Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be moving down from North Florida on August 1st. He'll be starting a doctorate at UM and we've been trying to get a feel for the neighborhoods and rent prices in the area. We're in our late twenties with no kids, so we have some flexibility about where we'd be happy living.

In Tallahassee, the rental market is so dominated by students that you have to sign your August 1st-move-in leases in April or May or you'll be stuck with higher prices and no selection. I've been looking at the apartment ads and made a few inquiries to realtors and it seems that in Miami, you don't know what's available until the tenants give notice 1 month before moving out.

Here's the question:
Is there a "season" for the best deals and selection in Miami? Should we really try to secure an August 1st lease now or is it totally normal to start looking in July for an August apartment? Any thoughts about whether rental prices get better or worse the closer you get to August and the beginning of school?

Thanks for your help with our next adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 38,403 times
Hi,

My name is Andrea, I am a former UM student and need to rent my 1/1 apartment located at Brickell Roads. I just got married last august and moved to South America. A friend who was currently renting it is graduating from a UM grad program and moving. Available June 1.

There are three other UM Grad Med students in the building. I own this apartment; it is a new small cozy building in a great location. Isn't fancy, elegant or big. It is close to Publix, Walgreens, 95 and in walking distance from Miami Metro-Rail and Metro. All neighbors are young professional. In Brickell you would find many large buildings with great luxury amenities but half empty. Due to the economy many buildings are closing their pools and lowering their maintenance schedules so be aware of Monthly SALES around because large buildings are full of foreclosures and you dont want that.

You will have your (1) private Parking Space inside and there is free parking around the building for visitors, beside the visitor parking spaces that can be use by resident vehicles. I just change the floors, so it hardwood floors. I also remodeled the bedroom and built a Walk-in Closet last November. The kitchen is brand new and with granite countertop. The building has a small Gym and a nice view to Brickell skyline. This apt is located in the 4th Floor. (4 floor building)

I am asking $950 a month (Internet, water and alarm included). Pets Ok and the building is right in front of a park.

The building only has 34 units and mainly owners so that keeps the place alive, clean and safe.

Let me know if you want to see pictures. Is a 5 minute drive to campus I used to commute everyday and is the best area of MIAMI.

echavarria.andrea@gmail.com

Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
There's ALWAYS available rentals in Miami

Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
As far as I am aware, there isn't a rental season here in Miami, like there is in college towns. Usually a month or two before a lease is up, don't owners/companies start to ask their tenants if they are renewing or moving out? So for August, the owners may know in June/July.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 PM

35 posts, read 98,196 times
Rental season is basically between May and July, right before the new school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: