Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 12,802 times

Advertisements

I don't think you understand what I'm looking for. I'm not concerned with "cheap rent" and I'm NOT looking for an apartment. I'm looking for the best, most secure environment for my kids. Snobby people don't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvic View Post
I don't think you understand what I'm looking for. I'm not concerned with "cheap rent" and I'm NOT looking for an apartment. I'm looking for the best, most secure environment for my kids. Snobby people don't bother me.

gables is the way to go.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvic View Post
Hi, I think you would really like Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, and Coconut Grove. In all of those places you can rent a beautiful single family home in an affluent neighborhood for under $3000/monthly. Let me know if you have any more specific questions, and best of luck

Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
of course you don't mind snobby people. you referred to yourself as "upscale".

Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM

Hi gimme,

Good observation. I'm trying to be polite rather than snobby.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Someone mentioned the Palmetto High School district. These schools are consistantly high scoring and are known for being good schools in nice upscale neighborhoods. It's the public school feeder patter that you hear praised all the time, because the students do very well academically. But do not be lulled into a sense of complacency just because they are "upscale". Palmetto does still suffer from a lot of drug problems, but this is not widely reported. From my experience having friends who attended school there and known other families whose children have attended, the well-off kids have much better access to drugs because they have the money to buy them. Therefore, they do not need to commit other crimes in order to acquire drugs, and you don't hear about crime at the school. But the drugs are definitely there - and they are the serious ones, not just a little marijuana.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed, but it is just something that people need to be aware of and keep in mind. There is really no such thing as a 100% "safe" school anymore, in any city.

I'm sure that this also exists in Santa Monica and you are probably aware of it, but I just thought I'd throw the reminder out there for a FYI. I've known a few too many good kids who got caught up in the "keep up with the Joneses" game at Plametto, but instead of just having to have designer clothes to fit in, they felt they also had to do designer drugs.

Your best bet for getting into this school system is to live in Pinecrest. It is a very safe area, and beautiful neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:23 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Someone mentioned the Palmetto High School district. These schools are consistantly high scoring and are known for being good schools in nice upscale neighborhoods. It's the public school feeder patter that you hear praised all the time, because the students do very well academically. But do not be lulled into a sense of complacency just because they are "upscale". Palmetto does still suffer from a lot of drug problems, but this is not widely reported. From my experience having friends who attended school there and known other families whose children have attended, the well-off kids have much better access to drugs because they have the money to buy them. Therefore, they do not need to commit other crimes in order to acquire drugs, and you don't hear about crime at the school. But the drugs are definitely there - and they are the serious ones, not just a little marijuana.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed, but it is just something that people need to be aware of and keep in mind. There is really no such thing as a 100% "safe" school anymore, in any city.

I'm sure that this also exists in Santa Monica and you are probably aware of it, but I just thought I'd throw the reminder out there for a FYI. I've known a few too many good kids who got caught up in the "keep up with the Joneses" game at Plametto, but instead of just having to have designer clothes to fit in, they felt they also had to do designer drugs.

Your best bet for getting into this school system is to live in Pinecrest. It is a very safe area, and beautiful neighborhood.

drugs are big problem in every school. i attended Miami springs middle, back when they had to big drug bust and it was all over the news, how the P.E coaches sold kids drugs.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks miamiblue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami