Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM

250 posts, read 696,491 times

Advertisements

apples to apples... A city vs a whole state???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
California is cool and I love to visit LA and SF but I couldnt ever live there. I prefer the east to the west because its closer to where I was brought up. Miami and New York are my favorite cities in the world, their energy and vibe is unsurpassable by anything else the U.S. has to offer.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,887 times
just enjoy yourself at miami beach and the awesome night life of LA

Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Rain in Miami usually does not represent a washed out day. The rain in Miami can come in buckets and be gone in 30 minutes. The same amount of rain can fall in a contant light rain over the course of days in California....but usually only in the Winter/Spring. Conversely, Winter/Spring is Miami's dryer season.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami:
Annual inches of precipitation is 60.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 129 days
Annual days mostly sunny 248 days

San Diego:
Annual inches of precipitation is 9.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 41 days
Annual days mostly sunny 268 days

LA:
Annual inches of precipitation is 12.0 inches
Annual days of precipitation is 35 days
Annual days mostly sunny 258 days

Got it from a book I have, as we are looking at leaving Miami.
The book is off if you are talking about sunshine in LA. Not including the June Gloom there, the smog makes "sunny days" very subjective. I visit 2-3 times a year and rarely do you have nice sunny days.
However San Diego is a different story with some of the best weather in the country. Then again who wants to live in CA with all the taxes, regulations, massive state budget deficits, illegal immigrants, gang wars, etc.

While Miami certainly has a rainy season (Late May through August), 129 days of rain also seems high. Then again rain in Miami is fleeting as you can have rain one minute, then total sunshine the next. It is not like rain and cloudy days up north.

Lastly, Miami is huge if you are talking about Miami-Dade County compared with the City of Miami. The areas of Pinecrest and surrounding areas do not get as much rain as other parts of the county. I cannot explain why, but it is a fact as I've lived in Miami much of my life.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM

106 posts, read 221,808 times
Back on the topic of weather, I wonder how Yahoo determines it's Icons to represent weather for that day. If it's only forecasted to have a short thunderstorm, but the rest of the day to be Sunny, Do they use the thunder/cloudy Icon? Because wow, Look at the forecast for last week, and this coming week. (The 11th through the 22nd). Who the heck would want to come vacation to Miami Beach with forecasts like this?

Miami is the only city that I consistently see (of the cities I check) with entire weeks absent of the Sunny day Icon.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
I think if there are any thunderstorms forecast for that day (regardless if it's otherwise sunny most of the day) then they use that thunderstorm icon.

On that note: Weather alert: Rainy season is here, more storms in forecast - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
Quote:
Forecasters have made it official, pronouncing South Florida’s wet season has begun — last week. The National Weather Service said the recent string of dark skies and wet roads point to a May 8 start of South Florida’s annual rainy season, almost two weeks earlier than average

Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
I think OR can compete easily with CA in terms of beauty on land and visual beauty of the ocean. I say visual, because you can't really do anything but look at it if you're not going to put on a wet suit. FL beats the West coast when it comes to the ocean, gulf, swimming, snorkeling, diving, fishing. If you're a landlubber, there's no way FL competes with the West coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami