Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM

47 posts, read 118,636 times

Advertisements

LOL! Right on! I like the house, but I am a man, not a princess. LOL.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Sprawl in the "New South" is absolutely dreadful, including that of "nice" areas like Cary and Alpharetta. Don't get me wrong, there's dreadful sprawl all over Florida as well, but South Florida has a much lower percentage of it than outside of Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh...

With that said, Asheville is pretty centralized and is mostly non-sprawl. There's a huge difference between downtown Asheville and the other areas I have mentioned.
The only reason why Miami has less sprawl than other Southern cities is because the Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean prevent developers from building more. But that's why there are no parks or trees in SoFl. Greedy developers and non-caring citizens that have no pride in their homes.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
The only reason why Miami has less sprawl than other Southern cities is because the Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean prevent developers from building more. But that's why there are no parks or trees in SoFl. Greedy developers and non-caring citizens that have no pride in their homes.
I call BS. Many areas of Miami-Dade don't have a lot of trees, but they sure as hell have more trees than many other areas of this country. Want to talk about areas with lots of trees? Ever been to Miami Lakes, Pinecrest, Country Club, Miami Beach, South Miami, Coral Gables, Miami Springs, Aventura, Redlands, most of Kendall, the Roads, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, Surfside, Bal Harbour, Miami Shores, Biscayne Park, Sunset, Glenvar Heights..... plenty of lush landscaping there. And "non-caring citizens"?!? Most people in middle-class neighborhoods and upper-class neighborhoods, and many people in working-class areas do care about their homes in South Florida. There are lazy, non-caring people everywhere and I disagree that there is that much of a greater proportion of them in South Florida.

Brand-new sprawl out by SW 167th Avenue or down in Homestead is built with very little vegetation (and it is planted eventually by homeowners and grows mature with time), but at least it is built DENSE. It is mind-boggling how much space is wasted in North Carolina and suburban Atlanta by all of the space there is between developments. If you're going to built sprawl, at least build it DENSE so that maybe, just MAYBE in the future it will be easier to incorporate mixed-use and public transportation, AND a lesser percentage of unspoiled land will have to succomb to suburbanization. If you want to live with plenty of "open space," the place for you is not a metropolitan area; it's the country. Space + amenities is a luxury, and if you want both at the same time, you should have to pay. This is why detached, single family homes in places like Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and Coconut Grove sell for a premium. If you want space but don't care about losing some of the amenities, move out to a semi-rural area; if you want amenities but don't care to have an abundance of space, live in an apartment/condo.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-12-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon'Fishing View Post
I dont like that look either. Looks like Florida. But not that much of NC looks like that. When did you live there in Raeligh to know that is (supposedly) looks like suburban sprawl in "much of nc." Because it isnt true. Some places look like that, but it isnt nearly as prevalent as it is in Florida.
Most of NC doesn't look like that; much of the suburban areas look like that. Florida has horrendous sprawl, worst in Central Florida if you ask me. Miami-Dade County has a much lower proportion of sprawl than most of the South.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,675,188 times
Quote:
LOL! Right on! I like the house, but I am a man, not a princess. LOL.

I know that lol. Just speaking for me. It can be manly and pretty at the same time can't it?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,065,655 times
Quote:
It was definitely take in the winter time! A summer shot would have been better. But those mountains are awesome to look at out your back door, rather than the back of another zero lot line house that is shaped like a box, lol.
There are plenty of zero lot line cookie cutter communities in North Carolina ... they do not all have great views of the mountains , just like not all homes here do not have great views of the ocean ... when did this become another NC vs Fla thread anyhow ?

Other than mountains which I see all year due to heavy business travel ... nothing sticks out in the picture sorry .

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, not really. I just googled some new home communities by M/I Homes in Raleigh. There's quite a difference. And I just copy and pasted house pics from one website (mihomes.com), I didnt go around picking and choosing. Here they are...

It is all a matter of taste ... you like wood and brick , I like stucco and spanish style .... I would take any homes in a nice community in Weston , Parkland or Palm Beach Gardens over what is in your picture .

I personally travel to Raleigh several times a year ( APEX Research Triangle ) and find it bland and boring as hell ... I like Charlotte much more if you are going to chose in NC .

Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Yup, my point exactly Blondie! You see one new home community in FL, you've seen em' all.
Your comments are pointless ... yes we all agree too many cookie cutter communities in Florida .... but NC is also the same ... you do not think the pictures of the little doll houses you posted are the same in every relatively "upscale " community in NC ... zero lot lines and all ... keep fooling yourself .

Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM

47 posts, read 118,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I know that lol. Just speaking for me. It can be manly and pretty at the same time can't it?
But of course!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM

Rock, can you post pics of Weston? Believe it or not, I have heard people complain that it is turning into a "no speakie English" area. [Which is ridiculous because most of the "Hispanics" there are upper-middle class and speak English, but that's besides the point... people have actually characterized Weston as "no speakie English"]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami