U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,090,956 times

Advertisements

Ray

I lived in Miami during the 70's and I left for Boca in 1980.
Never returned.
But when I see pictures and documentaries about the older SW areas, most people there are Central or South Americans.
You even see Central and South American restaurants, before, the only Mexican restaurants were in American areas.
I also see a lot of "pueblo combatiente" (fighting people) or the "hombre nuevo" (new man), just your typical mixed race Cuban "chusmeria" that supported the revolution that did not exist in Miami until Mariel.
The typical people you find in Cuba in all slums and poor areas, most of the country.
I think that the people that lived in the historical "sauesera" during the 60's are way gone, some even as far as Alaska.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I wasn't born in Miami but was raised here since age 3. I don't know if it's rudeness or the fact that everyone in Miami is out for themselves. I travel the U.S. and abroad and you are able to strike up conversations, ask for directions or assistance w/ no problem in "most" places, even in places like NYC, which have the reputation for being rude. Miami is in a category of itself. I've usually say hello to people with a smile when I was out and about and they look at you as though you are crazy or going to beat them up.
There are many things about Miami that I dislike , crazy drivers and "ghetto culture " among Hispanic youths are the two that stand out ... but I have met many , many friendly people in Miami ... I treat people with respect and say hello and thank you and it is usually returned in kind .. I have had many older Hispanics who did not speak a lick of English , smile and try their best to make themselves understood . I cannot relate to your post sorry and I travel more or as much as anyone on this forum .

I have to question just how "friendly " many of the posters on this forum really are ... I find that those who complain the loudest about others being unfriendly are usually not the easiest people to deal with either .

I work for a company that is based in Connecticut and I am up there and in Massachusetts all the time ... I mean at least six times a year ... and other than faces being white and naturally of course speaking in English .. I do not find people in any of those two states being any friendlier than in South Florida .

Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM

317 posts, read 484,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
There are many things about Miami that I dislike , crazy drivers and "ghetto culture " among Hispanic youths are the two that stand out ... but I have met many , many friendly people in Miami ... I treat people with respect and say hello and thank you and it is usually returned in kind .. I have had many older Hispanics who did not speak a lick of English , smile and try their best to make themselves understood . I cannot relate to your post sorry and I travel more or as much as anyone on this forum .

I have to question just how "friendly " many of the posters on this forum really are ... I find that those who complain the loudest about others being unfriendly are usually not the easiest people to deal with either .

I work for a company that is based in Connecticut and I am up there and in Massachusetts all the time ... I mean at least six times a year ... and other than faces being white and naturally of course speaking in English .. I do not find people in any of those two states being any friendlier than in South Florida .
I guess it's all about personal experience. The positive experiences I've had when I am outside of Miami give me this perception.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM

2,257 posts, read 689,425 times
Quote:

It's not really a question of being friendly. Honestly, I don't expect to encounter friendly people that will smile at me and say "have a nice day". You're not really going to find that in any city in the US, or the world for that matter. If you want that, move to small town America.

The problem I have specifically Miami is the prevailing lack of respect (hence the thread). It's not just rudeness...it's the fact that even the most basic forms of human decency and consideration seem to be lacking here, from people of all walks of life. I have found the same problems in other cities, but not to the same extent.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,012,465 times
Maybe it's not just Miami. It's this ghetto culture where being rude and intimidating is the rule. Some people just think because they can speak the loudest they can intimidate you. Whatever...

To be fair I have seem the same attitude in some african americans. So it's just not latinos. We don't have any ghetto anglos in Miami but I'm sure in other cities where they reside, they have the same issues.

And this is only gonna get worse. All those babies having babies out there are not gonna help.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 3,618,275 times
Quote:
I treat people with respect and say hello and thank you and it is usually returned in kind ..

When I came back from college to Miami (1st mistake) I continued my tradition of saying "hello" to people I would pass on the sidewalk or in other low-density traffic areas. I would get a replay less than 5% of the time. After a year or so I gave up. I'm really surprised to hear that your comments to people are usually returned in kind.

As for forum posters being seeming friendly or not, it's the internet. Most people say things on the internet that polite manners would keep them from saying to a person's face. Also, no one seems friendly when they are complaining (regardless of wether the complaint is justified or not). I can only speak for myself when I say that I have tried to be nice and friendly to people whenever I meet them but in Miami the negative responses I have gotten have created a feeling similar to learned helplessness that makes me want to give up trying. Contrast this to almost every other city I go to where people have a more plesant attitude, are generally more helpful, and actually respong when you say "hello".

Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I guess it's all about personal experience. The positive experiences I've had when I am outside of Miami give me this perception.
Fair enough

Old 05-19-2009, 06:10 PM

6,461 posts, read 12,994,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
The USA was founded on immigrants and YES, they should all learn english but sadly they don't. However, Latinos in Miami are modest, most of them. The Cubans are the only hispanic race that is somewhat loud. Brazilains also..... The Americans born in Miami that bailed out simply do not have the experience I and others here do, meaning taveling abd appreciating other cultures. They are prolly homegrown American simple folk and have no desire to travel or see other continents and have no desire to listen or speak another language. Traveling/learning/speaking new languages is one of the best learning anyone can do. It beats college classroom learning by a mile.
I totally agree, but I think our location on the planet plays into this a little. People in Europe can travel a few hundred miles (via train or car or take a short two hour flight of less)) and be in another country that speaks an another language. I think that Americans would learn other languages if Americans were in the same situation location wise like Europeans. And the "American simple folk" would travel a few hours by train to Spain or France if it were close. But because of the expense to travel abroad many people in America don't. But I wouldn't say they don't have a desire to travel.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,090,956 times
No way.
American are as insular as English.
English can live 40 years in Spain and after all those years, they are only are capable of uttering "cervessa", "sangreea" and "wvinnou".

Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM

268 posts, read 586,126 times
Mr. Leo Vigildo!!!! The other Forum Legend!!!! Keepin it real bro! Nossa! We are truly in the presents of utter royalty.... Cuba Libra and Leo Vigildo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami