U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,868,464 times
Reputation: 6936
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
The USA was founded on immigrants and YES, they should all learn english but sadly they don't. However, Latinos in Miami are modest, most of them. The Cubans are the only hispanic race that is somewhat loud. Brazilains also..... The Americans born in Miami that bailed out simply do not have the experience I and others here do, meaning taveling abd appreciating other cultures. They are prolly homegrown American simple folk and have no desire to travel or see other continents and have no desire to listen or speak another language. Traveling/learning/speaking new languages is one of the best learning anyone can do. It beats college classroom learning by a mile.
Cubans are a hispanic race? That's news to me. Damn. Where have I been all my life.

P.S. loud = fun, having a good time, happy people. You want everyone to behave like they're in a graveyard? Geezzzzzzz. How boring!

 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 653,573 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Cubans are a hispanic race? That's news to me. Damn. Where have I been all my life.

P.S. loud = fun, having a good time, happy people. You want everyone to behave like they're in a graveyard? Geezzzzzzz. How boring!
The guy I sit next to at work is Cuban, but of pure German ancestry.
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 AM
 
432 posts, read 547,916 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I disagree with you 100% ... other than sharing the same language both groups were and are completely different .

Did you see? I told you. The people including white non hispanics and hispanics that were in Miami during the 60s had the same impressions of those who live in Miami right now; including you, and your mother-in law. I guess it's all matter of perceptions and YES money. But many of the first waves of Cuban inmigrants do not want to admit that once upon a time they were also considered scums. . Don't worry about it. I will say the same things to the new arrivals after fifteen years in the US.

PD: You are RIGHT, money cannot buy class, but when you have tons of money nobody cares if you have class. .

And please I don't want to start another Cuban-superiority thread AGAIN, for that kind of things we have Eduardo93 and BCBrass. .

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson; 05-17-2009 at 12:00 PM..
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,913,330 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
The USA was founded on immigrants and YES, they should all learn english but sadly they don't. However, Latinos in Miami are modest, most of them. The Cubans are the only hispanic race that is somewhat loud. Brazilains also..... The Americans born in Miami that bailed out simply do not have the experience I and others here do, meaning taveling abd appreciating other cultures. They are prolly homegrown American simple folk and have no desire to travel or see other continents and have no desire to listen or speak another language. Traveling/learning/speaking new languages is one of the best learning anyone can do. It beats college classroom learning by a mile.
Yes , Brazilians are loud , but the are also some of the nicest , coolest people that I know . By the way Brazilians are not Hispanic as their country was founded by Portugal and not Spain and they do not speak Spanish .
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 653,573 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Yes , Brazilians are loud , but the are also some of the nicest , coolest people that I know . By the way Brazilians are not Hispanic as their country was founded by Portugal and not Spain and they do not speak Spanish .
There's also a difference with being just loud (in a non-offensive manner) and being loud and disrespectful. The loudness I complain about in Miami isn't necessarily a cultural thing; it's a lack of respect. I do not embrace the kind of loudness that involves blasting your music so high that it shakes the building, allowing your brat-children to scream at the top of their lungs, or people who feel the need to out-shout you in a conversation, because they think that somehow, by being the loudest, they'll win the argument.
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM
 
432 posts, read 547,916 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Cubans are a hispanic race? That's news to me. Damn. Where have I been all my life.

P.S. loud = fun, having a good time, happy people. You want everyone to behave like they're in a graveyard? Geezzzzzzz. How boring!
Speaking loudly, talking funny, having an attitude, VPCats, is "the Floridian" talking about New Yorkers, New Jerseyans or Cubans? I guess if she adds smoking pot we could also include a Californian in the list.
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,731,977 times
Reputation: 664
Yes, true, it happens everywhere. Yes, people drive recklessly in Phila. Yes, people are very familiar with each other, in Phila and call you sis or bro., but not as much as they used to in the 70's and 80's. Or Dude, Or Bella, or Mommi, or Man or Girl or Big Guy, or Buddie, all of these are used to say hello to people who are not your friends! People don't say Ms. Or Mrs. or Mr. or Sir or Madam. They do in France, but they don't in Spain or lt least they didn't to me.

Loudness, that is usually people under 40! or College Students or Fraternities, etc... all places i have lived.

So, maybe you need to move to where there are more older people neighborhoo. My mom lives in north miami beach and her neighborhood is very quiet, but then again the homes are in the near million dollar ranges.

good luck to you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
To those of you who don't like negative threads, I suggest you put this one on "ignore mode".

The one major thing that bugs me about Miami and Miamians is the general lack of respect that people have here. Before you jump down my throat, consider the fact that I'm not looking for the "have a nice day" type of attitude, nor do I care if people say "hi" to me in the elevator. In fact, I'd be perfectly fine in New York, where I'd be completely ignored and even shoved, because it's a big, crowded city.

Miamians general lack of respect tends to manifest in the following ways:

- Reckless driving, i.e. cutting people off, tailgating, excessive speeding and red light running = no respect for the law, pedestrians or other drivers

- People here tend to play loud music more than most places = no respect for their neighbors

- People here are extremely noisy in general, at whatever time. Case and point, I live in a relatively decent condo building, yet people go to the pool and start screaming, as if it were their own personal beach.

- If you're leaving an elevator, people entering the elevator will always barge in first.

- Many people here simply refuse to speak English and will get pissy with you if you don't speak Spanish.

- The "in your face" type, who refer to everyone as "bro" (usually Kendallites).

Those are just a few examples of the lack of respect and consideration that I experience here on a daily basis.

(waiting for someone to say that it happens everywhere -- it does, but just not quite as often as it happens here).
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,913,330 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
It actually happened, I was surprised too, but it did happen. Why should English speaking people leave South Florida for the Carolinas, just because someone new to this country doesn't want to learn the language. When my mother came to this country she learned english, as a respect to this country and so she could speak to people. These people need to do the same. If you plan on coming to the US they should start learning english before they come.
I am sure many recently arrived Hispanic mothers speak English albeit with an accent .... also I am sure that the many hundreds of thousands American ex-pats did not immerse themselves in the language of the country they live in before moving there , that is baloney . My boss just got back from a seven year assignment in China and then Singapore and he did not learn squat of Chinese because he only hung out with other American ex-pats and Brits .... my brother in law who is an electrical engineer lived in Saudi Atabia and then Dhubai for almost six years on a juicy ex-pat package with ABB and he did not learn a word , not a word of any Arabic dialect because everyone he worked with and socialized with spoke only English ..... sound familiar huh ?

I agree immigrants should learn the language of the country they are immigrating too , but as many immigrants are of modest means that can be very difficult ... I think this whole thread is absurd and is becoming tiresome ... I am ashamed some of my fellow countrymen are really showing their intolerant colors here .
 
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,913,330 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
There's also a difference with being just loud (in a non-offensive manner) and being loud and disrespectful. The loudness I complain about in Miami isn't necessarily a cultural thing; it's a lack of respect. I do not embrace the kind of loudness that involves blasting your music so high that it shakes the building, allowing your brat-children to scream at the top of their lungs, or people who feel the need to out-shout you in a conversation, because they think that somehow, by being the loudest, they'll win the argument.
Damn ... BCreass , that is the third time we agree on something
 
Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 PM
 
1,257 posts, read 2,061,857 times
Reputation: 373
Latin people are loud all over.
More so in the countryside.
Spanish, Italians, French are extremely loud.
Urban people are not very loud because you can't scream in a city like if you were speaking from tractor to a tractor.
English are loud and obnoxious, at least when they are on vacation and drunk (most of the time).
Dutch are extremely loud, more so when laughing and when they start to say "hod for dommen".
Germans, on the other hand, are relatively quiet, they make noise but in an organized manners, they talk and laugh in a certain order.
Italians are extremely noisy, more than any other nation on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top