Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM

105 posts, read 391,315 times

Advertisements

Like a few other posters have mentioned, Miami has most of the same problems youve mentioned. I don't really suggest moving down there, but if you're really interested, try it out for a week or so. Read some of the posts on the "Welcome to Miami - Part V" thread for a pretty good picture.

Personally, I think Texas, North Carolina, or even California would be better, but that's just my opinion. Jacksonville is pretty good if you really want FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 PM

158 posts, read 647,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
sounds to me you should consider Los Angeles. Like New York its a very large city with much to offer. Unlike New York, the weather is beautiful most of the year. You have the mountains the beaches, the clubs, high end stores and restaurants, Griffith Park which is a beauty right within the city which will be great for cycling, jogging, spotting deer and cayotes etc. Leaving a fast pace city like New York and coming to Miami Florida will probably be a frustration for any person who is accustomed to doing more and less time. Miami is too SLOW in my opinion. I left Los Angeles seeking the same. Warm weather, beaches large city not quite as hectic but I can tell you I am frustrated here. Miami is about a game of patience. In big cities you wait in lines because there are a lot of people ahead of you. Here you wait because people in restaurants and in the service industry have an attitude and are slow. In the end you will be more frustrated and angry here when you realize that the amount of people you are waiting behind doesnt justify the amount of time you are spending in line. Miami is less crowded than New York and less hectic of course but the people here are much more ignorant. This is nothing more than an overated tourist trap. Do not be fooled. Miami can offer you beautiful beaches and the best looking ocean in the U.S. aside from the Hawaiian Islands in my opinion. As I said before, plan a vacation around the weather and the outdoors not the rest of your life or a significant part of it.

MIAMI SLOW?!??!
I worked in Manhattan for a while and its very fast paced and Miami is not as fast but miami is a very fast paced city!! Thats a very misleading statement Miami is a big city and its hard to live slow, thats one of the reasons i moved here other than the obvious.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 AM

166 posts, read 986,383 times
Personally, if you don't have a car and you move to Florida you will not be able to do much. You will need a car if you move here. If you don't get one I don't think your going to find a job easily. When I used to work for employers, I remember every single one of the asking me if I had a car.

I don't think people without cars get the first choice of jobs. Usually, a person with a car will be hired first. They don't care what your situation is either. I remember when I first moved down here...I was so young. I remember being told this, "After you get a car and a phone, give us a call and we can give you a job." I replied, "Well, when you give me a job, then I will be able to get a car and a phone." Bottom line...they want money. They don't care about you. They care about making sure your available on their schedule. After all, buses don't run 24 hrs. down here. Or, at least they don't run 24 hrs. in N. Broward. If your a bartender, what job will let you leave early? Some bars are open till 2 or 4? There aren't any buses at that time of the night running around here. This isn't NYC. This is Florida. If you take public transportation in Florida...it's a whole other world. I wouldn't do it. I did many years ago when I first moved down here. But, you couldn't pay me enough to wait on those lines with those people, in this heat. You would have to wait outside in the heat...or worse yet, in the rain! When it rains down here it pours. It's not like a NYC rainstorm! It's different in NYC. Even when I go back to NYC, occasionally I might hop on the subway...but in Florida you wouldn't want to use public transportation. If you use public transportation down here there is no way your guaranteed your going to get to your job on time anyway.

After trying public transportation, I then chose to take a bike to work. Yeah, after 20 minutes of pedaling to work I was exhausted from biking in the heat. I had to rest after I got to work because I felt like I was going to pass out. The sweat just totally makes your makeup run...leaves your clothes soaked with sweat. Employers really don't want their employees showing up like that. Trust me...I did this...I know what I'm talking about. Worst of all, your going to attract a lot of perverts that honk their horn and scream at you when you ride by on a bicycle. That's the worst part of it. You would think it would be so great...but way too many perverts that like to look at women, honk their horn...or worse yet...pull over and try to talk to you. That's happened to me as well. Just wait! When I just go down the street to take a walk in my own neighborhood...I just recently had perverts pull over to try to talk to me...and I always get horns honking,even with a baby carriage. One time a few years ago...my girlfriend and I was just outside talking at a record store...and the guys in the car was staring at us, but they should have paid better attention when they were backing out cause they crashed into another car parked in the lot. Ha...true story, seriously. And we're older. Gosh, I'm 40 now...don't look it..but any pretty woman of any age goes thru this the minute they go outside.

Do yourself a favor, if you choose to move to Florida get a car or don't move here. Trust me. When I first started out I did the public transportation and bike thing....both failed! You really need a car...or stay in NYC. It's not that bad there. I'm from NYC. I know what it's like. You may like warm weather, but without a car, it's going to be very frustrating!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 04-07-2007 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 AM

15 posts, read 96,165 times
I live in WPB, Fl and its close to beach, city and lots...cost of living is great...I moved from NY 3 years ago..I will never move back. Being so close to the city a car not that important...I think here could be a great start.. I rented for the first year and then bought I loved it soo much.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,601 times
Miami doesn't quite seem to be the place you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend West Palm Beach either, which has even higher crime rates. Much of those two cities are dirty and old looking, too. Sure, you can find nice areas in both but they come at a premium cost. Since you seem to like the southern areas you would probably enjoy North Florida more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami