Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
More American 72 28.80%
More Latin American 178 71.20%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,158,153 times

Advertisements

^ Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,566,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeHayes View Post
As a South Florida native who was travelled accross America and lived in many different places, I would definitely say that, while Miami has a very strong Latin/Caribbean feel to it, It is definitely and unmistakeable an American City! Where do I start? The skyscrapers, the suburbs, the 7-11's, the ENGLISH spoken my the good majority even if it be rusty at times. One quick look at Miami and you are definitely in the United States of AMERICA, no question about it. Now, the grey part is the people, who many cme from latin America and have brought with them their culture (which is quite westernized anyways) I would say some border towns or southern Louisiana might be more "Un-American"(whatever that means) than Miami. It is true most "Miamenses" speak Spanish, Creole or some other language other than English. But in Miami, the main language is of course English. The city buses are publically funded, the starbucks brew the same coffee and the radio stations play the same hits as anywhere else in America.
I pretty much agree with you because so many people say that certain cities aren't American (meaning U.S. American), but the U.S. was built on different cultures. A good deal of the U.S. is Latin American. Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle, and Miami all have different large ethnic populations and demographics, but they are still American in my eyes.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,411,871 times
I don't understand why so many people vote "Latin American city"

I have never seen a city like Miami in Latin America. lol

Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,479,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

what latin american cities have you been to? just curious

Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,835,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Yeah, Latin-American cities are more dense and walkable and tend to be alot older than Miami. But then again, there aren't many cities in the US like Miami. Truly a unique city.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 PM

36,959 posts, read 38,958,719 times
On some superficial level it might seem more like a Latin American city, but Miami is a US city through and through.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,835,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
On some superficial level it might seem more like a Latin American city, but Miami is a US city through and through.
Its a distinctly American city that's nothing like the rest of the US. Kinda like NYC.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,841,897 times
I don't know to what extent Miami is American and Latin American. What I do know is that Miami is not very much like Los Angeles. Much of Los Angeles is a constellation of dense, walkable neighborhoods with their own commercial districts, connected by quality transit lines. Those neighborhoods and commercial streets were few and far between outside Miami Beach. Miami had highrises blocks from vacant, undeveloped parcels, there is nothing like that in Los Angeles. Miami has more highrises per capita than LA, which is an argument for LA's low rise but widespread urbanism. Miami is much more of a resort city/region, while Los Angeles has multiple large economic sectors, of which tourism is only one.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,837,794 times
That's not a completely fair depiction of Miami. There are quite a few downtown areas in the metro area (including within Miami itself). Flagler, Brickell Ave, SW 8th, Miracle Mile, etc. There are lots of good downtown areas.

Also, banking (international banking in particular) is a major industry for Miami.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM

33 posts, read 67,578 times
If you haven't lived in a Latin American city before, or thoroughly visited one for that matter, and you voted Miami as more of a "Latin American City", you have no idea what a Latin American city is actually like. It's not about the language. For all I care, Miami could be 100% Spanish-speaking and that would still not classify it as a Latin American city. What matters is the lifestyle: We're still talking about a city that runs 9-5 with rush hour, your typical downtown and sprawling suburbia where the Wal-Mart and fast food lifestyle reigns, and all the huge chains , especially department stores, that mark the United States. We're still talking about a city where football, basketball, and baseball are the most popular sports, even if there is a large soccer fanbase out there. We're still talking about a city where even the Spanish-speaking people use the English system instead of the metric system for everything. It's technically the United States, and it's the US in practicality too.

Oh, and did I mention not everyone here speaks Spanish? In fact, most people are bilingual. But really, it is so different from Latin America. I could go on and on about this but I'll leave it at this: Miami, Florida, UNITED STATES. The U.S is a varied country and Miami is quintessentially American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami