Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura88 View Post
I don't think that people are necessarily "ignorant" but I do think they have a different opinion. I certainly don't agree with it, but that doesn't mean they are "ignorant".

I agree with you however that a lot of the negative feelings about Miami are probably because some people have a problem with Latinos. That's a shame too, because Latinos are actually very nice people if you bother to get to know them. Perhaps people are getting back bad vibes from Latinos because that is what they are giving out?

I like the idea of people reading those negative things here, and deciding not to move here because of it. More room in the restaurants, in traffic, and on the beach for the rest of us.
I don't have a problem with Latinos (or any other race/ethnic group for that matter). I do think that Miami is a rather segregated city though and I have experienced different racial groups basically hating on one another here (including different Hispanic groups).

My beef with Miami isn't that it's a predominantly Latin city. I've noticed that many people here of all races seem to have an attitude problem and tend to be very "me, me, me". I just think that this city tends to attract people like that, although (*disclaimer*) I'm not saying that ALL people are like that here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I love Miami also,even though I don/t live here I find it to be an incredibly beautiful city,different from most cities in the U.S. and has everything you need.

Every big city has its drawbacks and after living in a city for a particularly long time,the novelty wears off of the place and it seemingly becomes ordinary .
Geez! I sincerely hope not, because after Miami - then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I've been around the world, probably more than 90% of the people who have ever lived. what's more I started travelling from a very young age and quit travelling internationally at age 39 in 1996. I've been on five continents sometimes for months at stretch, others for years. I'm done seeing other places and miami is without a doubt the very best place on the planet imHo.
I think I would have to concur! It fits my tastes precisely.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,344 times
I lived in Miami for 6 years and left in December 2007. I just returned for my first visit back last month and it was a blast. For a week, I just trekked around the city, going out. As much as I was loving it, I realized I loved it because I was a visitor. If I was living there it would be tougher (especially since I make the same amount of money here in PA...but the cost of living is much lower, so I have more cash in my pockets now!)

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
Dadeguy: Your last comment begs a follow-up! I would prefer to like Miami more than I do. I, too, have travelled to and lived in quite a few places on several continents. Miami doesn't "speak to me" as some other places have, and I'm open to re-evaluating my antipathy. It all comes down to what our differing needs and wishes are. So what is it about Miami which earns your "very best place on the planet" moniker? I ask in earnest, and not to challenge.
I'm sorry I missed this post way back when scooter.

what I absolutely love about miami.

1. the food. I can get authentic cuisine from anyplace I enjoyed and it be just that, authentic. be it vietnamese, thai, indian, pakistani etc. never mind the european and latin american fare. cuban cafe. breads!!! from everywhere!! that taste like they should!!! I don't think you will find as much cultural diversity outside of queens ny as you do here. we really do have the world at our finger tips. all available 24 hours a day in many cases.

2. climate. the climate suits me to a tee. I hate the cold and don't feel the heat.

3. the ocean. the shear beauty of our beautiful sea and beaches.

4. the fishing, everything from table fare to big game. the fishing here isn't world class but it sure is varied.

5. water. the everglades will provide us water in abundance when other places will be lacking, possibly even within my lifetime.

6. tropical fruit, I have hayden and nam doc mangos growing as well lychee kumquat loquat anon nispero papaya key lime red grapefruit and honey bell oranges all growing happily but sorta crowded on about 12,000 sq ft of back yard.

7. the lake I live on. connected to the snake creek providing me with large mouth, crappie, snook and tarpon at differing times of the year.

8.wheelin and dealin I don't pay retail for much. miami is an atypical market, unique in this land. the lines between wholesale and retail do not exist for the savvy person.

9. gateway city. I like our proximity to the caribbean and the americas making trips to the islands short and possible on a whim.

10. my business. there is no place else in the country where I could earn what I earn doing what I do than here and still have all of the above.

there are only two other cities in north america as unique as my miami. new orleans and montreal. I wouldn't care for either of those places but recognize them as special as well. for me it gets no better anywhere else on this planet.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
The air is dense and wet and whether you are inside air conditioned spaces or outside, you constantly feel the dampness and smell the moldy air(which I am addicted to). Because of of these factors, you are constantly aware of your location and the reality becomes immersive.
I don't smell anything, I think you are idealizing this place way too much. It's like when you travel somewhere and you think everything is so exotic, then you get used to it, and reality hits. The only thing that makes me aware of this location is the constant heat.
Quote:
even in the nicer parts which give this place a surreal feel. The lighting is ALWAYS dramatic due to the ever-present spectacular cloud formations, the darkness and ominousness of the thunderstorm clouds(when you're in them) and the intense sun when there aren't any.
I like the sunsets here, I'm not familiar with San Diego's sunsets but I know mountains block the sun and sunsets are boring in mountainous areas. I really dislike thunderstorms, especially when the ruin my computer or TV.
Quote:
You step off the plane, Is this a safe area? You don't know! You walk just the same. Do you dare step onto grassy areas for fear of poisonous animals? Will you stumble into an alligator that has invaded a residential zone or run into something or someone no one has warned you about, or that you didn't even know existed? You don't know! Will you get caught by a fast blowing storm or be struck by lightning? THAT doesn't happen in Southern California!
And it doesn't happen here either, the most exotic creature you will encounter is an armed man asking for your jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
but either way, they are mostly ignorant people and have something against the "latinos"
I disagree. Moderator cut: Personal Attacks NOT Allowed Many have issues with Spanish being spoken all over the place. I understand that, I just think some blow it out of proportion. I also think that Cubans are not easy, if you don't understand their culture. I do and in my bad days when patience is not my virtue they can rub me the wrong way.

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-11-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
let me start by saying that i am new to this website, so i wanted to kind of give a shout out to miamians regarding the incredible city that you are blessed to live in.
All the negative things people say in this site about it just make me love it more
and i will be honest I have seen some of the most dissapointing comments ever regarding Miami... even though it is not the only city...
but either way, they are mostly ignorant people and have something against the "latinos"
Its people are the most incredible people i have ever met (even people say otherwise) its atmosphere is truly what I was looking in my young life! and its everlasting skyline is truly majestic!

To all those that love insulting Miami... think again some of us love it when the city gets insulted!

You presume much.

I have nothing against Latinos, in fact I am married to one and have a half-Mexican daughter.

I've also spent lots of time in Miami.

And I think it is, by and large, a cesspool.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You presume much.

I have nothing against Latinos, in fact I am married to one and have a half-Mexican daughter.

I've also spent lots of time in Miami.

And I think it is, by and large, a cesspool.
allow me to correct your spelling and then tune up your attitude. that should read bye and large. cesspool you say? I would say to you then to keep your opinion to yourself. the thread is about loving miami. didn't your parents teach you that if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all? shame on you for posting such an ugly thing.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
I'm sorry I missed this post way back when scooter.

what I absolutely love about miami.

1. the food. I can get authentic cuisine from anyplace I enjoyed and it be just that, authentic. be it vietnamese, thai, indian, pakistani etc. never mind the european and latin american fare. cuban cafe. breads!!! from everywhere!! that taste like they should!!! I don't think you will find as much cultural diversity outside of queens ny as you do here. we really do have the world at our finger tips. all available 24 hours a day in many cases.

2. climate. the climate suits me to a tee. I hate the cold and don't feel the heat.

3. the ocean. the shear beauty of our beautiful sea and beaches.

4. the fishing, everything from table fare to big game. the fishing here isn't world class but it sure is varied.

5. water. the everglades will provide us water in abundance when other places will be lacking, possibly even within my lifetime.

6. tropical fruit, I have hayden and nam doc mangos growing as well lychee kumquat loquat anon nispero papaya key lime red grapefruit and honey bell oranges all growing happily but sorta crowded on about 12,000 sq ft of back yard.

7. the lake I live on. connected to the snake creek providing me with large mouth, crappie, snook and tarpon at differing times of the year.

8.wheelin and dealin I don't pay retail for much. miami is an atypical market, unique in this land. the lines between wholesale and retail do not exist for the savvy person.

9. gateway city. I like our proximity to the caribbean and the americas making trips to the islands short and possible on a whim.

10. my business. there is no place else in the country where I could earn what I earn doing what I do than here and still have all of the above.

there are only two other cities in north america as unique as my miami. new orleans and montreal. I wouldn't care for either of those places but recognize them as special as well. for me it gets no better anywhere else on this planet.

I moved out of Miami recently, and think I made the right decision for my family. I admit there are significant downside to the city, but Dadeguy makes some really good points and on these I must agree:

1. The Food - agreed -great food/ good variety.
6. Tropical fruit - tough to get in some other cities of the quality in MIA.
9. Gateway city- its great living so close to the Caribbean.

Dadeguy - congratulations on finding your paradise. [I mean it!]

Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I experienced the attitude yet again. A friend moved into a home in the Kendall Lakes area last year. He has been getting visits from code enforcement several times and I happened to be there today when it happened again. Since I hate those people enough to be dangerous I grabbed my camera and gave him the third degree. The neighbor next door came out complaining about the large oak tree in his yard, she wants it gone. I spoke up and mentioned her illegal addition, illegal outbuilding with plumbing ( I saw the roof stack), carport over the setback, and lack of address numbers. The mean lady promptly retreated in her home. I was watching the video of her attitude and it is laughable. The code inspector was also shocked and said to have a nice day. Now my friend knows his enemy and will promptly call the county goons if that neighbor tries anything again. In Miami everyone thinks they are right and anyone else they disagree with is wrong. The exception to the rule tends to be in more affluent areas where money and space seems to calm the nuts.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 AM

326 posts, read 1,169,741 times
Tallrick
This is a thread for people to post why they love Miami. It's pretty obvious you hate Miami for your own reasons I respect that. But for the rest of us who don't not want to hear them on this thread why don't you start a thread about how you hate Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami