Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 04:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,604,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I'm a thick-skinned, native NY'er and connect with and feel closer to Miamians--we either like you or don't like you (why pretend otherwise if you do not like someone)
It's called being civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
San Diego - Advantages
-Lower Crime than Miami;
-More temperate climate (read: low humidity);
-Not so many damn bugs and mosquitoes (like Miami);
-Geographic variety (Hills, Mountains, Beach, etc.);
-Waves (swimming in the Atlantic is a snooze but it is warm);
-More diversified economy but neither city does great in this category;
-Greater public park space per capita than Miami (Balboa Park is one of the best city parks in the nation);

Miami - Advantages
-Lower cost of housing/real estate;
-Warmer winters;
-Warm Ocean water;
-A mere 3 hour flight to Colombia (and So. America in general);
-Later last call for Alcohol;
-More exotic, international vibe than San Diego;

ParkScore

Old 11-26-2017, 06:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 6,460,184 times
...hmm....have a nice day....hey, let's do lunch...one man's civil is another's shallow/phony.

Quote:
I'm a thick-skinned, native NY'er and connect with and feel closer to Miamians--we either like you or don't like you (why pretend otherwise if you do not like someone)
It's called being civil.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-26-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM

yup......just back from 5 glorious days in Medellin--third time there and love the direct, 3 hour nonstop flight at normal hours of the day (i.e. not redeyes nor connecting flights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
San Diego - Advantages
-Lower Crime than Miami;
-Greater public park space per capita than Miami (Balboa Park is one of the best city parks in the nation);

Miami - Advantages
-Warmer winters;
-Warm Ocean water;

ParkScore

Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,604,634 times
Quote:
...hmm....have a nice day....hey, let's do lunch...one man's civil is another's shallow/phony.

Quote:
It's called being civil.
It's also called good etiquette. Contempt only breeds more contempt.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM

You're better off staying on the West Coast....you might find too many bruts on the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's also called good etiquette. Contempt only breeds more contempt.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 PM

782 posts, read 755,284 times
Quote:
San Diego - Advantages
-Lower Crime than Miami;

Miami - Advantages
-Warmer winters;
-Warm Ocean water;

ParkScore

Lower Cost of housing/real estate, not really and not too many locals can afford it.
Not sure why a 3 hour flight to Colombia is an advantage, I prefer being closer to Japan and China for business.

You totally missed Miami's absurd cost of living based on the low wages, insurance rates across the board are more there than San Diego. Also lack of world class companies and companies in general. South Florida tried the whole Biotech thing but it never took off compared to here.

I really do not understand how most of the Pros/Cons apply to anyone who is not a beach bum, alcoholic or playboy, plenty of those in Miami. Show some stats that apply to the working stiff, who does the daily grind.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 AM

Having lived in Miami for a year now, after moving from San Diego for 13 years (and prior to that 17 years in OC and 3 years in SF/Marin County). Miami is certainly not without its problems, but after 1 year I much prefer it.

Miami:
--Much more modern looking city / less 1970's Koll standard brown architecture.
--Demonstrably better restaurants and nightlife options for adults
--more clean cut people, less hipster tattoo type and nice establishments have and enforce dress codes
--let alone 3 hour plane ride to Colombia, a 3 hour plane ride gets you to 30+ different countries (including the Caribbean)--3 hour plane ride from SD gets you to 2 countries....a 7-8 hour plane ride from Miami gets you to Europe. Nice to be able to get to these and more places from a hub (American Airlines) airport via direct, not connecting, flights.
--all 4 pro sports teams--nice to be able to catch a PROFESSIONAL hockey or basketball game in person.
--No homeless problem...when I lived in downtown SD the homeless problem was mushrooming (4th highest in nation) and now there is a Hepatitis A outbreak throughout the city. Not saying homeless do not exist in Miami--but nothing remotely close to SD
--Infrastructure--Miami gets the edge...while there are days when there is flooding in the streets at least its city government is addressing the issue via pumps..in SD, you can hardly drive any day without worrying about running into a pothole (including wealthy communities) on a daily basis from poorly maintained streets.
--I'm a gym rat...nice to be able to take a shower at Equinox or workout in Brickell without catching other guys staring at you like a laser like they do in downtown SD. On the other hand, SD has much nicer gyms (equipment wise).
--many more beach days / temperature wise here...my definition of a beach day is being able to lie on the beach out and sunbathe. San Diegans count chilly days in the winter when they ride a bike at the beach but are wearing sweatshirts or sweaters but cannot sunbathe as beach days--I don't.
--Property tax higher but no state income tax.
--traffic worse in Miami, parking/parking fees (including when you go to some malls and buy something) worse in Miami, drivers much worse in Miami. SD is pedestrian friendly, Miami is not.
--women demonstrably better looking in Miami and they age better
--weather--most pleasant surprise to me about Miami...humidity, mosquitoes, and summer much less of a factor than I though it might be. Do not miss chilly winters in San Diego where there were days when I had to wear my ski jacket for morning coffee between December - early March nor having my skin dry out from the desert like winters...and late August to late September there is a period in SD when warm air comes up from Mexico and it exceeds 100 with no breezes.
--Residents from Miami and San Diego complain about COL and neither city is great for building wealth....you can say that about most coastal cities, COL wise--the ones with greater opportunities (NYC, LA, SF) are even more expensive than Miami or San Diego. Change careers or change cities if you cannot make ends meet.
--More bang for your buck in Miami in terms of real estate (but if you want to spend $30M on a condo or estate there are plenty of those in Miami).
--SD has access to mountains and desert--Miami does not.
--Developers rule Miami; more open spaces in SD.
--SD suffers from penis envy of LA and SF, needing constant reassurance that it matters..."we're not LA "(no kidding); we're a great city, aren't we?..it's November 15, where else is it 80 degrees (ah, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, OC, LA, Phoenix?).
--Art Basel v Comic-con...types of people these 2 events attracts summarizes the difference between Miami and SD....Miami is a sophisticated, world class city that attracts well to do people from around the world (whether they live here full time or not)...SD is an unsophisticated city where many, not all, people are content to settle for things or settle for things as they are in exchange for a temperate climate. SD has its share of well to do people, most of whom earned their wealth elsewhere and live in suburban enclaves that shut down around 9PM.
--If you are looking to live in suburbia with a Midwest mindset with lots of Midwesterners (and throes of Arizona people in the summer), SD wins...if you want urban and beach with a more sophisticated and greater international vibe (and Northeast snowbirds), Miami by a mile.

Quote:
San Diego - Advantages
-Lower Crime than Miami;

Miami - Advantages
-Warmer winters;
-Warm Ocean water;

ParkScore

Last edited by elchevere; 11-27-2017 at 06:59 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 08:32 AM

what percent of the SD workforce is employed in biotech, which pales in comparison to biotech in the SF Bay Area...aside from healthcare (which Miami has as well) and military, what other industries does SD have a great presence in and track record of job creation ?.....technology companies have been fleeing the area (many for Texas) and even the one bellwether firm in the area, Qualcomm, has been shedding jobs and is fighting a takeover from Broadcom, which could reduce its San Diego thumbprint should that merger go through. That leaves Callaway Golf, Jack-in-the-Box, and Sempra Energy as significant players in the area...who am I missing?...I'm not counting craft beer or Rubio's as industries or firms to work for if one plans on building solid wealth.

If one includes the entire San Diego-Carlsbad MSA then an apples to apples comparison would be to the Miami-FLL-West Palm MSA, which is home to Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, BrandsMart, Auto Nation, Burger King, Lennar, Citirx Systems, World Fuel Services, Publix, Office Depot, Ryder, and others.

I'm not saying Miami is a top job creator or wealth generating city within the US, but then neither is San Diego....like Miami, many people living in SD have earned their wealth elsewhere and brought it with them (in Miami's case, more international)....LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, Austin, etc etc are another matter altogether. Last I checked, Forbes ranked Miami as 84th on its list of Best Places for Business and Careers and San Diego as 48th.....not sure how much more wealth 48th creates than 84th, particularly when factoring in COL...fortunately, for me, my career in technology with a top tier/bellwether firm has not been dependent upon a Miami or San Diego based company's wages and I've been able to write my own ticket and choose to live where I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68;50233827

[B
You totally missed Miami's absurd cost of living based on the low wages, insurance rates across the board are more there than San Diego. Also lack of world class companies and companies in general. South Florida tried the whole Biotech thing but it never took off compared to here[/b].

Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,365,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Not sure why a 3 hour flight to Colombia is an advantage, I prefer being closer to Japan and China for business.
To each their own. Nevertheless, a flight from San Diego to Tokyo will be a minimum of 11.5 hours. And the choice of non-stop flights will be limited given San Diego's small airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Lower Cost of housing/real estate, not really and not too many locals can afford it.

You totally missed Miami's absurd cost of living based on the low wages, insurance rates across the board are more there than San Diego. Also lack of world class companies and companies in general. South Florida tried the whole Biotech thing but it never took off compared to here.

I really do not understand how most of the Pros/Cons apply to anyone who is not a beach bum, alcoholic or playboy, plenty of those in Miami. Show some stats that apply to the working stiff, who does the daily grind.
I said San Diego has a slight advantage with a more "diverse" economy but as noted by others, this is a very small advantage.

Both cities have the proverbial "sunshine" tax....in other words the number of good paying jobs is quite small relative to the population and demand to live there.

While Miami's wages are lower, San Diego's housing costs are MUCH higher than Miami's.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Neither city is particularly great for a blue collar family. I never claimed otherwise.

My reference to the lower housing costs in Miami relative to San Diego holds true. For many people (like Elchevere) who come from other high cost areas they can come to Miami with significant home equity which gives them a major leg up (if they choose to buy).

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami