Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:47 PM

158 posts, read 647,131 times

Advertisements

MIAMI a hell hole compared to L.A?!?!?!
What world are you living in, L.A is miami and everything you say but to the next level if you really think miami is that bad. Traffic, crime, ugliness, and the people theyre either rude or superficial. Yea its got its nice neigborhoods, nice people but the city in all is in no way better than miami in how you describe miami. Its not a horrible city but miami is not a hell hole comparted to L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
youre crazy
i can afford a wonderful meal for a decent price in LA. try that here.
this place is built for the rich and poor and nothing inbetween.
im born and raised in LA (the beach cities specifically) so i think i know what im talking about. my gf who came here with me was in laguna beach and raised in hawaii. this place is a dump by comparison to the places we've lived.
rich or poor, people are mean here. i was just talking about it with a vietnamese guy who moved here from anaheim in the last couple weeks. he'll get a real taste of it when the snowbirds go home.

a decent meal is outrageously expensive compared to what you get for middle class prices in LA or vegas. people actually have HOBBIES in LA. noone here seems to care about that stuff here.

courtesy and customer service is EXPECTED or you will not have a job

Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 AM

106 posts, read 380,472 times
You guys must have been high or drunk during your whole vacation here. I think the warm climate beautiful beaches has lurred these folks in. Miami Beach and Miami are two different things but they are not entirely different. Once you move down here you may be very comfortable on the beach if you dont get tired of all the tourist and paying triple for everything because the prices are inflated because of the tourist. In my opinion there is a true lack of decent restaurants and entertainment outside of the beach and I cant justify paying 9 dollars for a tiny drink in some bar on south beach and paying 7 dollars for a cup of limonade. Remember what you have seen is exactly what you get. There is nothing else to do here. If you are from a big city like Chicago or New York you might want to consider what a drastic change it will be to confine yourself to a narrow strip of land between the ocean and an inlet. I say this because like anywhere the city is what you make of it. If you guys are making this city out to be a city where the people are friendly and there is always plenty to do that will have to be your Miami. The tourist Miami. I live in the real Miami. Road rage, incompetence, class division, race division, ridiculous high school drop out rates etc. Let me give you a hint. You cannot come down here on vacation party all night on south beach, lay out on the sand and tan in the afternoon, sleep in the evening and do it all over again for five to seven days and think that is a true depiction of life in Miami. Unless of course you have absolutely no goals and aspirations in life. A Career that actually pays you what your worth down here. FORGET ABOUT THAT!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 PM

158 posts, read 647,131 times
Stay out of the restaurants in the beach and the other touristic areas and theirs lots of nice restaurants for good prices, if the prices are so important. And yea i really think you exagerate the crime, the rudeness, the expense, and everything else, if i were to read this forum a year ago before i moved here i probaly wouldnt have had moved but i did and didnt get much of what the bashers say here.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
Default Multiverses revealed

I just got back from my (extended) visit--
and this time I forgot my rose colored glassed at home, horror of horrors.
First stop was a computer store in Kendall. I went in to purchase a hard drive but the salesperson took one look at it and told me that this was not the problem. Not only did he fix windows for me but I was not charged for it and they were extremely helpful and friendly.
Did I mention that everyone spoke english

Next stop was at the realtor's to look for an apartment. Alas, she was not bilingual.
We went looking in the palmetto bay area and by appointment, was invited in by a couple to look at their home. I learned that the husband was in fact trilingual but when he mentioned that Hebrew and German were his second and third languages, I was surprised.
By this point I was getting desperate.
Not only had I encountered english everywhere, no one was speaking to me in Spanish.
And adding to that was the fact was I did not encounter one rude person in several days
How was I going to explain this to the forum
Would anyone beleive me

Our next appointment was cancelled and the person actually brushed us off.
Even though we had a previous appointment with him, he claimed we got out time wrong and would not let us in. He was pretty rude and blunt
I was so grateful, I almost thanked him.

And so on with the car rental, the hotel and the restaruants, shopping etc etc
Ok, granted that living is different from visiting, but how much so.
I would still go to the same restaurants, car dealerships, shopping areas and encounter pretty much the same people.

Or does my plane pass thru a warp each time I fly and lands in a miami that is in a parallel universe

Whatever the explanation, I would like to state on record that I have officially been there, done that. And Miami is the same as any big city in the USA, latin culture notwithstanding.

And I lived to tell the tale, a tale of two cities--

Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
I'm glad that you liked it. There is always something for everyone. Like I have always said, Miami has it's nice areas/people and it's bad areas/people. There are many frustrations for some when encountering people who don't speak english. Unfortunately, many of these people haven't been here that long and work long hours. There isn't a whole lot of time to learn.

Also being that Miami has so many non-english speaking people, it makes it easier for them to get by. The rude drivers and selfish people in general make living here very unpleasant. To that add the cost of living and the high crime rate and it makes people wonder why anyone would want to move here from another state. Even though I am a semi Miami basher, some of these other people love to exaggerate. I wish you lots of luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
today i had to run a couple errands. near-collisions multiple times getting around and construction everywhere with signs that basically said figure out detour on your own. in LA everytime theres construction they give you orange detour signs to follow.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
Miami Vice,
Thank you. Miami is my kind of city, I know I am going to love it there.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM

201 posts, read 983,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'm glad that you liked it. There is always something for everyone. Like I have always said, Miami has it's nice areas/people and it's bad areas/people. There are many frustrations for some when encountering people who don't speak english. Unfortunately, many of these people haven't been here that long and work long hours. There isn't a whole lot of time to learn.

Also being that Miami has so many non-english speaking people, it makes it easier for them to get by. The rude drivers and selfish people in general make living here very unpleasant. To that add the cost of living and the high crime rate and it makes people wonder why anyone would want to move here from another state. Even though I am a semi Miami basher, some of these other people love to exaggerate. I wish you lots of luck.
Miami Vice is being right on with his / her post ... I agree with it totally

I love the "semi- Miami " basher label .... I would say that I am probably one myself !!!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM

201 posts, read 983,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
today i had to run a couple errands. near-collisions multiple times getting around and construction everywhere with signs that basically said figure out detour on your own. in LA everytime theres construction they give you orange detour signs to follow.

Sounds like you have a dark cloud over your head all day buddy ?

Maybe you should change your name to "Schleprock " ... you know the lovable loser from "The Flintstones" ..... oh dear , oh my

I would be happy to take up a collection for you so that we can pay your bus fare back to LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami