Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM

15 posts, read 62,538 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's is my favorite grocery, good prices, good food, healthy choices. Much to my chagrin I just discovered that there are no TJ's in the entire state of Florida How do you guys survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsky View Post
Trader Joe's is my favorite grocery, good prices, good food, healthy choices. Much to my chagrin I just discovered that there are no TJ's in the entire state of Florida How do you guys survive?
It's funny you mention Trader Joe's. Guess where I went shopping less than two hours ago? (I live in NYC now)
In the Miami area, these are TJ-like stores:
Wild Oats (Pinecrest/East Kendall)
Fresh Market (Coconut Grove)
Whole Foods (Coral Gables, South Beach)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times
Wild Oats/Whole Foods are way too expensive.

It's a shame there are few places in Miami to buy affordable, unprocessed food.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,717 times
Wild Oats was bought out by Whole Foods a couple of years ago. I believe all the Wild Oats have all been converted to Whole Foods. Wild Oats was too expensive, with some good sales. Whole Foods is just too expensive, period. They can keep their 20 cent-off sales on things that cost $6.

In South Beach, they took down the cool ceramic tile that used to be on the wall facing Alton Road. Corporate homogeneity.

I used to go to Trader Joe's in Boston (Boyleston St.). I miss it. It was an oasis of decent food in the city.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Whole Foods isn't as expensive as many make it seem. You just have to know the pricing of things. Yes some things are over priced, but some things are the same price as publix, you just need to know Publix pricing to compare the two. Sometimes Publix is more than whole foods or they are the same price, I have found. We don't have a store that i know of that comes close to Trader Joes pricing and type of product.

The Wild Oats in Pinecrest is a Whole Foods now.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Whole Foods isn't as expensive as many make it seem. You just have to know the pricing of things. Yes some things are over priced, but some things are the same price as publix, you just need to know Publix pricing to compare the two. Sometimes Publix is more than whole foods or they are the same price, I have found. We don't have a store that i know of that comes close to Trader Joes pricing and type of product.

The Wild Oats in Pinecrest is a Whole Foods now.
The processed food, the stuff in cans and polybags on the interior shelves of the store, can be affordable. The fresh stuff, along the walls (meat, fish, vegetables, etc.) are outrageously expensive, and frankly, are not that great in quality.Their fish is not fresh late in the day. Their roasted chickens are not great, and are not as good as Publix', and not nearly as good as Costco's. Given what Whole Foods charges for meat, I hope it's good.

I would hate to have to feed a family on a limited budget, if Whole foods were my only choice, at least given the way I eat.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM

15 posts, read 62,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
It's funny you mention Trader Joe's. Guess where I went shopping less than two hours ago? (I live in NYC now)
In the Miami area, these are TJ-like stores:
Wild Oats (Pinecrest/East Kendall)
Fresh Market (Coconut Grove)
Whole Foods (Coral Gables, South Beach)

This is a very sad day. The presence of a Trader Joe's is reason enough to choose a neighborhood, and almost enough to choose a state. Sadly, I will have to learn to make it without beloved TJ's.

An info on Fresh Market?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM

15 posts, read 57,607 times
fresh market is like a little bit of whole foods and a lil bit of publix combined meaning they have SOME ORGANIC food, some good quality meat but also conventional foods like cereals like cheerios,etc. Its ok but frankly I can only speak of about the 1 in aventura - it is ok at best. Yes trader joes is very helpful for buying carbs and organic produce. Not for meat though - their meat I am not a fan of .

I am looking for possible alternatives for a trader joe type store. Hales health food maybe?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Distribution issues is the main reason why TJ's and other high quality markets don't open in South Florida. We are simply too far off the beaten path of the majority of the Interstate System. Frankly, the Interstate only goes in one direction from Miami. That's never a good metric when you are trying to distribute good around the nation.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Distribution issues is the main reason why TJ's and other high quality markets don't open in South Florida. We are simply too far off the beaten path of the majority of the Interstate System. Frankly, the Interstate only goes in one direction from Miami. That's never a good metric when you are trying to distribute good around the nation.
Humm, do you think that is the issue? I was thinking it had something to do with the type of consumer too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami