Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Eastern Europe did not even speak Russian while under Soviet influence for 50 years, so I do not understand where you got that Western Europe would have.

The Soviets, as screwed up of a plan it was, did go through great lengths in language preservation throughout the republics, though Russian was the dominate and expected language, just about everything was printed in Russian and what ever languages the people of the republics used.
That's a fair point. I believe, if the US didn't enter WWII, Germany would have lasted in Russia longer but eventually the Russians would have pushed them back all the way to Spain.

So, what I was trying to say was Russia would have beaten the Germans instead.

Just my 2c of course.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM

157 posts, read 332,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

The language of business is MONEY. If the carrier of money speaks SPANISH, the language of business is SPANISH. In Miami, the language of Business is SPANISH, not in Paskogee, not in Ashenburry, but in Miami.

Why? Geography!!!!

Will Spanish/Portuguese be more important in the future, YES. Why? Emerging economies, raw materials and dwindling American influence everywhere.

The English Empire is also dead and cold, nothing remains even considering that it was more much modern than the Spanish empire.

English is important in business because AMERICANS won the war, created the EEC and modern Europe and the FREE WORLD, not because of the "English empire". Even French was more important than English a few generations ago.

I was in Vietnam one month ago, plenty of Spanish speakers. I've seen many Filipino that speak Spanish, Taiwanese (former Spanish colony) and Chinese.
Taiwan was never colonized by the Spanish, [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Portuguese [/SIZE][/SIZE]were there, but got driven out by the Dutch before they were able to colonize the island

Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
-----

The Spanish left in the Americas a far more profound imprint than the English, and Spanish will prevail in the long run. No Latin American nation has colonized territory, and colonies do not work in the long run. The US has colonized land such as Florida, Louisiana, Nuevo Mexico, Arizona and California.

Colonization involves removing the original population and settling "colonials", just as the French did in Algeria or Germans in their African colonies....but it just happens than unless you eliminate COMPLETELY the original population (Romans in Dacia or Romania), the original population will always outbreed colonials.

Conquistadores were ruthless people that had the ways of that time, medieval more than renaissance. They were no worse and no better than the rest of Europeans that set foot in the Americas. Pilgrims, on the other hand, were recognized wackos, sanctimonious hypocrites expelled from Holland and England whose descendants perpetrated a systematic and planned genocide on the Indian population.
Latin American nations are the result of colonization, the same as the USA and Canada. Florida is no more or less a colonized territory than Brazil or Mexico is.

Colonies do work in the long run, the USA was a former British colony, I do not think the USA is doing too bad. Brazil is a former Portuguese colony, they are not doing to bad either.

The Americas are the result of European colonization, the pre European natives are statistically insignificant in numbers now days.

"descendants perpetrated a systematic and planned genocide on the Indian population"

I will wager that a large segment of the world's population has this sort of blood on its hands. It certainly was not unique to the first Europeans that arrived in the Americas.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
That's a fair point. I believe, if the US didn't enter WWII, Germany would have lasted in Russia longer but eventually the Russians would have pushed them back all the way to Spain.

So, what I was trying to say was Russia would have beaten the Germans instead.

Just my 2c of course.
No, not your "2c", this has been studied and almost accepted as fact. Declassified papers show very well the plans Stalin had even before Barbarossa, which Stalin knew was going to occur eventually. His plans were to occupy Europe and install Soviet friendly governments, which after numerous invasions through the centuries by European powers on Tsarist Russia, you could not blame him, the good Georgian he was.

Anyway, back on subject. No speakie English ghetto.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
-----
I was in Vietnam one month ago, plenty of Spanish speakers. I've seen many Filipino that speak Spanish, Taiwanese (former Spanish colony) and Chinese.

I was in Vietnam as well and about everyone knew some English, met my friend there who works teaching English.

Hundreds of millions of people speak Hindi, I speak Hindi, I have yet run into a non-Indian who speaks Hindi.

In my world travels, the most encountered 2nd language besides English I have ran into has been Russian.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
maybe your company but ours laughs at our profit margins. they know asia is where the money is at.
Yes my company and some of our largest competitors ... have you ever heard of Siemens , Bosch , Tyco , GE , ABB , Emerson .. all huge multinationals and all are making money in Latin America and yes China as well ... the economy in Brazil is on fire and many US and European companies are dying to get into that market ... do not know what your company does or manufactures .. but they obviously do not know how to business internationally very well .

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The primary language of majority of the USA is English, the primary language of Miami is Spanish. You should learn Spanish if you want to get a job here or be prepared to have a tough time getting a job. No one is required to learn any language, if all the people who want to speak a specific language conjugate in a specific area, then the people looking to work there better speak that language.

Why don't we start making a huge fuss about why no white people work at chinese restaurants?
But in chinese restaurants the employees can and do speak English.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But in chinese restaurants the employees can and do speak English.
ninja please, their english is no better than what you hear at sedanos, navarro or la Fritanga nicaraguense

Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Every freaking thread in this forum ends up being the same s#it... just with a different title.

We might as well have only one thread for the Miami forum.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Every freaking thread in this forum ends up being the same s#it... just with a different title.

We might as well have only one thread for the Miami forum.
And it may as well be this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami