Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,289,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
---------

Bcreass

You are a very educated person, so if they give yo the "cold treatment", it means that those people are real low lifes. I think that you are living too immersed in the SW, among rather hieratic "cubanazo" stiffnecks.

Really, 5 years is too much. I think you should move to a more "neutral" area, not so traditional "cubanazo". The same thing happened to me, and I moved to Kendall, by then I was leaving near FIU (the new "sausera") (30 years ago).

I don't care about languages, but really, it's just the attitude in those parts, people living in those parts away from the traditional sauesera are quieter. Not that "Anglos" (whatever that means) are nicer that Cubans in Miami, they are also bitter and resented, but I found that life in those areas is far more tranquil, peaceful.

You could also find new friends, not hispanics, just normal people, not haters (quite a difficult thing in Miami).
Leo, in all honesty, it's not only Cubans -- Miami just tends to attract the kind of people that I'd rather just stay the hell away from, i.e. the loud, obnoxious, "party time", in your face, materialistic, narcissistic, shallow f**ks of all races. The fact is that Miami is not for me and I am not for Miami. I didn't come here expecting to like the place, hence the fact that at least I'm not disappointed in any way. Some people come to Miami looking for paradise, while I just came here to be with my wife and cannot just "up sticks and leave" due to her family commitments.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,430,809 times
Bcreass

I've known many people in your predicament, myself included.
I assume you married a Cuban girl from a rather "traditional" family (not from an Americanized rich or high middle class family in Cuba), rather loud, maybe from a province in Cuba. I guess that the environment is rather "chusmótico" (loud) and that you are now inmersed in that environment.
Not saying they are bad, just too "typical".
I know what you mean, really.
The only solution is take your sweetheart and get the hell out. There's no other solution.
Family commitments, I know what you mean.
CAP - Cuban American Princess. Totally dependent on her family.
Tell her that you want to leave to a more neutral ground, if she doesn't want, just leave. If you don't do it, you'll end up crazy.
I'm talking to you from my own experience.
You are a nice person and you don't deserve it.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-02-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,149,926 times
Quote:
Bcreass

I've known many people in your predicament, myself included.
I assume you married a Cuban girl from a rather "traditional" family (not from an Americanized rich or high middle class family in Cuba), rather loud, maybe from a province in Cuba. I guess that the environment is rather "chusmótico" (loud) and that you are now inmersed in that environment.
Not saying they are bad, just too "typical".
I know what you mean, really.
The only solution is take your sweetheart and get the hell out. There's no other solution.
Family commitments, I know what you mean.
CAP - Cuban American Princess. Totally dependent on her family.
Tell her that you want to leave to a more neutral ground, if she doesn't want, just leave. If you don't do it, you'll end up crazy.
I'm talking to you from my own experience.
You are a nice person and you don't deserve it.
You need to get your facts straight. About a multitude of things but for beginners, BCreass' wife is not Cuban so you need to just take it all back.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,686 times
wow, so many people are ocmplaing about miami. is there a town near by, not far from MDC, that would be better to live in? i live in ky now, my husband might try to get into college there. we need a nice area, but cheap area, to live in, nice place for my kids, place i can make friends =)

Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,149,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica.davis2009 View Post
wow, so many people are ocmplaing about miami. is there a town near by, not far from MDC, that would be better to live in? i live in ky now, my husband might try to get into college there. we need a nice area, but cheap area, to live in, nice place for my kids, place i can make friends =)
Jessica- Miami is not half as bad as they make it seem. Everybody has their views on things for whatever their reasons are so you would need to make up your own mind.

I will tell you though that there is nothing nice AND cheap. Miami is fairly expensive. I saw your post on another thread. The MDC nursing program is not in the best of areas and you will not find 2 bedrooms for what you can afford, even there. With two young kids in school, this would not be the area to raise them in either.

I really think you should try to look elsewhere, not in Miami. MAYBE, some other program in another city, maybe even in Florida but not Miami.

I am telling you all this and am one of the ones who likes Miami but what you want is not going to be found here.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM

355 posts, read 1,582,348 times
Jessica, Have you considered Broward College? The central campus at Broward College in Davie has many apts nearby, and the public 'Nova' schools are "A" schools.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,879,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
the public 'Nova' schools are "A" schools.
They also have no zoned district as they are magnet schools. You have to be west of University Dr (actually if you are north of 30th st, then west of Pine Island Rd) to get into the better school zone. Something to consider. I think the elementary school in the area is good and the middle school is I believe Driftwood (average) and the high school is either South Plantation (average) or Hollywood Hills (crappy).

Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,430,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
I've lived in Miami, Chicago, Seattle, Warsaw (Poland), and lived for short periods in San Francisco, Paris, London, Portland (Oregon), Toledo, and DC. I have visited almost every major city in the US. I do not find people here to be more or less friendly than anywhere else with a population of over 250K. Indifference and rudeness are a big-city thing. If you want to be around friendly people and live in a big city, you're going to have a hard time finding a place to live.

I agree with a previous poster in that I don't see a lot of the problems people talk about here, or at least not to the extent they make them out to be. Maybe I've just been very, very lucky?

Compared to any city in Western Europe, people in Miami are extremely friendly.

My cousin was there in Miami one month ago, he raises chickens in a town near Tarragona, Spain. He went to visit family we have there. Previously he had only been in London, Paris, Rome and other traditional local destinations.

He loved the place, and they are "rednecks" as they come, their Spanish is awful and they are peasants, narrow minded when it comes to food, for example. They hate Chinese food (they think they use dogs and cats in their food), blacks scares them to death (no kidding) and they are scared of the world, as many peasants are.

Well, he and his family loved Miami, they loved the food (when they travel they only eat Italian). They talked to everybody, they walked around Brickell, Downtown, Calle Ocho, Miami Beach. They bought a lot of junk and they talked to all the owners of the shops, just as if they were the market of their town.

The only thing he did not like was the fact that he could not visit any chicken farm around Miami. They told him that chicken farms were closed and were now sheltering migrant workers.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,299,755 times
Quote:

Compared to any city in Western Europe, people in Miami are extremely friendly.

A more damning inditement of Western Europe there has never been.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 46,065 times
I plan on moving to that general area in the next couple years myself, after reading most of these posts one thing remains clear. The things going on in Miami exist everywhere. there are good areas, bad areas, crack heads, and church protesters in every city. Schools have good students and bad ones. as for kids, 12 year olds are in trouble at every school.

Miami has its share of problems but so do other cities, if you look at them all and average out the pros and cons you will find they are all about even. Lets face it, for all the people that say the schools are horrible, well kids still graduate from there with full scholarships to college. All the people that say its a crime paradise, people still get mugged in West Virginia so don't live in fear, what happens in Miami happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami