Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 06:44 AM

12 posts, read 36,528 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to Miami to start grad school in the near future (either june-ish or august: if you are a grad student at Miami can you please PM me!).

I don't have a car so I want to be near the metro rail so that I can commute to UMiami's medical center and also be close enough to go to a grocery store. I am looking to spend $800 a month not including utilities. Hopefully i am able to find a roommate.

Any advice as to where I should be looking? Ohh yeah, i am a 24 yo female who would prefer to live in a really safe neighborhood with as little bugs as possible. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM

140 posts, read 508,194 times
If you don't have a car, you do want to be near Metrorail. It's tough to take the bus in Miami -- they are often late and many bus stops are uncovered. At least Metrorail has security...

I used to work adjacent to the "Civic Center" stop (the metrorail stop nearest Jackson Memorial Hospital / UM) and took the metrorail to work. I know a lot of med students and people who work at the hospital live in the apartments nearby, but the Civic Center area always has a run down feel to it and personally i wouldn't live there. Too many homeless people and I hated the Metro Justice building right there (where they hold trials for major state crimes). It's probably quite safe coz there are tons of corrections officers and police at all times around, but I just didn't feel safe.

I live in the Brickell area, near downtown (but without the same homeless problem as the other side of the Miami River), 2 blocks from a grocery store & walgreens, 1 block from metrorail and loads of restaurants. It's about a 10 minute metro ride to Civic Center.

You can easily get a 2br 2ba, new construction, somewhat luxurious condo in the Brickell area for $1,600/mo to share with a roommate. Make sure you get one north of 15th road in order to have easy access to Metrorail. Check craigslist or any online MLS rental search.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
I'm going to second Brickell here. I live in Brickell also and love it!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. Wish me luck. I am really looking forward to living in Miami and getting away from 20" of snow days.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm from Michigan, you won't miss it for a second.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Unless your driving privileges have been revoked, I do not recommend living in Miami without a car.

Believe me, you will be miserable. If you don't know how to drive, you can take driving courses. That is how I learned. But don't live hear without a car. Everybody drives a car down here, even an old one is better than none. Everything is spread out down here, Even UM is huge (I graduated from UM) and when it rains or in July, you don't want to be out there waiting for a bus.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 04-25-2009 at 12:04 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,492 times
Without a car in Miami? DEFINITELY look into Brickell or maybe even Downtown (for cheaper rent), I fourth that. Brickell is a great option, and you don't even need to touch a car, so you can get to UM, and the Civic Center via the Metro. Plus you can walk or take the Metromover to supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants, parks, etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM

thanks for all the advice. I really don't want to get a car--i would prefer to limit my carbon footprint as much as possible plus I enjoy living close to places and walking.

However, does Miami have a car share program for those days when I just absolutely need a car?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorph View Post
thanks for all the advice. I really don't want to get a car--i would prefer to limit my carbon footprint as much as possible plus I enjoy living close to places and walking.

However, does Miami have a car share program for those days when I just absolutely need a car?
The University actually does offer this, I believe it is a reasonable price too.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times
I highly recommend making use of UM's off-campus housing site to find a roommate and/or apartment. Off-Campus Housing | University of Miami (http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,42701-1;59678-3,00.html - broken link)

Also, I believe UM has Zipcar available if you need a car every now and then. Zipcar : Organizations : University of Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: