Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 AM

20 posts, read 76,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I can't say anything about Calcutta (albeit, its reputation is not the best one out there) or Bangkok, but Rio is perhaps the most incredible tropical city in the world. The only thing that puts a damp on things is the crime. San Juan in PR is also great, particularly the northern part of the city along the shore. It has some similarities with Miami, except that not too far away there are some nice mountains. As for Panama City in Panama, the best kept secret south of the border. Quite a lot of Americans have been moving down there and why not, its very beautiful, offers First World ambiance and standards on many things for a fraction of the costs. The biggest drawback to Panama City is that during the rainy season it can rain for days and its always hot, think 90s year round. No cool winter mornings (or down right chilly) as some times occurs in Miami. Also, if you think the sun is intense in Miami, in Panama it feels like you're on the surface of the sun.

Another city to consider is Singapore. I've never been there, but I know several people that have visited and based on their descriptions, the place is perfect. Perhaps a little too perfect, but perfect none-the-less.
very good info about everything, Singapore is only 85 miles north of the equator!!! they do have a tropical rainforest climate (miami has tropical monsoon wet summers and dry winters) i also agree that miami can experience cold fronts in winter making for cool or rarely cold morning but I take that as a big plus for miami's climate (my opinion) but the thing is if miami has a low of say 35 that same cold front brings brutal 0's or even negatives to north east cities. I don't even want to think about wind chill factor- singapore does look good in pictures but i would have to read up more about it... anyone live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
This weather might beat the North East but in my opinion it's not the best. I thinK San Diego and other cities in Cali are way better. Miami weather is unbereable like for about 48 weeks of the year. I know nice weathers where you can go outside all year long, and this is NOT one of them.
thats your opinion ok i can respect that

but here is why in my opinion San diego's climate is so overated

Average Weather for San Diego, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Climatology Comparison for San Diego, CA - weather.com

take a look at the averages... this weather is great for walking, jogging, biking but too cold even in the summer months(especially the ocean temps) for swimming, jetskiing, and boating. I like hot weather 85-100 for such activites. I went to san diego once. (march). awesome place but it was far too cold for my tastes... plus i saw no swimming signs on certain beaches because of raw sewage from mexico being dumped into the pacific. most people disagree with me but I don't think san diego has the best. everyone is different some people like alaskan weather

- 100 years ago before A/C was invented i would pic san diego but with A/C invented i would now prefer a year round tropical climate. People have been moving to places like the deep south for many years because of A/C

Last edited by Fairlyz33; 05-04-2009 at 03:06 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlyz33 View Post
plus i saw no swimming signs on certain beaches because of raw sewage from mexico being dumped into the pacific.
Where do you think we dump our stuff? 2 Miles off Miami Beach is where, and you know that some of that gets pushed back in towards the beach. You know how they test the waters at our beaches. I bet in 30 years, the standards will be higher than todays standards. And what people are swimming in now at our beaches will be considered off the charts for high levels of bad stuff on our good days.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Where do you think we dump our stuff? 2 Miles off Miami Beach is where, and you know that some of that gets pushed back in towards the beach. You know how they test the waters at our beaches. I bet in 30 years, the standards will be higher than todays standards. And what people are swimming in now at our beaches will be considered off the charts for high levels of bad stuff on our good days.
It really is disturbing to go boating out there and smell sewage far away from land. Who knows if there are turds coming out of that overflow or what that stuff is.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

268 posts, read 900,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
Dude, do you ever see good in anything?

South Florida is far and away the best place to live on the whole planet. my home is the very best place to enjoy all that is South Florida. I never even take vacations anymore. nothing compares to my home for comfort, view, panache or excitement. I love being me!

Dadeguy , Where u live bro?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Sun, sea and sewage in the playground of the rich in Dubai -Times Online- about bad sewage problems everyone talks how great Dubai is well looks like they have severe raw sewage proplems

and back on topic San diego has far worse water conditions than Miami-Miami treats the water (like every U.S. city) and makes the water safe before they release it into the ocean

Some of the city's(san diego) beach water contamination comes from south of the border. With an average altitude 300 feet higher than that of San Diego, wastewater and sewage from Tijuana, Mexico poses a problem for San Diego.
Due to the difference in altitude, much of Tijuana's raw sewage flows down through gullies and ravines such as Matadera and Goat Canyon and ultimately finds its way into the Pacific Ocean. This contamination often flows north with ocean currents and threatens water quality along the coastline of San Diego resulting in regular beach closures at Imperial Beach and Coronado.
San Diego Mayor Gets C+ on Water Quality Report Card

this problem will only get worse for San diego, La probably has better water quality but it does have a far greater population than san diego so i'm sure it can get bad in LA too although the mexican influence is greatly lessened

thats discusting they have RAW UNTREATED SEWAGE FROM MEXICO PROBLEMS. thats alot different than treated sewage

Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Dadeguy , Where u live bro?
in lovely, heavenly miami gardens.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I like Miami just fine but NO QUESTION that HONOLULU blows MIAMI away. Sorry it's just the truth. Pretty sure a scientific survey would reveal most people would take Honolulu. And if it's in the tropics we'll say it qualifies. The fact that they get less rain than Miami only makes it superior.

I agree, being that I was stationed in Hawaii for 4 yrs. Hawaii is the only true tropical state in the US. Miami is semi-tropical not tropical. Although rare SF can experience freezing temps and thats not tropical. Also this thread has nothing to do with income, or being trapped on an Island its about climate.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
The OP asked where there is a better tropical major big city in the world. I would vote for Manila. Of course, my idea of paradise would not be a 'major big' city but a smaller one within an hour or two's drive to a major big city. Manila has a climate similar to Miami, the cost of living is much much lower and the women are prettier (IMHO) and thinner. I have yet to see a single overweight one there, despite their having discovered McDonalds decades ago.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM

348 posts, read 638,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The OP asked where there is a better tropical major big city in the world. I would vote for Manila. Of course, my idea of paradise would not be a 'major big' city but a smaller one within an hour or two's drive to a major big city. Manila has a climate similar to Miami, the cost of living is much much lower and the women are prettier (IMHO) and thinner. I have yet to see a single overweight one there, despite their having discovered McDonalds decades ago.
How tall are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami