Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
America's-Most-Dangerous-Cities: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (short article)
America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com(full article)

I have been saying this the last two years crime was up. This just reiterates what I have been saying about the crime in Miami-Dade County.

This is a very bizarre 'I told you so' post. Has there EVER been any debate whatsoever that Miami has crime?

Did you really need validation from an article to confirm something so obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
Tiger

In Miami there's much less crime than in any European city.
99 per cent of crime is committed by crackheads of Afro persuasion living in confined zones known by locals, but not by tourists.
People here are not complaining against crime, they are complaining against a different language, different habits, everything that you find in any big city.
I guess that many Americans are looking for a "bucolical and Arcadian setting" or they come from parochial populations, or are more individualistic, or are used to higher standards and more living space.
In Europe, at least in Western Europe, we are all cramped and we must put up with a lot of sh... so in comparison Miami is a peaceful place, a paradise, somewhat boring.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-25-2009 at 03:52 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM

549 posts, read 1,664,894 times
People, I was trying to be positive....

I know this city has a terrible quality of life.... I agree... the fattest people, the least affordable, the worst traffic (because its impossible for us to construct a subway system), one of the highest crime rates, the city with the highest incident of HIV+ in the USA, etc etc etc, and the most terrible of all...which is... the GDP per capita of a third world country, which is 15,000$ a year. The GDP of Chile is $14,800 and the cost of living in Miami is twice higher or over compared to Chile. This is a third world country city located inside a first world country. This is a bizarre city...

I know why you hate Miami, in fact, I am not happy here.... I feel bored many times because this city wasn`t built in a way where people can have social contact with other people such as NYC, San Francisco...etc. (In NYC people walk on the avenues, streets, parks, etc etc). That`s one of the reason why the people is so fat! Nobody walks in this city, everybody commutes by car to and from work.
People here are always inside a vehicle....because the distances are soo big and noone would be crazy to walk on the sidewalks like in European cities or other American cities. (That`s why some people get bored and feel lonely). And that`s why there are so many singles looking for a significant other...and for many its impossible because if you go to the malls or to SoBe you`ll see mostly tourists...all the local people usually have 2 or 3 jobs trying to survive in this expensive city where salaries are the lowest in the nation.

I agree with many of you...there is no quality of life in Miami.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Miami sucks to the people that don`t have a bachelors degree and speak only English. For the bilingual and highly skilled people Miami is a great city because there are tons of jobs available.

Miami is exciting...the rest of Florida is boring...

I have never been robbed in Florida. I`ve heard about isolated cases when drunk women are raped at South beach during late hours in Nikki Beach (nightclubs) etc etc...and that`s because it is impossible to receive millions of tourists in this city and have a crime rate simmilar to other cosmopolitan areas of USA who are probably not a tropical destination. (There is alcohol, young adults looking for sex Women and Men, clubs, the beach, etc etc etc)...

Don`t blame just the locals in Miami for the high crime rate... many of these crimes are commited by tourists who come here to party, and that includes Americans from other cities and foreigners from overseas.
errrr what? I have three degrees, highly skilled, have worked in my field for over a decade. I have been looking for I.T. jobs in Miami for the past year and a half and I have not had any luck. Miami has never been known for having a highly skilled work force and it has never been known to have a high availability of highly skilled jobs. There was a summit last year between businesses leaders and academia in Miami to discuss the lack of a highly educated and highly skilled work force in Miami and what they could do to change it. I should mention during this summit Fort Lauderdale was discussed as well, they are even worse off than Miami.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is a very bizarre 'I told you so' post. Has there EVER been any debate whatsoever that Miami has crime?

Did you really need validation from an article to confirm something so obvious?
Yes, because some people on here, say crime is blown out of proportion by the negative posters, which it is not. And this just validated what I have said the last 2 years.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Tiger

In Miami there's much less crime than in any European city.
99 per cent of crime is committed by crackheads of Afro persuasion living in confined zones known by locals, but not by tourists.
People here are not complaining against crime, they are complaining against a different language, different habits, everything that you find in any big city.
I guess that many Americans are looking for a "bucolical and Arcadian setting" or they come from parochial populations, or are more individualistic, or are used to higher standards and more living space.
In Europe, at least in Western Europe, we are all cramped and we must put up with a lot of sh... so in comparison Miami is a peaceful place, a paradise, somewhat boring.
I'd like to know what type of crack you're smoking?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
People, I was trying to be positive....

I know this city has a terrible quality of life.... I agree... the fattest people, the least affordable, the worst traffic (because its impossible for us to construct a subway system), one of the highest crime rates, the city with the highest incident of HIV+ in the USA, etc etc etc, and the most terrible of all...which is... the GDP per capita of a third world country, which is 15,000$ a year. The GDP of Chile is $14,800 and the cost of living in Miami is twice higher or over compared to Chile. This is a third world country city located inside a first world country. This is a bizarre city...

I know why you hate Miami, in fact, I am not happy here.... I feel bored many times because this city wasn`t built in a way where people can have social contact with other people such as NYC, San Francisco...etc. (In NYC people walk on the avenues, streets, parks, etc etc). That`s one of the reason why the people is so fat! Nobody walks in this city, everybody commutes by car to and from work.
People here are always inside a vehicle....because the distances are soo big and noone would be crazy to walk on the sidewalks like in European cities or other American cities. (That`s why some people get bored and feel lonely). And that`s why there are so many singles looking for a significant other...and for many its impossible because if you go to the malls or to SoBe you`ll see mostly tourists...all the local people usually have 2 or 3 jobs trying to survive in this expensive city where salaries are the lowest in the nation.

I agree with many of you...there is no quality of life in Miami.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there buddy.

I agree - it is very hard to make friends, unless you're part of the "clique" and have connections with all those pretentious people. I have lived here for over 5 years and have not even made an acquaintance. Of course, this isn't all Miami's fault -- I've just come to the conclusion that I don't have anything in common with anyone here, so it's time to move on. Besides, I notice that people have a tendency to take advantage here and I'd rather have no friends at all than be friends with a bunch of leeches.

To put this another way -- all the complaints about "negative posters" in here are mostly unwarranted. I could understand the complaints if there were a bunch of mindless "Miami sucks!" posts, but most of the negative (and positive) posts I've read in here are very articulate.

Miami is ill though. I think that the sooner people who wear rose tinted spectacles 24/7 learn to accept that Miami-Dade has more than its fair share of problems that badly need addressing, there's a better chance that change will happen (someday).

People in other cities that find themselves constantly mentioned in these "top 5 worst" lists don't have the arrogance and aren't blind to the problems like many Miamians are. Take Detroit, for example...another US city with big problems. Ask most people from Detroit about their city and they'll tell you the (blunt) truth. After all, you can still care about a place, but not be afraid to criticize it.

Think of a bad city as a friend of yours who has a serious drinking problem. You can either pretend the problem doesn't exist, while that friend descends further and further into an abyss of alcoholism, or you can tell them the truth and try to help them become sober. In terms of cities, the people of Detroit know their city is ill, while Miamians are still in denial, for the most part. Detroit may well improve some day, but until Miami accepts reality, Miami will only worsen, especially if the current trend continues (good people moving out, bad people moving in, lack of sustainable commerce, poor education, etc).

Ah...sorry for the rather long, rambling post. I just want Miami to wake up from its drunken haze of being the "party city", because that doesn't offer any kind of a sustainable future, especially as even tourism is starting to go elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Ah...sorry for the rather long, rambling post. I just want Miami to wake up from its drunken haze of being the "party city", because that doesn't offer any kind of a sustainable future, especially as even tourism is starting to go elsewhere.
The sad thing is, that Miami is a great place for many of the people that live in Miami. Because many of the people that live in Miami come from the Caribbean, Central/South America and compared to those places Miami is 100 times better than were they come from. Sadly they bring some of their old habits from the mother country with them when they come here and hence some (not all) of why Miami's has been in deterioration. Its those that come from better places than Miami that can see what Miami truely is (once the honeymoon faze is gone).

Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The sad thing is, that Miami is a great place for many of the people that live in Miami. Because many of the people that live in Miami come from the Caribbean, Central/South America and compared to those places Miami is 100 times better than were they come from. Sadly they bring some of their old habits from the mother country with them when they come here and hence some (not all) of why Miami's has been in deterioration. Its those that come from better places than Miami that can see what Miami truely is (once the honeymoon faze is gone).
What I don't understand is that those people came here for a new life (seemingly), yet it seems like they've turned much of Miami into the places they chose to leave in the first place.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,168 times
If it weren't for those people, Miami would be an enormous "hood".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami