U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM

478 posts, read 898,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
What I don't understand is that those people came here for a new life (seemingly), yet it seems like they've turned much of Miami into the places they chose to leave in the first place.
Are you talking about Miami or pretty much all of FL now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 02:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 720,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe_ToBe? View Post
I was initially inclined to say: "Please refer to my earlier post." and leave it at that because, for an intelligent person, the previous post is sufficient to answer your question. But your reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking so let me try to spell it out for you.

You raised these issues when you implied that people in Miami are fat BECAUSE there are lots of fast food joints and relatively few parks. Do you honestly believe that? Don't you think it makes more sense to say that the fast food places exist to satisfy a demand? In America, people are free to make their own choices about what to eat and how much to exercise. If you honestly believe that if the city of Miami built more public parks that people in the city would become more active and eat less junk food, then you are a fool.
You're attempting to turn this thread into a discussion about obesity, fast food and personal responsibility, because I wrote this?

"Not surprising, being as there are fast food joints on every corner and few parks or recreational areas for people to exercise in (gyms are not everyone's cup of tea)."

I am not complaining about Miami's lack of parks because I believe Miami is at fault for making people fat. I am complaining about the lack of parks because parks have a tendency to make cities and towns look more attractive and yes, they allow people to engage in recreational activities, such as kicking the ball around with their kids, or cycling.

Miami's devoid-ness of parks makes Miami and urban, concrete wasteland. The millions of palm trees really don't make any difference, IMO.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. You're clearly not interested in adding anything worthwhile to this discussion and you're only using it to push your own agenda and political beliefs (none of which I'm even remotely interested in, sorry). If I wanted a discussion on government/personal responsibility, I'd head over to the P&OC subforum.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM

6,483 posts, read 13,164,972 times
I wish Miami had more parks that were like other parts of this country or Europe. If there were more parks like Kennedy Park in Coconut Grove or Matheson Hammock more people would get outside and exercise, Miami's parks are pretty much a small open space, with a kids area and a picnic pavilion on about an acre or land. And if our climate was conducive to exercising outside (which it isn't most of the year) more people would go to their local parks.

If the county actually invested money in Public transit (connect the Metrofail to things that people go to like the airport, south beach, etc.), instead of building a stadium that people will not go to or that stupid tunnel to the port they want to build. Then people would be more apt to walk in this city and not use the car.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:27 PM

549 posts, read 1,132,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
errrr what? I have three degrees, highly skilled, have worked in my field for over a decade. I have been looking for I.T. jobs in Miami for the past year and a half and I have not had any luck. Miami has never been known for having a highly skilled work force and it has never been known to have a high availability of highly skilled jobs. There was a summit last year between businesses leaders and academia in Miami to discuss the lack of a highly educated and highly skilled work force in Miami and what they could do to change it. I should mention during this summit Fort Lauderdale was discussed as well, they are even worse off than Miami.
"Miami has never been known for having a highly skilled work force and it has never been known to have a high availability of highly skilled jobs."

My friend, I agree, there is a lack of highly educated people in Miami, and that`s why I said that if you are bilingual and have a bachelor`s degree (that makes you desirable in a city where many people is not highly educated) you`ll be able to find a job easily.

You "must" first have an interview with a good headhunting human resources company because most of the multinational companies use this method to find their potential candidates.

For example, Robert Half Technology - Information Technology Consultants - IT Staffing Services, (this is not advertising by the way)

Look, when I graduated from FIU in Management Information Systems, the first thing I did was to submit my resume to this people. They later scheduled an interview with me and received my resume. The day after the interview, they offered me jobs with the BURGER KING Headquarters and ALIENWARE (designers, ASP.net, data base administrator, etc).

The Roberth Half tech HR analyst told me that the top employers in Miami usually hire their I.T. professionals through human resorces companies.

If you have been looking for an IT position in Miami, just submit your resume online and schedule an interview with an HR company.

Don`t just apply through "Monster"...

That`s in my case, I have an IT degree...

Now, if you have a degree in god knows what...let`s say "Business Administration".... then you will probably end up working in a store in Dolphin Mall. There is people who get a degree in an area that is not very technical. People you must get degrees in Accounting, IT, healthcare, engineering, etc. "Degrees that are technical, important, and desirable in the most of the cities".

Before I graduated my major was Business Administration...geez.... half of the population in Miami is majoring in "Business Administration"...they will be mostly unemployed...

YOU NEED TO STUDY THE DEMAND OF JOBS IN MIAMI, what degrees are most desirable in the city...etc.
Miami is all about healthcare, accounting, and IT jobs. Accounting is the lowest paying job of them but you`ll always be employed.

I hope this helps.

Rememeber that Miami is a tropical destination and tourism is the key of the economy in this city and most of the jobs (who are low paid) are related to tourism. I know that sucks...but it`s the reality.

Now, if you are highly skilled in IT, healthcare, and accounting... this is the right city for you...you`ll find a job easily.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:27 PM

5,809 posts, read 5,876,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Your opinion is worthless.
One man, one vote.
Your Jingoism belongs to other century and nobody cares about your identity or your immigrant ancestors.
When you came from Philly, Miami was exactly like now.
You knew what you were going to find, you knew about traffic, about Spanish...
But then, you come and start crying and crying...
Are you a masochist?
You want to force immigrants to be cowboys?
That's what they did to your illiterate ancestors from Catania?
Go back to Philly, and before fleeing again from that dump, read well and inform yourself about the place you're planning to go.
But of course, you won't learn...
You will scape to Alaska and in a few weeks, when your B.S piles up agains, you will start bashing Aleutians, you'll complain about prices and about cold weather...
Ad nauseam.
I assume you're talking to me?

My family moved to Ft Lauderdale in 1962 so I'm quite familiar with So Fl. I chose to move to Vero Beach last year from Philly but have spent half my life in So Fl for the past 45 years. In fact, before that my uncle moved to Cocoa Beach in the 1920's and my entire family used to spend summers there. So I guess I "might" know a thing or two about Florida. I've lived in Broward, Palm Beach, Martin and now Indian River counties. No interest at all in Miami, although my father worked as a musician at the Fountainbleau as a pianist for people like Frank Sinatra. So I guess I can tell you that MIAMI as YOU know it has NOT always been as YOU see it. :0

I moved here with my nice fat pension after working all my life so there's no crying for me.

Thanks for making my point. There are alot of immigrants here who don't care about the history or people of the USA (immigrants included) but think it's perfectly ok to force their ways on us here, once the get here.

I quote a poster here: I dont care if the immigration laws are unfair to other groups, Cubans are my blood. (and I have nothing against Cubans, my ex landlord is a fantastic first Generation Cuban guy and can't wait to move further up).

It's irrelevant to me, too. A short stint in Miami has no impact on my life one way or another.

And all the sociological comments don't mitigate the fact that it's one butt ugly place out there by the airport. Which was my entire point.

Enjoy it, if that's what you like. I won't need to be there at all, and if I want I can get a place anywhere from So Beach to the airport I was just trying to cut down on commuting time.

See, that's what working people do, plan their lives around WORK.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-25-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe_ToBe? View Post
I really don't think this is happening at every building.

And are you actually implying that the owners in these building are robbing each other?
LOL I was wondering too. I didn't get it. I'm not implying anything it's just what I was told at three properties around the mall there. There might be crackheads there I don't know. The rent's weren't what I'd consider cheap. They start at 1200.00 for 600 sq ft sorta studio/ mini one bedroom right at the mall and the others start at about 1000.00.

I was assuming it was lax security at the gate. But my point was you can't blame all crime on African Americans and crackheads as the previous poster said. There's crime everywhere even by Caucasians I think we all know. And I'm guessing that you might have some Hispanic criminals that aren't crackheads even...even though the poster just targeted AA and drugs....just guessin'.

How bout the Craigslist white guy med student guy killing hookers for MONEY for his gambling habit not even sex, the idiot.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 PM

34 posts, read 56,117 times
Quote:
You're attempting to turn this thread into a discussion about obesity, fast food and personal responsibility, because I wrote this?

"Not surprising, being as there are fast food joints on every corner and few parks or recreational areas for people to exercise in (gyms are not everyone's cup of tea)."
I'm not attempting to turn this thread into anything. I was simply expressing my disagreement with your statement above.

Quote:
I am not complaining about Miami's lack of parks because I believe Miami is at fault for making people fat. I am complaining about the lack of parks because parks have a tendency to make cities and towns look more attractive and yes, they allow people to engage in recreational activities, such as kicking the ball around with their kids, or cycling.
Then why didn't you say that in the first place instead of implying that it was responsible for landing Miami on the fattest city list?

Quote:
Miami's devoid-ness of parks makes Miami and urban, concrete wasteland. The millions of palm trees really don't make any difference, IMO.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the issue you raised.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm done arguing with you. You're clearly not interested in adding anything worthwhile to this discussion and you're only using it to push your own agenda and political beliefs (none of which I'm even remotely interested in, sorry). If I wanted a discussion on government/personal responsibility, I'd head over to the P&OC subforum.
Why is this always the mantra of the guy who stuck his foot in his mouth? You should either just admit you were wrong or present evidence that supports your assertion, regardless of what forum you posted it in.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Ah..
Leovigildo, .I forgive you for your personal attack.

I read that you live in Barcelona and only lived here once in the 1970's as a kid going to community college in Miami when your dad worked at a bank. In your most recent visits, if any,
have you been to the Mall of the America's neighborhood lately that I was talking about? I think that mall's over thirty years old and shows it age, btw...so perhaps it wasn't even built when you lived here?

Let me know what it is you like about the area, maybe I should be more "flexible".

Old 04-25-2009, 04:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,117,434 times
Runwithscissors

I was not referring to you.

I was referring to the other person from the East Coast, from Philly he said.

I just can't understand why a person that hates Spanish, diversity, cramped neighbourhoods, awful driving, stupid panchitos, etc, etc, comes to this specific city.

When he came here, Miami was just like now.

I mean, you have to be masochistic to live in a place that you hate.

But they keep insisting in changing a place and their inhabitants.

For my part, I hate NY and Phylli, I've been there, and I would never go there to bash their specific national communities.

My parents used to go to Miami during the 40's and 50's, my father studied at St Leo College, Tampa in 1945.

They stayed at the Fointanebleu, where your father worked, and the Lido.

They were in Cuba and they returned to Spain in 1957, before Castro, they were lucky at that.

My father returned to Miami in 1977 to work in a Cuban-Spanish bank in Brickell.

Yes, I know about Miami before, and I wish that Americans would have remained there.

Well, Cubans, and Spanish (30 per cent of people arriving from Cuba in the 60's were from Spain) are a pain, and later came the people that the others were fleeing from...

Regards.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-25-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 04:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,117,434 times
The area, we lived in a townhouse in 122 ct. Coral Way. A new development.
Before, in Kendall, by then it was "out there in the boondocks".
Later in South Beach, nothing to do with modern day South Beach.
They place was exclusively for senior, very senior Jews, but the beach and the pier were fun.
We used to smoke reefers and fish sharks during the wee hours of the night.
No, I don't know that specific Mall.
I used to go a lot to OMNI.
I left the city in 1980, really, the riot, I was a witness of the whole thing, and then Mariel, no more.
I moved to Boca, and then returned to Barcelona in 1983.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-25-2009 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami