U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 57,187 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals, I am going to be working at Jackson Memorial hospital, moving from Boston. I would appreciate any advice on where to live.

I would like to rent an apartment as close as possible to the hospital, in a safe/ish area.

Also what are the price ranges for one and two bedroom apartments in said areas?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,290,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsky View Post
Hey guys and gals, I am going to be working at Jackson Memorial hospital, moving from Boston. I would appreciate any advice on where to live.

I would like to rent an apartment as close as possible to the hospital, in a safe/ish area.

Also what are the price ranges for one and two bedroom apartments in said areas?

Thanks!
spring garden is a great choice

Spring Garden Miami Florida by Riverwalk Luxury Real Estate

the bunnies will soon be posting to tell you that if you even think of that neighborhood you will surely die.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,683,667 times
Quote:
Those are conflicting requirements. Will you have a car?

There are a lot of UM Med students living on South Beach. At this point, with property values sinking, you should be able to rent a 1 br., 1 or 1 1/2 bath apartment or condo for $1000 to $1200 in a decent building. (It would be a lot better if the place you rented included parking, no matter where you live).

Always remember, asking price for rent is to be considered a starting point in your negotiation. You should start looking at ads on craigslist.com and miami classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale, personals - backpage.com once you have an idea about the area, to get a handle on prices.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Those are conflicting requirements. Will you have a car?

There are a lot of UM Med students living on South Beach. At this point, with property values sinking, you should be able to rent a 1 br., 1 or 1 1/2 bath apartment or condo for $1000 to $1200 in a decent building. (It would be a lot better if the place you rented included parking, no matter where you live).

Always remember, asking price for rent is to be considered a starting point in your negotiation. You should start looking at ads on craigslist.com and miami classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale, personals - backpage.com once you have an idea about the area, to get a handle on prices.
I will have a car so South Beach is a possibility. $1200 does not sound too bad for a decent place, does that typically include parking? Also, what would the commute time be like with traffic? Thanks for the heads-up on negotiation and that classified link.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
spring garden is a great choice

Spring Garden Miami Florida by Riverwalk Luxury Real Estate

the bunnies will soon be posting to tell you that if you even think of that neighborhood you will surely die.
The Riverwalk Luxury condos look very appealing. Sadly, a 3br/3bth condo is probably too rich for my blood.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM

763 posts, read 3,308,853 times
I would suggest somewhere near a Metrorail Station so you can avoide having to drive since JMH has two Metro stations. I'd look into Downtown or Brickell. If you want to drive, look into South Beach or Midtown. You shouldn't have to look for places beyond these, since these are all close and really nice places. Best of luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,848 times
Hi there,
Now that we have your price point, what is your lifestyle like? What type of area do you live in currently? Are you single, have any children or pets? Brickell is great for singles and professionals with no children or very small children. Miami Beach is not considered a family community either. If single though, that would be a great place to live. Commute during rush hour could be half an hour or 45 minutes depending on where you actually live on the beach. What is your current commute like? Some people like the Coconut Grove at JMH but it could be a 45 min. commute as well during rush hour, 15 min. otherwise.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanwmn View Post
Hi there,
Now that we have your price point, what is your lifestyle like? What type of area do you live in currently? Are you single, have any children or pets? Brickell is great for singles and professionals with no children or very small children. Miami Beach is not considered a family community either. If single though, that would be a great place to live. Commute during rush hour could be half an hour or 45 minutes depending on where you actually live on the beach. What is your current commute like? Some people like the Coconut Grove at JMH but it could be a 45 min. commute as well during rush hour, 15 min. otherwise.
Lifestyle wise, I enjoy mountain biking, jogging, and skiing (I realize two of these activities may be somewhat problematic). Nevertheless, I enjoy outdoor activities.

I am currently single, with no children.

My current commute is 15-20min, long enough to annoy. To that end living in Brickell and taking the metro sounds appealing. Also, it would be nice to be within walking distance of stores and restaurants. As a guy, do you risk life and limb taking the metro late at night?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,848 times
I say Brickell would be great. There are great new developments right in the UM/JMH area but you may not want to jog in that area. Your commute might be decreased to five minutes if you selected that. However, Brickell does offer stores, restaurants and many professionals enjoy a great lifestyle there. I could imagine you jogging in that area. You could run to Key Biscayne and enjoy the beach on a good run.

Welcome to Miami!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM

640 posts, read 1,683,667 times
Quote:
I will have a car so South Beach is a possibility. $1200 does not sound too bad for a decent place, does that typically include parking? Also, what would the commute time be like with traffic? Thanks for the heads-up on negotiation and that classified link.
It may include parking -- or not. I would not take an apartment that did not include parking. In South Beach you can get a resident parking pass (although I can't, since there's no resident parking in my specific area). I parked on the street one night and a palm frond dropped from a palm tree that was so tall I didn't even think about it. It knocked off my sideview mirror. Then there are the birds....

The commute time from where I live to JMH early in the morning would probably be about 15 minutes. A little later, when traffic is heavier, it might be 20 minutes or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami