of my friends with children have left South Florida to raise their children in a place where they can allow their kids to play out in the front yard or be able to let their children ride a bike down the street to the school like they did as kids. Now the friends I have that are still here raising their children, either one parent is home with the kids, the parents are involved in their children schools, and/or there is a nanny involved. Sadly most homes with children don't have this luxury in South Florida because of the cost of living here in SF.

I just had a friend of mine move to Atlanta last summer, and the public school up there noticed that the child might have some sort of hyper disorder, which was then diagnosed up there. And the private school down here never detected that (which I was surprised by), the public schools would of never caught that either here. Now I am not a doctor and I could of told the parents he was ADD at the very least. Another friend of mine moved to Texas, and she says her son now plays in the street with the other kids and she feels safe letting him do that. I remember her telling me, she would never let her son play in the street or out front of the house in Kendall even with her being there. Each one of the friends that have left to raise their children out of South Florida had different reasons.

Another thing is our summer heat. Mid-May through November on average and it could last longer or start earlier its just plain hot and humid outside for sports. I am always so surprised to see children at noon on sundays playing little league in August. Up North they cool down in September usually, to a point that is cool enough for children to play after school sports outdoors. And then in the evening when its less hot to go outside and play, the mosquitos could be out.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 AM

32 posts, read 92,605 times
I would have to disagree. We are raising our daughter here in Miami. We have lived all over the US and out of the country and find Miami very kid friendly when compared.
I don't understand the logic of moving because you want your child to "play in the street" or ride a bike to school like you did as a child. Times have changed. My opinion is that you should take safety precautions anywhere you live, whether it be a small mid western town or large city. I would never let my daughter play in the yard alone anywhere!
I think other people may agree with me that Miami is kid friendly in the fact that my daughters daycare has a long waiting list. There would not be a waiting list if there was not a demand. There are lots of kid and family friendly attractions in Miami - Jungle Island, Miami Metro Zoo, The Miami Seaquarium, to name a few. There are also parks all over the city. Have you ever been to any Miami mall on a Sunday afternoon? It's stroller city!
And the summer heat - What?!? I have lived in South East Georgia and in the Midwest (St. Louis, Missouri) and I can guarantee you that Summer heat is in the North as well. What about those poor kids playing football or other outdoor sports up North during the winter months, they should all move to South Florida so they don't freeze to death!
Just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 AM

259 posts, read 506,557 times
I believe it's simply a quality of life issue. If you are in the REAL average working/middle class but really can't afford a great lifestyle for yourself or your kids (enough to shield them from the suffering education systems and be able to live in a really great family oriented area where everyone is friendly and there are a lot of activities catered to kids), then when you realize that you don't have as many options as you would like, you really feel like it's not the place to raise kids. People are moving to other lower cost of living cities where they can plant their feet solidly and an average middle class resident has many more options when it comes to obtaining a better quality of life as well as quality of education for their children (even if they are not making mounds of money). Day cares/childcare is also costly of course. Plus some people are truely bothered by the amount of crime and the always-on-the-grind lifestyle.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM

533 posts, read 1,059,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I will say this again, most of my friends with children have left South Florida to raise their children in a place where they can allow their kids to play out in the front yard or be able to let their children ride a bike down the street to the school like they did as kids. Now the friends I have that are still here raising their children, either one parent is home with the kids, the parents are involved in their children schools, and/or there is a nanny involved. Sadly most homes with children don't have this luxury in South Florida because of the cost of living here in SF.

I just had a friend of mine move to Atlanta last summer, and the public school up there noticed that the child might have some sort of hyper disorder, which was then diagnosed up there. And the private school down here never detected that (which I was surprised by), the public schools would of never caught that either here. Now I am not a doctor and I could of told the parents he was ADD at the very least. Another friend of mine moved to Texas, and she says her son now plays in the street with the other kids and she feels safe letting him do that. I remember her telling me, she would never let her son play in the street or out front of the house in Kendall even with her being there. Each one of the friends that have left to raise their children out of South Florida had different reasons.

Another thing is our summer heat. Mid-May through November on average and it could last longer or start earlier its just plain hot and humid outside for sports. I am always so surprised to see children at noon on sundays playing little league in August. Up North they cool down in September usually, to a point that is cool enough for children to play after school sports outdoors. And then in the evening when its less hot to go outside and play, the mosquitos could be out.
doggiebus, I think your friends' problem was that they could not afford a home on a lot with a sizeable lawn for their children to play in Miami; also, another problem i guess is the traffic that comes with living in Kendall. However, I do not believe these are good reasons for saying that Miami is an overall bad place to raise kids! It's just there preferences. Not everyone cares about a sizeable lawn for their children to play on; there are parks and recreation centers where kids can play and ride their bikes safely.

As for the summer heat and the public school detecting ADD, those just sound like bad excuses for putting the Miami area off.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM

436 posts, read 678,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I've read this comment on many posts. What makes a place good enough to raise kids in? I really don't get this comment.

Also, what about the kids that are now being raised in Miami. Is there something wrong with those kids because they were raised in Miami? How are they different from kids that are being raised in Atlanta, Nashville, or those beloved Carolina kids?
I dont know about the Nashville kids, I am not that familiar with the area. Atlanta couldnt really say much either, b/c I am more familiar with the outskirts of Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, etc), but in those towns there is a definitive difference.

As far as NC and SC, there is definitely a difference. Miami (and really S FL in general) has this "I gotta be hard, and gangsta"-type mentaility that seems pretty prevalent in many areas of S FL among many of its youth. This really doesnt exist in NC, atleast the areas I am familiar with. I also think there are large differences in the parenting. I think, from what I've observed, that more of the NC/SC kids are well-mannered, whereas again, a lot of the S FL kids try to act gangsta and hard-core. They think it's cool, and some get older and grow up and never change, and become criminals.

There are a lot more fights/gang activity in S FL schools than there are (in general) in the NC, SC schools too. Also, it seems to me, that a lot of the young hispanic kids try to act gangsta and try to immitate rappers and they seem to try really hard to get this "street cred" too. I live in Central FL now, and there is a lot of that here too. Of course some white kids try to act like this too, but in NC, I find that far less of the white kids try to be something that they are not.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post

This is a very good post and I agree 100%. Living in NC for quite some time, I have met a lot of people from S FL. As a kid I didnt understand why I'd meet so many kids from FL moving up to NC, especially from S FL. I'd say in my school in NC, almost half of my friends were born in FL, including me, even though we were 700 miles away in NC. Now that I am older, and I have talked to other young parents or remember my friends' parents reasons why they moved out of S FL, and I totally understand. The issues I heard most were the crime and the criminal activity of the kids, the bad schools, and they just wanted a better place for their kids.

So everything Doggiebus mentioned are some of the reasons that I heard too. Another reason (also mentioned above I think) were the child abductions and all the sex offenders and wackos that choose to make S FL their home. There are a lot of criminals and transient types in FL, especially S FL, and some folks just want a more stable, friendly, and safe place for their kids. And really, who can blame them? I think we'd all be kidding ourselves if we suggested that S FL doesnt have these issues.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 AM

"Not everyone cares about a sizeable lawn for their children to play on; there are parks and recreation centers where kids can play and ride their bikes safely."

Who's gonna take them to these parks and rec centers everyday? How are they gonna get to and from? Parents are probably working, is it safe for them to get to these places on their own?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 AM

32 posts, read 92,605 times
Who's gonna take them to these parks and rec centers everyday? How are they gonna get to and from? Parents are probably working, is it safe for them to get to these places on their own?[/quote]

Who is watching the children in NC play in the yard or ride their bike in the street? Are the parents working? Do you think because you are in NC that it is safe to let your child venture to the park alone?
Get a reality check. There are child predators everywhere! NC included.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM

6,467 posts, read 13,030,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Kim View Post
I would have to disagree. We are raising our daughter here in Miami. We have lived all over the US and out of the country and find Miami very kid friendly when compared.
I don't understand the logic of moving because you want your child to "play in the street" or ride a bike to school like you did as a child. Times have changed. My opinion is that you should take safety precautions anywhere you live, whether it be a small mid western town or large city. I would never let my daughter play in the yard alone anywhere!
I think other people may agree with me that Miami is kid friendly in the fact that my daughters daycare has a long waiting list. There would not be a waiting list if there was not a demand. There are lots of kid and family friendly attractions in Miami - Jungle Island, Miami Metro Zoo, The Miami Seaquarium, to name a few. There are also parks all over the city. Have you ever been to any Miami mall on a Sunday afternoon? It's stroller city!
And the summer heat - What?!? I have lived in South East Georgia and in the Midwest (St. Louis, Missouri) and I can guarantee you that Summer heat is in the North as well. What about those poor kids playing football or other outdoor sports up North during the winter months, they should all move to South Florida so they don't freeze to death!
Just my opinion.
But up north even in GA, the summer heat isn't 8 months long as it can be here in South Florida. GA has a mild climate, where 6 months out of the year its not freezing or 90 degrees, where children can play outside with out the though of death by temperature. Here in South Florida children can collapse in the heat if they don't take proper steps to prevent that. If SF had two or three months of heat like GA, that would be great but we don't.

I wouldn't let my children play in the front yard either alone, but some of my friends have moved to places that they feel are safe enough to do that out of South Florida. That is why i made that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
doggiebus, I think your friends' problem was that they could not afford a home on a lot with a sizeable lawn for their children to play in Miami; also, another problem i guess is the traffic that comes with living in Kendall. However, I do not believe these are good reasons for saying that Miami is an overall bad place to raise kids! It's just there preferences. Not everyone cares about a sizeable lawn for their children to play on; there are parks and recreation centers where kids can play and ride their bikes safely.

As for the summer heat and the public school detecting ADD, those just sound like bad excuses for putting the Miami area off.
Humm probably not, Pinecrest is where one lived. Another in East Kendall with a giant yard, $1000+ swing set, huge pool, etc. I agree it is a preference, but most not all of my friends with children have left South Florida which says a lot to me, maybe not to you.

I used those as examples of why friends of mine left and what they have experienced in their new places compared to Miami. Now are they bad reasons NO, but they are reasons why they moved their children to better places in their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
This is a very good post and I agree 100%. Living in NC for quite some time, I have met a lot of people from S FL. As a kid I didnt understand why I'd meet so many kids from FL moving up to NC, especially from S FL. I'd say in my school in NC, almost half of my friends were born in FL, including me, even though we were 700 miles away in NC. Now that I am older, and I have talked to other young parents or remember my friends' parents reasons why they moved out of S FL, and I totally understand. The issues I heard most were the crime and the criminal activity of the kids, the bad schools, and they just wanted a better place for their kids.

So everything Doggiebus mentioned are some of the reasons that I heard too. Another reason (also mentioned above I think) were the child abductions and all the sex offenders and wackos that choose to make S FL their home. There are a lot of criminals and transient types in FL, especially S FL, and some folks just want a more stable, friendly, and safe place for their kids. And really, who can blame them? I think we'd all be kidding ourselves if we suggested that S FL doesnt have these issues.
Thank you. I hate to say this about a place that I grew up. Watching most of my friends move away so that their children have a better childhood, is sad, but I want their children to have the best childhood they can have. And if that means leaving South Florida to give that to them, more power to them.

Quote:
There are child predators everywhere! NC included.
Yes there are predator every where. But yes there are still places in this country that children can play in the front yard and a parent doesn't have to worry. At least I would hope so. Hayle the girl that was abducted from her home allegedly in North Central Florida. The news said that in a certain square mile radus that there was x amount of sex offenders. I can't remember the numbers, but I remember being shocked at them. Florida is a place for criminals to hide. Way back when the keys was their playground, now its the state of Florida, due to our laws. Why do you think OJ moved to South Florida, to be protected by the laws.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-13-2009 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami