Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 29,758 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been browsing these forums for a while now, in order to get a clear image of the living expenses in Miami. I realized that previous posts of the similar topic won't really help me, since everyone is too specific, so I decided to lay down some information about me, my living habits and my expectations, so hopefully someone can help me out.

I am from Croatia, a small country in Europe and I am planning to go to Miami for some graduate studies so I can get a masters degree in advertising. I have some money saved up for this, however, I need some specific estimates so I can plan for worst case scenarios.

Here are some details about me: I plan to come with my girlfriend who has a masters degree in architecture (all fields, but only few months of working experience, schooling system here basically forces you to get a masters degree right after bachelor). I plan to have enough money to support myself during year and a half that is needed to complete the master degree program. We plan to live together (renting) and share expenses, we cook for ourselves most of the times (even lunch food that we take to work) and eat out very rarely (like maybe going out on a pizza once or twice per month, nothing fancy). We don't go clubbing much either, we mostly go out to bars for a few drinks and even that we only do twice per month as well (if even that). All of this is mostly because we are used to get by here in Croatia (very low standard of living) so it would not be a shock (I hope) for us to do the similar thing in Miami as well.

Our plan was to come in Miami, find a place to rent and just endure that year and a half with as least expenses as possible. We only have one cat with us, no kids (and we do not plan to have any anytime soon). We plan to avoid having a car but it is a possibility since my classes are sometimes 14 miles apart (I don't know is there any kind of affordable public transportation for that, I'm hoping for some kind of carpooling option). We do not plan to spend away on clothes much. Other activities we like to do is buy books, go to movies (once every month or two), maybe some concerts (rarely, once or twice per year) and that's pretty much it. Based on all of this I'd like to know what amount of money would I need on a monthly basis? Or, with these habits, how much money would one person need for living expenses WITHOUT the rent.

Another thing that interests me (if architects among you could help me out) is what are the chances for my girlfriend to find a job as an architect in Miami? She graduated as top of her class and from what I heard Croatian architects are very respected and wanted in US (confirmation?). Also, due to our education system here, she has a very broad education of architecture in all it's fields, but the downside is she has only few months working experience as an intern. Given all that, what kind of income should she expect?

All in all, I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me out with as much information as possible. If you need any additional info in order to help me out don' hesitate to ask

Marko

P.S.

We heard knowing spanish is a big plus so we both started learning it with hope that we can get it to some average level upon time of arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM

810 posts, read 1,572,263 times
do you have a green card?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
do you have a green card?
I will receive a student visa upon being admitted to university. My girlfriend does not have a green card unfortunately, however, she was hoping to be able to get a job through her portfolio and recommendations. I realize that is very hard way to choose, if not impossible, but for the sake of the argument, let's assume it's doable. I am more interested in costs and her potential income.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,690,070 times
Why yes, of course, it should be easy for someone to walk into this country in the economic condition it is in and pick up a job!

Sorry, but unless she can get an HB-1 or something, she will not be allowed to work, under the table washing dishes or something, but that is it.

Her skill is not in high demand here for sure, there is a glut of them hanging around after the construction bust.

She may be able to get something so she can sale clothes at a tourist shop or something, I forget, J visas?

As far as expenses in Miami, it sure is not cheap, you could of probably picked a better place in regards to that. How much money you are budgeting for each month?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 AM

Well, I understand that free job positions are not waiting around just to be grabbed by anyone, was just merely asking what are the odds and what should she expect IF she gets the job - obviously we would not move if one of us can't go

As for why Miami.. I was actually happy when I found out my masters degree program was only available in Miami - been in Miami few years back and loved it but from what I read on forums so far, I think I would be happier if I could choose a different, cheaper location. I don't know is it me, or is there just a whole lot people on this forum being disappointed with this city.

Anyway, back to the point, my master degree program is only available in Miami so that's the only choice. We planned to spend around $1000 for rent and about $2000 on food, bills and other expenses. Needless to say, we would be happier if we could go on with less per month so if anyone thinks it's possible please say so.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 AM

9,297 posts, read 14,196,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko_m View Post

We plan to avoid having a car but it is a possibility since my classes are sometimes 14 miles apart (I don't know is there any kind of affordable public transportation for that, I'm hoping for some kind of carpooling option).
Fourteen miles can be a huge distance in southern Florida. Where exactly is this school and where exactly do you plan on living? Public transportation is generally poor and very time-consuming, except the metrorail corridor, serving a limited area of Miami, and the metrocar, serving downtown/Brickell.

Since both of you probably do not have a driver's license from any US state, no US credit history, and no proof of prior insurance, plus given your ages and the fact that southern Florida, especially Miami, is a high risk area, your car insurance alone could be in the neighborhood of $3,000 per year, maybe more, unless you take a chance and skip it (illegally, but many do it) or minimize coverage to the legal minimum. Gasoline right now is around $3.25 per gallon.

Electricity will depend on the size and quality of your dwelling and your tolerance for heat. Generally speaking, if you can live with the temperature at 79-80 degrees in a 1100 sq.ft. apartment, your monthly electric bill could average somewhere around $125.

By the way, there is usually no gas service, in almost every dwelling all cooking facilities and hot water are energized by electricity.

Basic local telephone service, without long-distance, may be around $30 per month, including caller-ID (about $7 per month extra) because in the US we receive more spam phone calls than spam e-mail, truly sick.

You can combine high speed internet with that for a total of around $55 per month. If you want long-distance service on top of that, around $85 per month.

Often an apartment comes with cable television, but if you have a chance to avoid it as an extra expense, don't bother with television.

Often an apartment comes with water.

So, in addition to rent, you would be facing an electric bill, a phone bill, and an internet bill, for a total of less than $200 per month if you are conservative on electricity use. But if you put the thermostat at, say, 72 degrees, your electric bill could be significantly higher, maybe even double the above estimate.

I would estimate food cost at around $400 per month, if you know how to shop.

So that's around $600-$700 per month in addition to rent, plus whatever extra entertainment, comfortably within your $2,000 limit.

But the biggest question mark is your commuting cost and whether you will need a car. So, again, explain this 14-mile distance. Sounds like a budget-buster, frankly.

Oh, I forgot about health insurance, a true disaster in the US and set to worsen. However, you might be lucky in that your school program offers some kind of health insurance package at a reasonable price. Find out and let us know.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 01-12-2011 at 03:47 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the detailed information round-up. I am planning to sign up for Miami Ad School master degree program. The thing is, that is a joint program with Florida International University, so from what I gathered so far, some weekdays, if not all, I will have to travel between those 2 locations and if I remember correctly it is mentioned that the distance between the two is 14 miles (I'll try to dig that info out again so I can confirm). I don't really know if there is a good public transportation option for that, but I was hoping I could share the gas expenses with someone from my year on MAS and just tag along instead of getting my own car. Considering how expensive it would be for me to have a car I guess my only options will be either public transportation or carpooling.

As for apartment size we were planning something more in line of 500-600 sq.ft. apartment (we live in 450 sq.ft. without any space issue here) so in case we can find something like that I guess electricity bill could go even lower. By the way, is there an option to skip the telephone service and only get the high speed internet? We really do not need the phone installed since we won't use it and it's an additional expense.

As for health insurance, I got it covered from FIU for $1900 per year.

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,572,263 times
Quote:
By the way, is there an option to skip the telephone service and only get the high speed internet? We really do not need the phone installed since we won't use it and it's an additional expense.

Thanks again!
in some locations yes. You should get a car. Public transporation aint cheap here.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 14,196,022 times
Quote:

Miami Ad School .... Florida International University, so from what I gathered so far, some weekdays, if not all, I will have to travel between those 2 locations and if I remember correctly it is mentioned that the distance between the two is 14 miles.

I don't really know if there is a good public transportation option for that, but I was hoping I could share the gas expenses with someone from my year on MAS and just tag along instead of getting my own car. Considering how expensive it would be for me to have a car I guess my only options will be either public transportation or carpooling.

As for apartment size we were planning something more in line of 500-600 sq.ft. apartment (we live in 450 sq.ft. without any space issue here) so in case we can find something like that I guess electricity bill could go even lower. By the way, is there an option to skip the telephone service and only get the high speed internet? We really do not need the phone installed since we won't use it and it's an additional expense.

Thanks again!
Congratulations for scoring institutionalized health care coverage in the US, one of the dwindling privileged few.

With a smaller apartment, you can cut your electricity bill further.

Unless your apartment complex has a package deal with some combination of cable TV, phone, and internet, you should be able to subscribe to an internet only service. Another option is to go wireless, combining cell phone and internet. In any case, you have to check what deal the apartment complex offers.

The good news is that Miami Ad School is located on Miami Beach, not far from the South Beach neighborhood, one of the most walkable areas of Miami. You should look for an apartment as close to the school and a supermarket as possible.

The main FIU campus is located way west, across 395 and down to 8th Street, indeed a rather long, possibly tortuous, 14 mile drive. The good news, however, is that these are major roadways and there may be some kind of express bus service. Alternatively, maybe the schools offer a shuttle service? Carpooling may be possible. I would say ask your program coordinator about shuttle service and carpooling, while you could check the Miami-Dade transit site for bus service between Miami Beach and FIU.

Overall, I think your plan is doable, provided that your girlfriend can obtain a visa.

Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Wow, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

I think I read somewhere on MAS web site that they recommend a car, but I think I'll just try to get by with carpooling, student body should be big enough for someone to be willing to carpool. As for shuttle service I know for a fact they don't have one. I'll listen to your advice and check Miami-Dade transit site for bus service between Miami Beach and FIU.

Once again, thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami