U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 39,083 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Miami and were interested in a Spanish Immersion school for our kids. Are there any in Miami?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 PM

1,464 posts, read 947,336 times
Sunset Elementary is the best one I know of, and it is an excellent school.
Ada Merritt has a good program, as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,856,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
Sunset Elementary is the best one I know of, and it is an excellent school.
Ada Merritt has a good program, as well.
Add to that Coral Way K-8 Center. 60% of instruction there is in English and 40% of instruction is in Spanish.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,321,028 times
Is that how they do things now? I wouldn't know.... Shouldn't they be called "English immersion schools"??? So that they immerse the non-English fluent student body in English? I know there is a bi-lingual middle school or high school off of 8th street and the Turnpike, which advertises its bi-lingual purpose on its gymnasium wall for all to see while driving down the Turnpike.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 39,083 times
thank you. i looked at sunset and it looks like a very good program. does it have a good reputation?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM

640 posts, read 1,683,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Is that how they do things now? I wouldn't know.... Shouldn't they be called "English immersion schools"??? So that they immerse the non-English fluent student body in English? I know there is a bi-lingual middle school or high school off of 8th street and the Turnpike, which advertises its bi-lingual purpose on its gymnasium wall for all to see while driving down the Turnpike.
There are also French immersion schools (even in Miami). There are also semesters abroad at university, where instruction is in the language of the country the student goes to.

The immersion schools in this country are aimed at native speakers of languages other than the one the school uses to teach. I know someone who has both his daughters at the French American School of Miami (they are native Spanish speakers).

I know you know all those things, but I'm in a typing mood today.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,321,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
There are also French immersion schools (even in Miami). There are also semesters abroad at university, where instruction is in the language of the country the student goes to.

The immersion schools in this country are aimed at native speakers of languages other than the one the school uses to teach. I know someone who has both his daughters at the French American School of Miami (they are native Spanish speakers).

I know you know all those things, but I'm in a typing mood today.
Isn't Miami enough of an immersion enough if you want to learn Spanish? The idea of a Spanish immersion school in Miami just sounds ridiculous. Why can't we have English immersion schools in order to teach Miami's vast on-English speaking population how to speak it? I am pretty sure Miami-Dade has the most lop sided proportion of non-English speakers in the country.

Last edited by cuba libre; 03-30-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,856,646 times
The overwhelming majority of children who grow up in non-Spanish speaking homes do not learn to speak or write Spanish well. Many children who grow up in Spanish speaking homes do not learn to speak Spanish well, and most do not learn how to write Spanish well. Children raised in South Florida with immigrant parents are usually much more comfortable speaking English than they are speaking Spanish, and although many can carry on a conversation in Spanish about how they are and what they want to eat, most couldn't talk politics, business, or literature in Spanish if their lives depended on it. I fully support instruction in both English and Spanish in schools because ALL children learn to speak/write English fluently, but few learn to speak/write Spanish fluently.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,593,248 times
I know a few kids who have taken their courses in spanish and said it was garbage and BS so i mean do w.e you want but it may not be the best.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:26 PM

534 posts, read 2,207,079 times
Palmer Trinity School, private. Get outyour checkbook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami