U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

428 posts, read 764,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Not really. But I bet you'd offend a Mexican if you acidentally called them "Puerto Rican" by accident because of their skin color. This happened to me and I was so ashamed and felt stupid. I normally don't try to act like I know people's races by skin color but since living here, I am used to the same thing all the time. But anyway, no I have never heard that.
Allen I am offended in many ways for your stupidity.
First of, all puertorricans are not of one race. We dont have one skin color. So that assumption is ridiculous. We like cubans have 3 races intermixed in our countries. Turn on Univision or open a People magazine and see who's puertorrican. We come in all size, shapes and colors.
Second, a mexican should feel nothing but immense gratitude for comparing them to our beautiful multi cultural heritage. That has produced beautiful people. To assume otherwise is ridiculous.

So much to learn boy.....

Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM

14,597 posts, read 15,201,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
"Hispanic" is a term referring to anyone of Hispanic (meaning, with roots in Spain) language and/or culture. "Latino" is much broader and refers to anyone of Latin (meaning, with roots in Latin Europe) language (meaning Romance languages) and/or culture. However, the United States census does not include people of Italian and French heritage in its definition of "Latino" unless those people can trace some of their recent ancestry to Latin America. All "Hispanics" are "Latino" but not all "Latinos" are "Hispanic."

In the United States, some Latin Americans of mixed race or non-white origin prefer to be called "Latino" because they see it as a geographical reference to Latin America, as opposed to "Hispanic," which hints to identity with Spain. This attitude is not predominant among "Hispanics"/"Latinos" in the United States and is quite rare among people of full or predominant white origin, who do not mind being associated with Spanish language and culture. Furthermore, many people see "Hispanic" as being a cold, detached, academic term whereas "Latino" is more grassroots, informal, and street-smart.

Where I grew up, "Latino" was not used often in English (in Spanish, it merely means "Latin" and is often used to describe food, music, culture). People referred to themselves as "Cuban-American," "Argentinean," "American," mostly, and some referred to themselves as "Hispanic." "Latino" seems to be used more widely on the west coast and to a lesser extent in large cities in the NE and Midwest. The word "Latino," however, has been so popularized by the national media that some young people in South Florida are starting to use it, even to label themselves.
The Portuguese and Brazilians are excluded from the definition of "latino" as well.

Though in Florida, having Spanish OR Portuguese heritage will qualify you for minority backed business preferences, lol.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,199,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Second, a mexican should feel nothing but immense gratitude for comparing them to our beautiful multi cultural heritage. That has produced beautiful people. To assume otherwise is ridiculous.

You got that right. Some people do not know what they are talking about. Mexicans are at the bottom of the Hispanic totem pole when it comes to quality mixed breeding. Three quarters of them are pure Mestizo, with little European or African input. It is easy to tell a Mexican out of a crowd of Hispanics. It is hard to tell a Cuban or a Puerto Rican, however.

Watch this thread and see that no Mexican will contest this claim... very few probably have internet much less know what a forum is.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM

895 posts, read 1,465,180 times
Hispanic is mostly a linguistic term, people who originally speak spanish or their family has roots in that tradition are "hispanic". There are white hispanics (spaniards) to black (many dominicans etc) to native american hispanics. "Latin", in a very strict sense is more like the "race" of latins that is the southern european "latin" people. The descendents from the latin roman empire. Most "latin americans" arent really "latin" at all most are native american or a mix of 2 even 3 races. If you are talking about latin only in a linguistic way than its all the romance languages (portugues,spanish,italian,french etc).

The problem in america is many people call a person from say cuba and mexico "hispanics, spanish, latin". First of all neither of them are spanish since spanish means a person from spain unless they are pure spanish descent (english=england), hispanics is accurate, latin might be accurate depending how you mean. Usually people in US use "latin" and "hispanic" as a racial label, meaning a pure white cuban is the same race as a black cuban. Latin/hispanic isn't really a race at all (except latin in europe). In that case the only real "latin americans" are the ones who claim "pure" spanish/french/italian ancestry, just like anglo-americans in US (wasp) etc etc.

If i moved to US and just cause i spoke english suddenly became an "anglo american" or "english" that wouldnt make much sense would it? Or if i moved to mexico and became a "latin american" because i spoke spanish. (Im japanese)

Last edited by Bibi12; 05-21-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM

3,370 posts, read 7,165,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Watch this thread and see that no Mexican will contest this claim... very few probably have internet much less know what a forum is.
Whoooooah, papa! You'd be surprised at the amount of well-off Euro-Mexicans who study, work (professional jobs), and shop/vacation in this country. I am not Mexican but have a few Mexican friends who have fit this description.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,199,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Whoooooah, papa! You'd be surprised at the amount of well-off Euro-Mexicans who study, work (professional jobs), and shop/vacation in this country. I am not Mexican but have a few Mexican friends who have fit this description.
I am going to call you "exception" instead of "Crispy" from now on.

Where are these Fortune 500 business Mexicans? They surely aren't in Florida - or the Midwest - or the Southwest!

I always thought that Mexico's small ruling class should be ashamed of themselves for creating an economic disaster that refuses to allow the formation of a middle class. The disparity in Mexico is tremendous, but becuase it is a Latin country that is not a problem for the politicians there!

We are gonig broke just trying to deliver the babies of their refugees.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Brazilians are excluded from the definition of "latino" as well.
"Latino" does include Brazilians. The only Latin Americans whom the term excludes are those from countries of English, Dutch (Suriname), and French luinguistic/cultural heritage. All of the Hispanophone countries and the one Lusophone country (Brazil) are encompassed by the definition.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM

549 posts, read 1,063,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Allen I am offended in many ways for your stupidity.
First of, all puertorricans are not of one race. We dont have one skin color. So that assumption is ridiculous. We like cubans have 3 races intermixed in our countries. Turn on Univision or open a People magazine and see who's puertorrican. We come in all size, shapes and colors.

Puerto Ricans could be as white as Mediterranean Europeans or brown or Black ... etc....

USA is a multiracial country BTW. This is not a white homogenous country.

A "standard U.S. national" could be Eurowhite, multiracial, indian/native, African, Asian, etc... Even though many people assume they are "white" they really aren`t. Our census has major flaws...

I am labeled "white" in the census... I look like a standard "caucasian" person in this country but I am not genetically 100% white. This is a common case in the U.S...the majority of the people in U.S. is multiracial and they are labeled as "white" just because they have light skin. (they might be 75%Euro, 12.5%African, 12.5% other race)....

Examples...

This is the typical "U.S. National" that would be considered "white" in our country (U.S. census) and is genetically multiracial.

Wentworth Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA the most multiracial country in the world because every world nationality is an element/ingredient in our melting pot. Any citizen in U.S. could be as multiracial as any other citizen of other American countries.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-21-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I am going to call you "exception" instead of "Crispy" from now on.
I am specifically referring to three of the people I know... one lives in Boston, another in Coral Gables, and the other here in NYC. You're right that the average Mexican is short, brown, and working class, but I couldn't just let a comment like "very few have the internet much less know what a forum is" go by without me commenting

BTW, "Crispy" or "Crisp" makes me laugh because some people have been calling me that since childhood... not just on this forum, but in real life!

PS - are you enjoying my Confederate flag commentary in that other thread? I told you that I am not a cookie-cutter liberal...

Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM

549 posts, read 1,063,276 times
France is part of Latin europe (Italy, Spain, portugal, France, Romania, and Monaco..and others). Latin Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French is a latin language.

Canada should technically be considered a Latin American Country because french is widely spoken by Canadians.

U.S. will also become part of Latin America in the future. Everyday more citizens speak a latin language as their second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami