Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM

158 posts, read 647,131 times

Advertisements

Orlando is quickly becoming miami's sister city, i think crime is already as high or higher, illegal aliens are everywhere, and spanish is becoming more prodominent in the streets, and traffic is worse in orlando than it is in miami. but i still think its a great growing city.
But Orlando will always have that disney image and people outside of it might think otherwise, but i think its hard to deny Orlando has much of the things Miami has, but i still like both cities and enjoy living in miami and visiting orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
I will assume your laundry list is just the City of Miami and not all of South Florida and based on that I will respond to you points :

1 ) Why would you even be down here if things are that bad ?

2) I was born and raised in South Florida and in 44 years I have never
been robbed , assaulted , mugged , raped , etc , etc just where
do you hang out or live ?

Criminals become furious when you do not speak Spanish , that is a
new one , where do you live little Havana or Hialeah ?

3) Yes , there are parts of Miami where English is the second language ,
this annoys me as well . You need to move out of little Haiti or little
Havana .... find a better place to live and you will hear more English

4) I agree traffic sucks in Miami and yes drivers are aggressive ... have you
ever driven in Los Angeles , Houston , Dallas , Tampa , Phoenix ... and
don't even get me started on Atlanta

5 ) All the cops I have ever known , including many buddies from high school
and college speak fluent English ... yeah you may find a Cuban American
cop with an accent but that does not mean they do not speak English .
This was an absurd comment

6) Agree

7) Ditto

8) Again , where do you live , I have never had a bum sleep in my car ,
you need to stop buying crack in Liberty City at odd hours of the night
and I promise you this will not happen again .

9) I agree with you on that one , it is annoying when people do not make
an effort to speak English . I am fluent in Spanish but will pretend that
I only speak English when ever I am in Miami , it really pisses some of the
locals off

10 ) Depends what you do , if you work in Mc Donalds yes wages suck

11 ) I agree with you here ..... my mom who is Colombian had to learn
proper English when she immigrated here ( legally ) 48 years ago and
it aggravates her to no end when she sees how easy the current
immigrants have it and how little they want to assimilate
Our government should be ashamed to bow to the whims of the
radical left and not impose English as our official language and I
am a Democrat who is part Hispanic
12) I cannot agree with that , I live in Weston and I do not find that
to be accurate . Yes you have some rude people and some nice
people like anywhere else .. again where do you live or hang out ?

Have you ever thought that maybe people like you and Cixel
are the ones with the personality issues ?
I am friendly to everyone and I am usually treated the same way

13) Unfortunately true

14) See # 12

15 ) Utter nonsense and you should be ashamed for posting that .. yes
people do fly Puerto Rican and Cuban flags but I have scores of
Cuban Americans friends born and raised here and have served in
the military and proudly fly the stars and stripes . I saw more flags on cars
and homes in Miami after 9/11 than anyhere else in South Florida . I
have never heard of anyone being attacked for flying the U.S flag !!

16 ) Stop hanging out in Little Havana and Liberty City and you will be fine .
Have you ever thought that maybe you have issues

17 ) Agree

18 ) Really , it is 64 degrees today in mid April and the weather has been
great since early December .... hmm that is five months

19 ) It is like that anywhere , try and walk certain parts of the Bronx ( NY ) if
you are white or Compton in Los Angeles or Cabrini Green in Chicago .
Don't hang out in these areas ... genius .

20 ) Yeah I saw that movie too last week ..... saving some rent money is
not a good reason to live in Little Haiti , get out !!

21 ) Not all public schools are bad , you are wrong . The problem you
describe is nation wide and not just down here . Read the papers ,
watch the news and educate yourself .

22 ) Bull #@*@# that is a bold faced lie and you should be ashamed
for posting that

23) No comparison , have you ever been to detroit , would much rather
be down here .... you really need to find a better neighborhood to
live in .

I do agree that Miami is not what it used to be , and that a ghetto culture has permeated some aspects of the area , this due mostly to unchecked illegal immigration ... but many of your assertions are simply untrue .

Have a nice day and stay out of the ghettos !!!

jnnino,

I enjoyed your post and have to agreee with you. I was born in Miami, raised in Hialeah. The worse thing that happenned to me was my car was stolen, but that was back in 1988, when I lived in North Miami. I make decent wages, as well. Not a millionare, but pretty good. And I put myself through college.

Laura

Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
So this is my take on this original post, I put my answers in bold. I agree with some of the original posts but not all...

1. Everything (see below for more details): This is not totally true, somedays I feel this way though too.

2. Crime is rampant, violent, and criminals get furious when you don't speak Spanish. I agree with the first part of this, but the last part I haven't experienced.

3. English is the 3rd official language. Spanish is #1, Creole is #2, and English is #3. This is kind of true depending on what part of Miami you are in. Overall I would say English is the 2nd official language.

4. Traffic is insane. I know you say "it's insane everywhere", but in Miami drivers are extremely aggressive. Everyone is constantly angry and flipping people out for no reason. This is true

5. Cops speak HORRIBLE English. Some do have thick accents, but not all.

6. Home prices are through the roof. Totally true.

7. Insurance is through the roof. Totally true.

8. You have to either leave your car unlocked on the street at night or people will bust the window to see "what you are trying to hide inside. Bums are often found sleeping inside cars. This is normal. The part of leaving the car unlocked or have the window busted is kind of true, but not totally true. The bums in the car, I could see how this could be true for some parts of the county.

9. Forget trying to talk to anyone on the street, the stores, etc unless you speak Spanish/Creole. People will look at you like "in MY country (aka. Miami), YOU speak MY language, which is Spanish" Depending on what part of Miami you are in this can be true, again this isn't everywhere, even though somedays it does feel like it is.

10. Wages are terrible. This is also kind of true depending on your field.

11. Speaking English is COMPLETELY optional. Most people don't speak it and public schools teach kids in Spanish and Creole (like you learn math, science, etc in Spanish). American teacher need not apply for most public school jobs - you won't get them w/o fluent Spanish. In fact, most public jobs REQUIRE you speak Spanis and/or Creole or no job (sget away from Miami you dumb Americans). Yes and no, depending on the location.

12. Everyone is rude. It is amazing how unfriendly it is. It feels sometimes that this is true. But on an individual basis you can say no there are nice people out there.

13. Gang fights between races/cultures (example: Cubans vs Puerto Ricans, Haitians vs African Americans). etc. I can't answer this ?, but there is a lot of hatered against one another (i.e. cubans and mexicans)

14. There is no local culture. Expect no help from anyone, as it's all hate.
This isn't true, there is culture here in Miami.

15. Do NOT dare raise an American flag. Your house/car will be targeted. Cuban and Puerto Rican flags are OK, granted you have permission from local gangs. Maybe this is true in some parts of the county, but not for all parts, as I have an American flag outside.

16. Looking at people start fights. Walk with your head down. NO EYE CONTACT. Lots of people in Miami don't have eye contact, but I am not sure if it is to avoid a fight or if it is just to avoid acknowledging the other person instead.

17. Cost of living in insane. Rent will be $1,200 for a 1/1 studioin the ghetto. Yes this is true, compared to the national average.

18. Weather sucks... but that is all over FL. Humid, muggy, hot and miserable for 10 months out of the year. IMO this is true from Mid-May till November, but people like vpcats think June, July and August are the best time of year to be in Miami.

19. Depending on your race/national origin, you cannot go into certain areas of town or cross certain streets. Well, sort of true, its not that you can't go into them, they are just dangerous maybe and you wouldn't want to go into them.

20. You find all sorts of food and ritual blood on street coners from the voodoo people. This does happen, I remember in High School (in a good area) finding dead chickens on the track, from an over night ritual...

21. Public schools are the pits. Even in Boca, they suck, kids have knives and guns at school. Overall yes our schools are not known as the best, for the majority they are ok nothing great.

22. Drugs are sold openly on street corners, even on ritzy areas. I am not sure if this is totally the case everywhere, but I am sure it does happen on occasion in the good parts.

23. Miami is Detroit without the snow and with a beach nearby and some newer buildings. In all honesty, it has the same problems as Detroit does, but it is located in a different place. We don't have as many problems as Detroit but we do have some of course.

24. Miami... a true part of the 3rd World.... It is a ****hole (forgive my French). I think some parts do look 3rd world, the mentality of some people in this county is 3rd world, but not everyone has this mentality. We do joke when we visit people in Broward and Palm Beach that we are entering America, sad but true...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM

201 posts, read 983,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
jnnino,

I enjoyed your post and have to agreee with you. I was born in Miami, raised in Hialeah. The worse thing that happenned to me was my car was stolen, but that was back in 1988, when I lived in North Miami. I make decent wages, as well. Not a millionare, but pretty good. And I put myself through college.

Laura
Hi Laura , thanks for the kudos . Some of the posters on here take this way too seriously and are in dire need of therapy

Of course Miami has many issues , I especially hate the "chusmeria" factor that many of the recently arrived immigrants are bringing with them ... and I do not just mean the Cubans , many of the other immigrants from the Caribbean and South America are not exactly the cream of the crop in their homelands , why else would they be leaving ?

That said many people , in fact the majority of Hispanics down here are good , hard working and law abiding ... are they loud and drive like lunatics ... yes but you have to take the good with the bad

I don't care what some of these other clowns on here say , I still love going for coffee on Star Bucks on Miracle Mile in the Gables , Monty Trainers in the Grove , strolling down Sunset Drive near the side walk cafes and shops , driving over the Causeway going to Key Biscayne , hitting some of the great new bars and restaurants on Brickell . Heck I live up in Weston and will take the time usually on weekends to drive to Miami and it's good spots !!!

Where did you go to College , I went to UM , then FIU ... both good schools

Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 105,335 times
Well I think all depends in your type of life, because if you live in weston or Boca you can't compare the type of life you will have in hialeah, north miami or miami gardens.

The truth about Florida or Miami and that we need all to agreed on is that life in this state has become too expensive, way too expensive, houses prices are to high (I live in miami gardens not too good place and I have a 4 bed. 2 bath house that cost me 210,00 a 1.5 year ago and I pay 8,500 a year in property taxes and insurance) plus mortgage, plus light bill (when I came to miami 3 years ago I used to pay 90 to 100 dolares for light bill, now I pay 300 in my house) the cost of food went up also.

We also have to admit that there is a lot of crime in Florida, especially Miami-Dade county and Broward (Of course is diferent if you live in Weston or Boca or Pinecrest with million Dollar houses) but we do need to admit there is a lot of crime or don't you see the news everyday???????

The traffic is horrible in I-95, I-75, turnpike, palmetto, 595, everywhere..............

Schools are not as good like in other places (Again if you life in million dollars houses places schools are better) but must of Florida schools are not that good, you can not compare our school system with Boston or New Jersey.

The weather depends on what you like or not, if you don't like the heat get out of Florida, but I love our weather.

Besides what I said Florida is beautifull, a lot of things to do, wheather to use sexy clothes must of the year, very beautifull malls, parks, beaches, but I think you don't see all those beautifull things when you can't pay your bills, because life has become so expensive.

I love Florida, as I said I don't live in a upscale place (I live in Miami Gardens) and my life is pretty simple, and a young mother, always with my husband and I don't go out that much.

I've looked at other places and with the same money me and my husband make over here we can life a lot better in other places, so if they don't do anything to resolve this problem with the taxes and the isurance I'm runing out of here (insurance and taxes went up 6,000 only in one year) and with all the other things going up (light bill, cost of groceries, more crime everyday, schools system not that good) I think even if I like the weather and Florida is beautifull, i will have to go out of Florida, as well as a lot of Families that are not rich and hace a lot of money to spend.

Lets say my husband and I make 60,000 a year 1,500 X 12= 18,000 (mortgage) + 8,500 (Insurance and taxes) + 300 x 12= 3,600 (light bill) + 400 x 12= 4,800 (groceries) + 200 x 12= 2,400 (car insurance) + 400 x 12= 4,800 (child care) = 42,100. a year

so 60,000 - 42,100.00 = 17,900.00 - 11,000 (social security, medicare, federal taxes)= 6,900.00 and I'm not including a lot of expenses, like furniture, car payments, health insurance (which I don't have at this moment).

This state has become too expensive for medium type of family or poor, only rich people with a lot of moeny can afford florida at this moment everyone else is having a hard time

As I say it is beautifull but with all the bills waiting in your table to be paid, I don't think you can look at the beauty

Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 PM

124 posts, read 415,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
what are the top things you think are wrong with miami and why?
POLARIZATION.

I didn't read all the post, and so this maybe a repeat. One of the things I dislike about Miami is its lack of sense of community. Everyone here is from elsewere, and clings to people from his native country. For example. In my job, during lunch hour everyone sits with people of their kind, and starts talking in their native language. Haitians speak in creole, Hispanics talk in Spanish, Jamaican talks in broken English, and the native American talk in English. This polarizes the city. There is no sense of belonging, no sense of community. Most all keep to themselves. I don't know the reason for this, maybe it is because eveyone just came to America and they are too busy working two jobs to make a living, or what, but the thing is in Miami everyone is for his or her self and no for the city.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 AM

201 posts, read 983,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitosway View Post
POLARIZATION.

I didn't read all the post, and so this maybe a repeat. One of the things I dislike about Miami is its lack of sense of community. Everyone here is from elsewere, and clings to people from his native country. For example. In my job, during lunch hour everyone sits with people of their kind, and starts talking in their native language. Haitians speak in creole, Hispanics talk in Spanish, Jamaican talks in broken English, and the native American talk in English. This polarizes the city. There is no sense of belonging, no sense of community. Most all keep to themselves. I don't know the reason for this, maybe it is because eveyone just came to America and they are too busy working two jobs to make a living, or what, but the thing is in Miami everyone is for his or her self and no for the city.

Good post .... I had never really looked at Miami that way , but you make some valid points . In my case I just love many of the areas in Dade County that I think are lovely , green areas , palm trees , beaches , architecture , etc ... probably just not as crazy about the people . I know the people make a city , but I can differentiate the two . Again good post

Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 20,828 times
What's wrong with Miami? Isn't it obvious??? Non-English speaking foreigners/illigal immigrants have ruined it for all of us that actually belong here. And if we had stronger officials, this could have all been prevented. What a tragedy.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 PM

158 posts, read 647,131 times
How can u prevent immigrants from comming here if there coming legally. And thats actually one of the things i like about big cities like miami, the diffrent cultures and diffrent languages that you hear daily but as long as they learn english where the majority are and do know and learn english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami