Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times

Advertisements

People have more disposable income now that they arent paying their mortgages. Seriously, the Miami mentality is delusional - its all appearance and no substance. People in SFl love to live above their means (in my experience). I doubt it will ever change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
The excess was still there but the VIP rooms full of champagne popping showoffs seemed to be tamed down a notch. I'm interested to know what other changes have people noticed in the South Florida area from last year to today?
I noticed this change as far back as 2007. I was a frequent partying guest at Penrod's (Nikki Beach) on SoBe from 2004-2006. There was a noticible drop of clientele on Sundays that I noticed from mid-late 2007. Remember, credit dried up long before the economy tanked in late '08, and this spelled doom for most of Miami's credit card kings.

My girlfriend at the time started working at Nikki Beach as a waitress and then as a bartender in late 2007, and I got the feeling that the place had seen better days. They started to tax her credit card tips, and I can only imagine they would do that if they were struggling to make payroll or if Jack Penrod was just being a huge money whording ***.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I thought a cat 5 was the only thing that could save Miami.

Hummm. Where have I heard that before?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
My dad has been trying to buy a handy man special for the past 3 months and he said that every realtor he has dealt with refuse to budge on their ridiculous prices and play dirty games with you. The latest game is advertising a dirt cheap primo property for the bait and then when they go to show u it they say its been sold but I'll show u a similar one and it turns out to be an overpriced dump.

Also did you guys hear about that condo in NW Miami that owes like a 100k in utilitys and the city finally shut off its water. I fear this is onlyt the beggining, many condos in brickel are in the same predicament.

Tell him to come here. My realtor lives in our complex and her upstairs neighbor got bank owned. There was a massive slow leak and the realtor lady had to move out.

They ripped out everything upstairs that needed it (walls) and put new walls up....she told me they'd probably sell it for about 30,000.

That's a good price our condos go up to about 125 depending on the inside and variations.

Then again you can get a perfectly nice condo in a decent HOA here for 30 that isn't even a handyman special. Several have all new kitchens, windows etc and small golf courses outside.

OUR HOA HAS MASSIVE RESERVES. And we're on the Intracoastal Waterway with our own 50 acre nature park. No, it's not city living but our small city of only 17000 people is really nice with great parks, a theater, art museum and the beaches gorgeous, clean and uncrowded.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
I've seen less people at the malls and at restaurants. Traffic is still aweful so I guess everyone has a job, but they're not spending as much.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,079 times
Quote:
I don't go out clubbing as much as I used to, but I spent last nite club hopping in south beach and noticed mostly business as usual but on a slightly smaller scale. The excess was still there but the VIP rooms full of champagne popping showoffs seemed to be tamed down a notch. I'm interested to know what other changes have people noticed in the South Florida area from last year to today?
There are ALOT of pre-owned Hummers for sale now. That's for sure. There was a time that's all you saw in the street.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 PM

35 posts, read 98,243 times
I disagree about not buying properties, the time is right to buy. I don't buy because I don't have the cash & I already have a few investment properties which I purchased at the right price. If you know how to buy, why not? The prices in certain areas are low enough. If you purchase at an area where rentals are always on demand and you buy low you will always do well & when the prices go up you will have equity. Prices will come back up again it's just going to take a while. As you all know, everyone became an investor, everyone purchased no matter what the price was but if you bought before this frenzy & at the right price I am sure you still have some equity. You have to educate yourself before making the move and also look at all property tax information.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Exactly prices are gonna take a while to go up, so why not wait until they bottom? I still think this city is too expensive. Maybe an apartment but a home, no way. Also there is a second wave of foreclosures coming, remember all those people that got a break during Christmas? They will be losing their homes soon.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,320 times
Thank god the recession hit hard in Miami. Now, the condos went down and the home prices too...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Thank god the recession hit hard in Miami. Now, the condos went down and the home prices too...
The recession had no impact on housing prices... Values already went down a greater percentage than most of the nation before the recession even took hold. However, I'm sure the recesion isn't helping bring values back up, maybe it will force them down even more...

Bottom line, Miami's tourism and credito economy needs to be analyzed, and the frivolous and destructive speculation done by Miami's credit rich immigrants (and their foreign compatroits) needs to be restrained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami