U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 AM

245 posts, read 775,424 times
Default Is the FCAT required in private schools?

trying to avoid the FCAT....i really don't know why the STATE OF FLORIDA administer these tests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM

10,077 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
trying to avoid the FCAT....i really don't know why the STATE OF FLORIDA administer these tests
Private schools do not take the FCAT. They do take standardized tests, although there is generally less emphasis on the tests.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 9,652 times
no it is not required in private schools. they have their own tests to administer. it does not have anything to do with passing a grade.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM

6,411 posts, read 2,721,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
The FCAT is only required of students who attend publicly funded schools.

Be very careful when selecting a private school. You do get what you pay for.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 AM

638 posts, read 709,911 times
My kids attend "A" rated schools and I can tell you that, although they are pretty good schools, I most definitely do see that they teach the children to pass the FCAT!!! I'm not sure if they are learning or learning to pass a test!! If you have the means to do so, and do your research, a private school is not a bad option.........

Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,678,698 times
The FCAT in Florida is similar to the PSSA given in Pennsylvania.... in concept it is a great idea, but in principal, it is a disaster. The amount of true instructional time lost to just the administration of these tests is mind boggling. The amount of time spent " teaching to the test standards" is forcing teachers to eliminate significant portions of the curriculum. For example, ten years ago, a teacher could reasonably expect to teach 20 units (chapters) in a particular math series. Realistically, the teacher can expect to teach 16 of these units thoroughly today, or all 20 with some serious elimination of key concepts. I don't blame you at all for looking outside public school/non-FCAT educational environments for your children..... Teachers will be actually be able to instruct a more realistic educational environment privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami