Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,494 times

Advertisements

I moved to Miami in 1966 when it was considered by some (including me) as paradise

The events of 1980 was Miami's turning point - downwards - in a slow, steady decline

Well, at least I had 14 good years living there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I have a Katrina-esque vision of what will happen to Miami once a natural or man made disaster (i.e. economic or geopolitical) hits Miami.

We have seen how well we handle minor hiccups like Cat 1 hurricanes in recent years (very poorly).

I can only imagine what would happen if Miami Beach was covered in 3 feet of ocean, if power was out for a month, or if god forbid Publix was unable to re-stock its water ...
Were you not here for Andrew?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Were you not here for Andrew?
I missed it by a week... I was at space camp/Cape Canaveral with my dad when Andrew showed his ugly face...

It's amazing how confined that Cat 5 was to SW Dade... hardly any major damage outside of Homestead to the South and Kendall Dr. to the North. Small but extremely powerful.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,985 times
Quote:
I missed it by a week... I was at space camp/Cape Canaveral with my dad when Andrew showed his ugly face...

It's amazing how confined that Cat 5 was to SW Dade... hardly any major damage outside of Homestead to the South and Kendall Dr. to the North. Small but extremely powerful.
Well no wonder you made such a sweeping, absolutely false generalization then....

Old 06-13-2009, 02:25 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well no wonder you made such a sweeping, absolutely false generalization then....
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Quote:
I have a Katrina-esque vision of what will happen to Miami once a natural or man made disaster (i.e. economic or geopolitical) hits Miami.

Quote:
We have seen how well we handle minor hiccups like Cat 1 hurricanes in recent years (very poorly).

I can only imagine what would happen if Miami Beach was covered in 3 feet of ocean, if power was out for a month, or if god forbid Publix was unable to re-stock its water ...
Quote:
Katrina in Miami was nothing more than a very heavy rainstorm; I don't even think winds approached Hurricane strength.

Funny thing is that these two storms, Katrina (tropical storm) and Wilma (Cat 1 - in Miami) brought this friggin city to its knees. Men acted like little boys, and Mee-ami drivers were more reckless than ever.
Quote:
They were extremely self serving, childish, and generally brash and emotional. This was to be expected though, as most people in Miami come from vastly different cultures and could not find common ground and work together.

Miami drivers were driving worse than ever without traffic signals. Instead of the "STOP" rule, it was like playing chicken at every intersection in Miami.

That is why I say that if a Cat 3-4-or 5 hits Miami, you will have "chicken and rice riots" and civil disobedience far worse than was witnessed after Katrina in New Orleans.

Think about it; Miami is larger, just as violent, just as poor, and maybe even more segregated than New Orleans.
Tell me, where did I go so wrong flyboy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami