Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSideBay View Post

I'm looking into Marathon. I like that it's less built up there.
I have spent a lot of my life in Marathon. Real estate there is not a pricey as in Key Largo, Islamorada, and the upper keys... Population density is lower on Marathon than in the upper keys - Marathon has neighborhoods versus mostly high density apartments and highrise time share resorts in Key Largo/Islamorada. Stanley Switlik Elementary is a B or an A school last I checked, and there is a regional airport with scheduled and private flights all over the Southeast. Marathon actually has a larger/nicer airport w/ terminal than does Key West.

Marathon has a LOT more waterftont. You may ask what this means... well, for shorts, it means that you have a much better chance of living within sight, within walking distance, or (god willing) ON the waterfront, whether it be canalfront, oceanside, bayside, or on a beach.

Something I never liked about Key Largo was that you could drive the entire distance of the Key without ever knowing you are on an island (there is no ocean/water view from the highway). The island is engulfed in dense forest, and most neighborhoods seem like crappy quarter million dollar RV parks. Key Largo is also plauged by a larger/historic low income community than Marathon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Please don't put down the forest on Key Largo. This area has some really rare species. You are correct that it is really difficult if not impossible to see the water via U.S. 1 on Key Largo.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Has us1 northbound Opened again? That card sound road is a little too long. Is their anything in the sound area?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I am not sure whether they've opened up US1 yet. You can always stop at Alabama Jacks for some conch fritters and a cold one!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:43 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I am not sure whether they've opened up US1 yet. You can always stop at Alabama Jacks for some conch fritters and a cold one!
Thanks for the suggestion, sounds good

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Please don't put down the forest on Key Largo. This area has some really rare species. You are correct that it is really difficult if not impossible to see the water via U.S. 1 on Key Largo.
That's all fine and dandy. I just wouldn't move there just because of some rare bushes in the state park...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times
Default Dont let them sell you on paradise

The keys and South Florida are the most corrupt areas in America. If you become a victim in the keys do not look to police or state attorneys for any help.

To read more on Key West google- Key West the news paper

read the storys...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:36 PM

64 posts, read 282,001 times
I've read a lot about Miami being dangerous, but the keys, not so much. Northern keys maybe more, kinda, just because of its proximity to Miami, but Marathon and lower, no.

Hey, KeyWestSucks. If you think the keys are the most dangerous place in the US you obviously never lived in DETROIT!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSideBay View Post
I've read a lot about Miami being dangerous, but the keys, not so much. Northern keys maybe more, kinda, just because of its proximity to Miami, but Marathon and lower, no.

Hey, KeyWestSucks. If you think the keys are the most dangerous place in the US you obviously never lived in DETROIT!!
You seem like a nice person.

Marathon is very nice. It is the #1 place I would want to retire, just like my lucky dad... Lots of single family homes on the water, two grocery stores, a K-MART, Office Depot, Home Depot, 1st class regional airport, about 10,000 people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami