Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
nope, speaking in general terms they are all exactly alike. they all speak spanish, they all came here and they all want to change here to there, the very situation they fled. they all think their way is better than anyone else's and they all despise each other, claiming that their particular group is superior to the other hispanics. personally I get a great deal of comedic relief listening to them deride each other. it's comedy gold and you can't convince them of the error of their xenophobic and dictatorial bent, they just don't see it. if you want to see a nicaraguan angered ask him if he was guatemalan and that extends to all of them. we are talking about people who's countries went to war over the outcome of a soccer game. thank goodness their kids are assimilating.
"nope, speaking in general terms they are all exactly alike"

Lie, all Americans are different in demographics, culture, economy, and education.

For example, Mexico, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, and Nicaragua are the most American indian countries in the Americas, and Argentina and Uruguay are the whitest/European countries in the American continent and an average U.S. National would be considered a non-white person in those countries. The demographics of Brazil are very similar to U.S.

"they all speak spanish"

They all speak Spanish... I would say that Spanish is spoken worldwide... by people from Europe (origin of the language) and the Americas (most widely spoken language in the Americas and the first European language spoken in the USA).

Miamians are bilingual.

"they all came here and they all want to change here to there",

Be more specific next time....

"the very situation they fled"

fled where??? Florida is their home.

"they all think their way is better than anyone else's and they all despise each other, claiming that their particular group is superior to the other hispanics"

Correction. Some people like to talk trash about different nationals from different countries (and that includes you)... at the end...Florida and USA is a land of immigrants...the most multiracial country in the world built and maintained by waves of immigrants since the creation of this country.

"if you want to see a nicaraguan angered ask him if he was guatemalan and that extends to all of them."

Lie, A Nicaraguan would not get angry if you ask him that question....

Some Canadians might get offended if you asked them if they are U.S. Nationals... In every country in the world there are patriotic citizens...

"we are talking about people who's countries went to war over the outcome of a soccer game".

... this is probably the most ignorant statement I have read so far in this forum...

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Isn't public school free everywhere??? I have met very few hispanics that are illiterate, very very few. I don't illiteracy is a problem in many Latin American countries. Have you checked the statistics???

I think the real reasons has been stated by other posters. Last I remember when I came to the USA I didn't speak English either(I Knew how to write in Spanish, just like everybody else in my country) I knew some words but I didn't understand spoken English at all. It takes many years to be fully fluent in any language. You just don't learn a language, you learn a culture.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Cuba

Theoretically, and according to propaganda, in Cuba there's a 100 per cent literacy rate. But right now, even considering that schooling is compulsory there, primary and secundary education is in a sad state due to the lack of teachers and to the appearance of "emergent teachers". Older kids teaching younger kids.

There are not illiterate kids, but in some cases their written Spanish is poor. As to English, there are making big efforts to teach English there, before was almost impossible to learn since it was the "language of the enemy".

But I'd say that a large percentage of professionals there speak English, some quite acceptable. The problem lies now in the fact that many "lumpen" are going to Miami. That was not the case before the "Special Period", from 1992 onwards.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 AM

Cuba Libre

If you select any black Cuban kid peddling fake cigars in Old Havana and make him go through a short quiz in English about general culture and the state of world at large, I bet he'll get a better score than this Dadegay chap.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
funny.

speaking in generalities (which is hardly ever a good thing) latin america is a mess. latin america is going on 700 years of european led exploitation and who really knows how long of native abuse prior to the arrival of the spaniards. I'll begin by quoting hatuey the taíno cacique just before he was burned alive at the stake, a priest asked him if christianity and belief in christ was the faith he would accept and go to heaven. Hatuey asked "Are there Spaniards in heaven?" When the priest assured him that there were many, Hatuey replied "If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven".

that same fictional cuban boy who can recite you facts in english (as you incorrectly claim) is probably not just selling contraband to tourists but is a prostitute as well.

mr. castro has indeed managed to bring the standard of elementary education to the highest level in the world. unsubstantiated claims of 99.9% is what I have seen. whether the real figure is less than claimed is largely academic I agree that the elementary level of cuban education is at a higher percentage than the united states and furthermore of better quality.

those are the pros to mr. castro's regime now let's examine the cons.

with mr. castro's stifiling of the cuban economy what emerged almost immediately was a thriving black market. in time this black market has become very sophisiticated. due the nature of black market economies where people are forced to steal from the government (in cuba's case) people are forced to become liars, pilferers and thieves. since the castro regime owns everything then all cuban citizens must become criminals by definition. what has happened in cuba is that you have ten million highly experienced criminals. you have well educated women who become jineteras (prostitutes) in order to buy basic needs. cuba is probably the leading destination for the euro sex holiday trade in the world and that would include every manner of sex and sexual deviants. guess what they do when they land upon our shores? do you think that they suddenly experience a paradigmatic shift in their philosophy?

now on to the rest of the americas. I had the oportunity to work extensively in all of the americas and much of the caribbean. I have been in every country in central and south america often for months long stays as I was responsible creating networks of distribution for north american and european products lines.

I know the americas very very well. I am completely fluent in spanish and portuguese and am told that I speak with no perceptible accent though in portuguese they can't quite place from what region I come.

I can tell you with the complete certainty that comes from thirty years of business dealings, the character of the latin american (in general) is universal. never mind that one place is amerind, the other african and the third euro the jamaican adage of out of many, one people applies.

save your rhetoric for the gullible. I'll end this rant with the assertation that I completely understand that there is good and bad in all people and even in every individual including myself. I look for the good in everyone and take measures to mitigate the potential harm that is a factor in all human relationships however I do have an issue with attempting to clear from my mind the image of the well dressed porteño smoking a cigarette leyendo el clarin para ver a quien caga hoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
But I'd say that a large percentage of professionals there speak English, some quite acceptable. The problem lies now in the fact that many "lumpen" are going to Miami. That was not the case before the "Special Period", from 1992 onwards.
have you heard of alienware computers? the company was started by friends of mine. they were bought out by dell. dell is having major issues with their cuban programmers at alienware due to major communication issues with these programmers. speaking "english" is not speaking english.

Last edited by dadeguy; 05-14-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
That reminds me of my recently arrived nephew, a 19 year old PLAYER from Havanah (Vacuranao to be exact) who stayed with me for a while. One night he wanted to show off how well he knew each country's capital, to a point where it was exhausting. Yet, when I would ask him to scrub the toilet or vaccum the carpet, or help me wash my car he was all "d'uh!"
Sure, Castro improved the school to a point where the education is world class, but do his schools prepare world class citizens? I think we all know the answer to that.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
funny.

speaking in generalities (which is hardly ever a good thing) latin america is a mess. latin america is going on 700 years of european led exploitation and who really knows how long of native abuse prior to the arrival of the spaniards. I'll begin by quoting hatuey the taíno cacique just before he was burned alive at the stake, a priest asked him if christianity and belief in christ was the faith he would accept and go to heaven. Hatuey asked "Are there Spaniards in heaven?" When the priest assured him that there were many, Hatuey replied "If Christians go to heaven, I do not want to go to Heaven".

that same fictional cuban boy who can recite you facts in english (as you incorrectly claim) is probably not just selling contraband to tourists but is a prostitute as well.

mr. castro has indeed managed to bring the standard of elementary education to the highest level in the world. unsubstantiated claims of 99.9% is what I have seen. whether the real figure is less than claimed is largely academic I agree that the elementary level of cuban education is at a higher percentage than the united states and furthermore of better quality.

those are the pros to mr. castro's regime now let's examine the cons.

with mr. castro's stifiling of the cuban economy what emerged almost immediately was a thriving black market. in time this black market has become very sophisiticated. due the nature of black market economies where people are forced to steal from the government (in cuba's case) people are forced to become liars, pilferers and thieves. since the castro regime owns everything then all cuban citizens must become criminals by definition. what has happened in cuba is that you have ten million highly experienced criminals. you have well educated women who become jineteras (prostitutes) in order to buy basic needs. cuba is probably the leading destination for the euro sex holiday trade in the world and that would include every manner of sex and sexual deviants. guess what they do when they land upon our shores? do you think that they suddenly experience a paradigmatic shift in their philosophy?

now on to the rest of the americas. I had the oportunity to work extensively in all of the americas and much of the caribbean. I have been in every country in central and south america often for months long stays as I was responsible creating networks of distribution for north american and european products lines.

I know the americas very very well. I am completely fluent in spanish and portuguese and am told that I speak with no perceptible accent though in portuguese they can't quite place from what region I come.

I can tell you with the complete certainty that comes from thirty years of business dealings, the character of the latin american (in general) is universal. never mind that one place is amerind, the other african and the third euro the jamaican adage of out of many, one people applies.

save your rhetoric for the gullible. I'll end this rant with the assertation that I completely understand that there is good and bad in all people and even in every individual including myself. I look for the good in everyone and take measures to mitigate the potential harm that is a factor in all human relationships however I do have an issue with attempting to clear from my mind the image of the well dressed porteño smoking a cigarette leyendo el clarin para ver a quien caga hoy.

I think that was very well said and quite accurate. Congrats.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
That reminds me of my recently arrived nephew, a 19 year old PLAYER from Havanah (Vacuranao to be exact) who stayed with me for a while. One night he wanted to show off how well he knew each country's capital, to a point where it was exhausting. Yet, when I would ask him to scrub the toilet or vaccum the carpet, or help me wash my car he was all "d'uh!"
Sure, Castro improved the school to a point where the education is world class, but do his schools prepare world class citizens? I think we all know the answer to that.
my point exactly, and in such few words too!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 AM

speaking in generalities (which is hardly ever a good thing) latin america is a mess. latin america is going on 700 years of european led exploitation...

______

700 years...
Let's see...
That was 1309...
Amazing..
The character of Latin American is universal...ummmm...
Invincible reductionism...the Pope says...
Then, I'd say that the character of Human Beings is universal.
No, Cuba is not the leading destination of Euro sex trade by any means, being a very expensive destination. I know, I live there part of the year.
I'd say that the US is far cheaper in every sense for Euro sex trade or any other trade.
Well, really, I think that the US needs 10 million "criminal minds" to survive since no country can't survive with such simple minded inhabitants.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Vpcats

Of course, they don't leave Cuba to scrub toilets.
They go there to live "la vida loca".
If they wanted to scrub toilets, they would have remained in Cuba.
Bacuranao, lovely place.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 05-14-2009 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami