Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times

Advertisements

For the record, I never meant to make it sound like I was bagging Miami. I think Miami is great. It just can't compare to Honolulu. Not many places can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 AM

29 posts, read 175,808 times
I've never been to Miami but I'm living in West Palm now, which is not too far away (67 miles) and because it's still South Florida it has about the same climate as Miami (semi tropical) and so far I like it, even though it's getting into the humid wet rainy season which everyone says is unbearable (well during June-September anyway)....

Last edited by SuburbanGuy; 05-15-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

29 posts, read 175,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Also, if you think the sun is intense in Miami, in Panama it feels like you're on the surface of the sun.

No wonder, Miami is at 25 degrees latitude, while Panama City is at 8 degrees latitude. That's a difference of 17 degrees, almost the exact same difference between Chicago and Miami!

Distance (
as the crow flies)
from Chicago to Miami: 1190 miles
from Miami to Panama City, Panama: 1162 miles

!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:45 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Havana is the best subtropical city in the world.
The tropic line passes right through the city.
Temperature is quite different from Miami, breezier, nicer.
Well, the skyline is somewhat broken, to say the least.
It's not the Third World, more like a city in the Fourth Dimension and totally anachronical.
You've got hills, mountains and terrific landscapes.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:49 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Sorry, but Hong Kong should really take this title, hands down.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 PM

145 posts, read 302,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The OP asked where there is a better tropical major big city in the world.
Singapore and Hong Kong, maybe. Taipei is sub-tropical, as is Shanghai. I'm very fond of SG and HK. It is very difficult to say which is 'better' or not.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM

20 posts, read 76,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Check my recent thread: "Honolulu vs Miami: Where Would You Rather Live?" in the City vs. City forum.

I posted this to refute your claims. Honolulu is WINNING in a LANDSLIDE (75% so far).

Granted, an internet poll is NOT scientific but I think it makes a pretty strong case. Don't get me wrong, I like Miami a lot but So. Fla is NO Hawaii!

And you really should NOT bother with the stereotypes (i.e., "potheads" in Hawaii b/c you can also say all the "cokeheads" are in Miami). LOL!

Just a few reasons Honolulu wins:

1. Climate is VASTLY superior to Miami (less rain, less humid, more temparate in winter, etc.).
2. Topography is VASTLY superior in Honolulu.
3. Best surfing in the world. Miami is a LAKE.
4. Honolulu is MORE diverse than MIAMI (15% "mixed" race vs. just 5% in Miami, as of the 2000 census). Sorry, most Hispanics in Miami are merely "exotic" white folks. No offense.

ok well I have read some great opinions here on this thread and this has answered my curiosity. For myself Personally I would never move outside the U.S. although I'm sure some of the cities you people mentioned are great for certain people

To me its really Miami vs. Hawaii and its obviously miami because I don't want to live in one of the most isolated places in the world. To get anywere outside of oahu(honolulu) you need a plane or boat ride. So if we include the Boat into the equation you can go to nearby bahamas from miami. The bahamas rock I had way more fun there than hawaii... Even better yet all the carribean islands are close too. My point is being stuck on an island sucks. Thats why most people I know left hawaii after a year. If you really are thinking of moving to Hawaii realize what you see is what you get... You cant jump in the car and drive some other place... But if you really want to be islolated away from the rest of the world go for it.... Just watch out for the locals they fight mainlanders, and save up on plane fares to visit family/Friends (I almost went to U of H but wasn't impressed btw)

Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 AM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlyz33 View Post
To me its really Miami vs. Hawaii and its obviously miami because I don't want to live in one of the most isolated places in the world. To get anywere outside of oahu(honolulu) you need a plane or boat ride. So if we include the Boat into the equation you can go to nearby bahamas from miami. The bahamas rock I had way more fun there than hawaii... Even better yet all the carribean islands are close too. My point is being stuck on an island sucks. Thats why most people I know left hawaii after a year. If you really are thinking of moving to Hawaii realize what you see is what you get... You cant jump in the car and drive some other place... But if you really want to be islolated away from the rest of the world go for it.... Just watch out for the locals they fight mainlanders, and save up on plane fares to visit family/Friends (I almost went to U of H but wasn't impressed btw)
Finally, a no nonsense comment. Bravo! Bravo!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Once again the thread is not about being isolated on a island or jumping in a car and driving to another city. Its about tropical climate which Miami has a semi tropical not tropical so its obvious that its Hawaii. The point being stuck on island has nothing to do with climate. Maybe you guys who want to argue this, should start that thread. Anyone moving to Hawaii I am sure they are well aware that its an island before they get there unless your Palin.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 41,865 times
For those people attempting to claim that Miami has only a semi-tropical climate based on dubious sources, how can you refute the fact the the Koppen climate classification system desognates Miami as a "true tropical climate (Am - tropical monsoon)". This is a highly respected classicifaction system, and in order to refute it I'd expect you to have sources that are as well renowned and respected. Please don't post inadaquate sources claiming Miami's climate is only semi-tropical due to its situation outisde the tropic zone when such a major source used in the climatological community plainly states that Miami is indeed a tropical city. I'll say again, the Koppen climate system is right, Miami is indeed a Am city (tropical moonsoon) and not a subtropical humid climate that occurs further north in florida and in places like Hong Kong. Check out maps of cliamte zones to see for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami