Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times

Advertisements

Bilingualism can be benign,if the people who exercise it don't hate the American identity...
Then it is just like a harmless extramarital,where the husband is loyal to his wife,he just carries an affair...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pribustos View Post
My husband just started a new job and he speaks 100% spanish all the time at his job. He was shocked at first, but now he is getting used to it. And yes, he is a professional graduate.
This is sad, but true...
Yeah, it really just depends where you work in my experience. Was at the dentist in December getting my teeth cleaned and the dentist (who is white) put out a general question to some of the hygenists around (all Hispanic women) what something meant in Spanish slang. They actually disagreed amongst themselves on what it meant so had a discussion for a couple of minutes. Never a dull moment!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Smile Thanks for the Info

Enjoyed reading your post.

I grew up in NJ all of my childhood and teen years. My family and I moved to Miami back in 1987 and I lived there until 2001. They still reside in Miami.

I moved to California in 2001 (San Francisco Bay Area), but I'm considering moving back to Miami to be closer to the family. I'm fearful that I would regret the move because I've become very used to being here. Really, the Bay Area offers so much from the nearby mountains (Lake Tahoe, Yosemite) to the ocean (Pacific, although it's really cold), wine country (Napa, Sonoma, Central Coast) to the city (San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley). I also appreciate the diversity of the folks here (Latino, Black, White, Asian, Pacific Islander, etc.) and most of all the the food and weather. Because the different ethnic groups have been living here for a long time amongst each other, people don't appear to be rude and angry all the time.

I can't say the same for Miami. When I lived in Miami, I had a lot of trouble accustoming to the city. To drive there was almost a homicidal experience! What took me 13 years to get used to took me only 13 days to fall in love with CA. However, I was much younger when I left NJ to FL and a very different person.

I've been considering some of the things you've mentioned and did cross-reference the census facts. It was very helpful. I guess I just need to do a little real estate research in regards to expenses and diversity of neighborhoods. Thanks again for the post.

BTW...I too am a teacher out here. I'm very concerned about teacher pay over there. I'd make less there but real estate is somewhat similar to that out here. Are you in a private school?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Bilingualism can be benign,if the people who exercise it don't hate the American identity...
Then it is just like a harmless extramarital,where the husband is loyal to his wife,he just carries an affair...

So what if they hate what you call American identity?
I bet that millions in Miami hate what you call American identity.
When you talk about identity, talk about "your" identity.
People will talk the language they want, the language they need.
If they don't want to speak English to you, it means they don't need to speak English to you.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Well,if someone hates the American identity,he should drop the USA citizenship ...or refuse to be naturalised...stay on green card status,if he is an immigrant...

Old 01-29-2010, 02:24 PM

415 posts, read 650,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Well,if someone hates the American identity,he should drop the USA citizenship ...or refuse to be naturalised...stay on green card status,if he is an immigrant...
I don't think the point was that they hate the American identity, but that their view of the American identity may be different than yours. The fact that there isn't just one American identity is the "American Identity".

Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 AM

248 posts, read 616,071 times
Gixxer

That reminds me of Frank Sinatra's beatiful song "What is America to me".
There are millions of American identities, but some keep dwelling in the 50's.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM

One of the fundamentals of American identity is to speak ...American -English...
in the same way that Mexican identity is founded on speaking Mexican-Spanish,
Cuban identity on speaking Cuban-Spanish
& so on...

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
OMG! years in school learning that America is a continent from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, divided in North, Central and South and now Im learning that in order to have an "American Identity" I just need to follow the white/non Hispanic USA citizen idea about how everything needs to be...Im so confuse, is exhausting...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
Your post is sad and very true! Even tough, I'm hispanic, but I think it's not fair to ask everybody to be bilingual in order to get a job! I feel sorry for those anglos that reside in Miami. Under those requierements they'll never get a decent job. Or they'll have to go to school for Spanish classes, that must SUCK! Not even at decent paid jobs speak English all the time, sometimes no English at all. Ask me about ethics in most the Miami area? what does ethic mean acere?

Hello! we're in the United States, not in Cuba or Venezuela! Everytime I go to an interview they ask me if I speak Spanish, and Spanish is my first language, but some employers think I don't (I still have some accent, but I speak PERFECT english compared to most Miamians). A lot of employers hire employees that don't even know how to say hello, when an anglo comes they don't know what to do . Go to calle 8, Sweeteater, Little Havana, Westchester, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

In Miami, employers pay low veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery loooooooow! from minimum wage or $9 the most, for a receptionist or data entry position. Rent is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!! $900 a 1/1 in the Kendall area. Insurance? don't make me start! Utilities: super high. Entertainment? Don't pay the rent to enjoy the "fantastic" Miami nightlife.

For people who want to move to Miami: JUST DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami