U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: ...
More American 54 29.35%
More Latin American 130 70.65%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Jersey Boy living in Florida
3,732 posts, read 3,925,852 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Jacksonville or Orlando? Miami does not compare to those cities maybe LA. I see Miami as a smaller LA. Miami is very Latin American/Caribbean city. It is much more latin than American.
I always thought of Miami as a smaller LA myself.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,579 posts, read 1,005,146 times
Reputation: 1181
I believe Miami is more of a Latin American city.

The average American city isn't over 65% Hispanic. Most American cities don't have foreign-born and Spanish-speaking majorities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
 
185 posts, read 336,044 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
very much latin american... when looking at numbers and watching CSI Miami it might seem cool to live there, unless you speak fluent spanish though or plan to live in South Beach or Brickell, expect to have difficulties enjoying all the city has to offer. The american Miami moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Definitely big swaths where you would think you are in another country, and others when you think you are in a developing country. Many many jobs there also require bilingual.

IMO LA is still much more american than Miami...

Nothing against Miami, it is a very dynamic city and its own thing seperate from anything else the U.S. has going on, and love to go there if I am in the party mood... for most people in America it would be pretty hard to assimilate there. As they say, vacationing somewhere is not like living somewhere.

Driving down the east coast you go from the north, deeper and deeper into the south, then you go back into the north, then once you hit Miami you are in another country.
Please! I'm a native Floridian and I've lived in South Florida for 25 years. I do not live in Brickell or on South Beach, though I did live on South Beach for 15 years when I rented. I don't speak Spanish and have no immediate plans to learn it, and I enjoy where I live just fine. I have no desire to live anywhere else. Please stop it guys with the gross generalizations about where I live, and having lived in Los Angeles for a number of years, Miami and L.A. do remind me a lot of each other and always have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
 
2,375 posts, read 2,491,053 times
Reputation: 703
I'll tell you this much the short time I've been in LA I had a harder time finding a gas station attendant that could speak English than I ever had in Miami. Really very few parts of Miami are entirely Spanish and I rarely ever went there. Its mostly Hialeah and Hialeah Gardens that are really the Cuban cities you guys believe all of Miami to be. Hialeah is 92% Spanish. Unless you live in Hialeah or know someone that lives in Hialeah there's really no reason to go there its all residential.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:14 PM
 
13,016 posts, read 11,528,539 times
Reputation: 3249
Miami is an American city. BUT let's NOT be blinded or in DENIAL. It has a VERY high Latino population. One of the highest percentages in the nation. 38% [2,013,725] of SoFla's metro area's population is Hispanic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
 
185 posts, read 336,044 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami is an American city. BUT let's NOT be blinded or in DENIAL. It has a VERY high Latino population. One of the highest percentages in the nation. 38% [2,013,725] of SoFla's metro area's population is Hispanic.
For the actual city of Miami, it's something like 68% and for Miami-Dade county, it's estimated to be 58%. Of course, that demographics change the farther north you go into Broward and Palm Beach counties, but it is still an American city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:28 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,530 posts, read 3,990,006 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
very much latin american... when looking at numbers and watching CSI Miami it might seem cool to live there, unless you speak fluent spanish though or plan to live in South Beach or Brickell, expect to have difficulties enjoying all the city has to offer. The american Miami moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Definitely big swaths where you would think you are in another country, and others when you think you are in a developing country. Many many jobs there also require bilingual.

IMO LA is still much more american than Miami...

Nothing against Miami, it is a very dynamic city and its own thing seperate from anything else the U.S. has going on, and love to go there if I am in the party mood... for most people in America it would be pretty hard to assimilate there. As they say, vacationing somewhere is not like living somewhere.

Driving down the east coast you go from the north, deeper and deeper into the south, then you go back into the north, then once you hit Miami you are in another country.
Which is exactly why Miami is a Latin American city. Only difference is u dont need a passport lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:32 PM
 
185 posts, read 336,044 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
which is exactly why mia is a latin american city. only difference is u dont need a passport.
I'm not latin. I live here! You don't!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:33 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,530 posts, read 3,990,006 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumx View Post
I'm not latin. I live here! You don't!
so...why do you get mad when people say that miami is like a latin american city? thats not a bad thing.

i kinda understand though. I guess thats like say a latino section of boston is like latin amerca

But anyway i still think its very latin american oriented. No denying that!

mas23
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:53 PM
 
185 posts, read 336,044 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
so...why do you get mad when people say that miami is like a latin american city? Thats not a bad thing.
Because that is not what you said. This is what you said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
which is exactly why miami is a latin american city. only difference is u dont need a passport lol.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top