Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM

34 posts, read 85,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
BTW, I saw a minority of African Americans (which I though was wierd) and no crack heads. But each condo advertised as "luxury" had people complaining about car thefts, car break-ins etc. and they were GATED.

I guess those crackheads doing all the crime are very clever at BLENDING IN, huh?
I really don't think this is happening at every building.

And are you actually implying that the owners in these building are robbing each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe_ToBe? View Post
I have to disagree with you here. It seems that you want to place the responsibility for people being fat on the government, rather than on the people themselves. What about personal responsibility?
How is this nonsense even remotely applicable to this thread?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well, yeah. Having lived in Europe I can tell you we ARE looking to retain our "personal space". Such as not having people leaning on you on the bus and not having someone take the empty seat next to you on the plane to sleep in when they see you have a BABY and the baby could use the seat. (NYC to Greece).

This is NOT what you find in "any big city" in America. This is America and we're not interested in "changing it" to be any version of Europe, South America or otherwise.

REgarding language for the millionth time, speak whatever you want in public (even though my immigrant husband NEVER EVER spoke his language outside of the house, he wanted to assimilate)....just stop INSISTING Americans NEED TO learn Spanish, or play Spanish movies at the Dr. office or have bilingual everything.

You can't have it "both ways" IMO. If you want to be AMERICAN, do so. Don't just come here to skim off the economic benefits and live in your own world and ESPECIALLY don't force your (not you specifically, I mean the collective "you").....reverse xenophobia on us when we are living here minding our own business providing UNLIMITED freaking immigration to "specific" groups.

Maybe we need to force immigrants to learn how to be cowboys and rope cattle, pick cotton, live off the land out in Kansas and all the other ways OUR ancestors lived instead of them telling us how to live like them. Would that be ok? It's equally ridiculous.

Let me add that I was in Miami for a job interview yesterday out by the airport.

What a total mess. NOTHING BUT [mostly old beat up] condos for miles jammed together. NOTHING but a mall and some stores and condos not a single green space or even a duplex....condos condos condos. Traffic? LOL uh...YEAH. At 2 pm you're taking 20 minutes to go around a block.

It appears there was not a speck of city planning. curved streets loaded with condos and apartments for NO APPARENT REASON. I kept asking what's up with all these buildings why are they here what's the "draw" it can't be just the stupid Mall attracting it.....NOPE, not that it's a corporate center of any type or anything....just NO PLANNING WHATSOEVER.

I lived on the Lower East Side NYC and my entire life in Philly so I have some experience with a city versus a suburban "disaster".

Trying to visualize myself living there was a joke. Would I do it for the money? Probably. That doesn't mean it wasn't a joke. One segment of society's "paradise" is hell for plenty of other people.

BTW, I saw a minority of African Americans (which I though was wierd) and no crack heads. But each condo advertised as "luxury" had people complaining about car thefts, car break-ins etc. and they were GATED.

I guess those crackheads doing all the crime are very clever at BLENDING IN, huh?
I work around that area and trust me, parts of it are disgusting and much of is looks far more like Latin America than anywhere in the United States. The condos are ugly, traffic is awful and many people around there don't speak a lick of English (or choose not to).

Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,348 times
Your opinion is worthless.
One man, one vote.
Your Jingoism belongs to other century and nobody cares about your identity or your immigrant ancestors.
When you came from Philly, Miami was exactly like now.
You knew what you were going to find, you knew about traffic, about Spanish...
But then, you come and start crying and crying...
Are you a masochist?
You want to force immigrants to be cowboys?
That's what they did to your illiterate ancestors from Catania?
Go back to Philly, and before fleeing again from that dump, read well and inform yourself about the place you're planning to go.
But of course, you won't learn...
You will scape to Alaska and in a few weeks, when your B.S piles up agains, you will start bashing Aleutians, you'll complain about prices and about cold weather...
Ad nauseam.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
How is this nonsense even remotely applicable to this thread?
It was your post I was responding to. If you didn't want to discuss it, then perhaps you shouldn't have? Kind of seems like now you don't even want to take responsibility for your own post. I'm sensing a trend.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Your opinion is worthless.
One man, one vote.
Your Jingoism belongs to other century and nobody cares about your identity or your immigrant ancestors.
When you came from Philly, Miami was exactly like now.
You knew what you were going to find, you knew about traffic, about Spanish...
But then, you come and start crying and crying...
Are you a masochist?
You want to force immigrants to be cowboys?
That's what they did to your illiterate ancestors from Catania?
Go back to Philly, and before fleeing again from that dump, read well and inform yourself about the place you're planning to go.
But of course, you won't learn...
You will scape to Alaska and in a few weeks, when your B.S piles up agains, you will start bashing Aleutians, you'll complain about prices and about cold weather...
Ad nauseam.
I've been to Philly once -- for all its problems, Miami isn't even 10% of the city that Philadelphia is. See, Philadelphia is properly diverse, i.e. it has a whole myriad of different cultures living there, unlike Miami proper.

I think you're an idiot for insulting that poster. I read his post and he isn't the one with the problem, it's you. You obviously either take things far too literally (to the extreme), or your reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe_ToBe? View Post
It was your post I was responding to. If you didn't want to discuss it, then perhaps you shouldn't have? Kind of seems like now you don't even want to take responsibility for your own post. I'm sensing a trend.
Since when did this turn into a discussion about obesity and personal responsibility?

Just asking, jackass.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,251 times
Quote:
...because this place is a piece of s**t, to put it bluntly.

Lately, Miami seems to have made pretty much all of the top 5/10 "worst" lists conducted in the United States (worst drivers, highest rate of foreclosures, worst crime, least charitable, most miserable, etc, etc). You can wear your rose tinted spectacles and deny the problems here exist all you like, but there's a whole ton of evidence out there to suggest that Miami SUCKS, period.

The problem boils down to the culture here...or lack thereof. Miami has a larger than average population of self-centered, narcissistic, combustible idiots who are more prone than most to doing something completely stupid and reckless.

Luckily, my wife have been saving and saving and we should be able to move by this time next year. When I leave, I swear, I will never return to Miami.
Got that right.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,251 times
Quote:
I didn't know that Miami had made that list too...

Not surprising, being as there are fast food joints on every corner and few parks or recreational areas for people to exercise in (gyms are not everyone's cup of tea).

What top 5 list is Miami to make next? I have a few suggestions:

- Top 5 cities with the most obnoxious people
- Top 5 narcissistic cities
- Top 5 cities with the highest rate of murder-suicides
- Top 5 cities where you don't even have to know English to get by
- Top 5 "ugly" cities
- Top 5 "dumbest" cities in the US
- Top 5 overdeveloped US cities
- Top 5 most vain/superficial cities in the US

To hell with this place
I think they already got that distinction, but I cant remember where I heard it... seriously...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Since when did this turn into a discussion about obesity and personal responsibility?

Just asking, jackass.
I was initially inclined to say: "Please refer to my earlier post." and leave it at that because, for an intelligent person, the previous post is sufficient to answer your question. But your reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking so let me try to spell it out for you.

You raised these issues when you implied that people in Miami are fat BECAUSE there are lots of fast food joints and relatively few parks. Do you honestly believe that? Don't you think it makes more sense to say that the fast food places exist to satisfy a demand? In America, people are free to make their own choices about what to eat and how much to exercise. If you honestly believe that if the city of Miami built more public parks that people in the city would become more active and eat less junk food, then you are a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami