Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

12 to 13 bucks is down right excessive. Only way I could see that being reasonable is if they were going to use the revenue to expand metro rail all the way down that BRT (bus rapid transit) lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
HAHAHA What a joke!!! With what money are they planning to build all these structures? and who in their right mind would walk these "famous" boulevards when it is 115 degress outside and the homeless and criminals are hiding in every corner!?
Money = from the 2nd stimulus package. And yes that downtown does need help when it comes to safety but one of the links I posted addressed that issue, namely beat cops ala NYC

Last edited by Wild Style; 07-17-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
They would probably have to take the buses back to US1(for pedestrian safety), close some intersections and elevate others (and probably build those ugly red walls they have been building in the Palmetto) It would look like the Turnpike in SW Miami, where you can see the Turkpike from 117ave but you can only go west through some limited options (104 st, 120 st, 152st etc)

Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM

348 posts, read 638,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Obama and Biden are already making the rounds to drum up support and a list for projects for a second stimulus package. Florida is already planning to make a grab for money to build a bullet train. So I can see them getting the money. As for the tunnel, I saw the over all picture, where they will take away the over pass of I 395 (thats the one that leads out to S. Beach from 95 right?) and bury it under ground. I understand why they want to do it though. Makes neighorhoods contingues and I think they want to build a green way. They are aiming for more walkability in the urban core. It honestly isnt to bad a idea.
That's what makes cities great and very attractive to business & tourism. You've got great weather in Miami for most of the year. What'd'you need a car for....(in Paris, or Manhattan, or London) when you can get around on the subway?
Make sure all the stores & buildings have some kind of overhang....so people can take cover when it pours.
Having to transfer from one mode of urban transportationn, to another....a is a nuisance.
Connect the airport to Miami Beach and Broward. Have one central station...where all connect to the railway.
I'm seeing that this idea of parking your car at a suburban station...and taking a train into the city....really works. My cousin and her husband both do it. Another friend does the same...and he takes a subway as well. The time spent in traffic (and $$$ spent in car & gas expenses) would have made it impossible for them to accept their positions, and live in the suburbs as well.
It used to take my cousin longer to get to work when she lived in the city, than it does now when she lives in the suburbs, simply because of her access to the suburban rail station and its available parking.

Now, there is an issue that's coming up. The citizens of the city core are getting really ticked at all these suburbanites who ride into the city, use its infrastructure, never pay any taxes in it....and then ride out again to their la-la land in the suburbs.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM

^^

dont they have to pay the fare to ride the system? If so then whats the problem.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Now, there is an issue that's coming up. The citizens of the city core are getting really ticked at all these suburbanites who ride into the city, use its infrastructure, never pay any taxes in it....and then ride out again to their la-la land in the suburbs.
Do you know why many suburbs have incorporated the last 10 years or so in Miami-Dade? Because their tax dollars where not being spent in their neighborhoods. So they incorporated so they control where their tax dollars go. Those that don't live in one of these incorporated cities still pay in to the tax dollars of Miami. So yes many people that commute into the city, do pay taxes that most likely get used downtown.

i have to say that the county is spending lots of money on the 874 and snapper creek expressway projects. And when they are finished will be really nice.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

dont they have to pay the fare to ride the system? If so then whats the problem.
What about the roads....and countless other amenities?
What is gonna bring foreign shoppers to that Broward outlet? Their familiarity with Davie's tourism or the "draw" of Miami?
When the city of Miami spends $$$ promoting itself, the entire region gains $$$. Miami is a BRAND, not Davie. A Brazilian tourist who's flying to Miami just may end up in Weston.
Suburbs develop from the city core. Their raison-d'etre is as an extension of the city itself.
What's happend in the States is that the suburbs have attempted to usurp the "meaning" of the city.
Look at Detroit. What happens? Detroit suburbs have a limited future value-purpose...without a living city. They're crippled.
You really still need the city as the place where people interact-exchange ideas. Because of the deliberate destruction of the city and its role as a generator of ideas, knowledge...etc universities have supplanted that role as places of "connectivity". So you have university towns growing in importance (ie Ann Arbor)...whereas that role should really belong to the major city itself.
I'm talking hypothetically here, for of course, there are cities that are slowly going to stop growing....or become depopulated for altogether other reasons.
Yeah...suburbs evolve into their own successful entities....but don't tell me that Westchester "means" anything...in realtion to Manhattan.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Do you know why many suburbs have incorporated the last 10 years or so in Miami-Dade? Because their tax dollars where not being spent in their neighborhoods. So they incorporated so they control where their tax dollars go. Those that don't live in one of these incorporated cities still pay in to the tax dollars of Miami. So yes many people that commute into the city, do pay taxes that most likely get used downtown.

i have to say that the county is spending lots of money on the 874 and snapper creek expressway projects. And when they are finished will be really nice.
I honestly have to say that I'm not familiar enough with internal Miami city & regional politics to be able to judge what's going on there. I just mentioned what's happening elsewhere, and I really believe that suburbs are wonderful but they depend on functional, "living" cities.
A successful city's suburbs will have much more value....than a failed one's.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
What about the roads....and countless other amenities?
What is gonna bring foreign shoppers to that Broward outlet? Their familiarity with Davie's tourism or the "draw" of Miami?
When the city of Miami spends $$$ promoting itself, the entire region gains $$$. Miami is a BRAND, not Davie. A Brazilian tourist who's flying to Miami just may end up in Weston.
Suburbs develop from the city core. Their raison-d'etre is as an extension of the city itself.
What's happend in the States is that the suburbs have attempted to usurp the "meaning" of the city.
Look at Detroit. What happens? Detroit suburbs have a limited future value-purpose...without a living city. They're crippled.
You really still need the city as the place where people interact-exchange ideas. Because of the deliberate destruction of the city and its role as a generator of ideas, knowledge...etc universities have supplanted that role as places of "connectivity". So you have university towns growing in importance (ie Ann Arbor)...whereas that role should really belong to the major city itself.
I'm talking hypothetically here, for of course, there are cities that are slowly going to stop growing....or become depopulated for altogether other reasons.
Yeah...suburbs evolve into their own successful entities....but don't tell me that Westchester "means" anything...in realtion to Manhattan.
I am not sure I follow you in terms of why people are complaining about people coming into the city for work or whatever else with out them having to pay taxes. Sense the topic is downtown miami and its master plan, we will take that for example. Downtown Miami builds itself up, fixes its roads, decreases the homeless, has mass transit etc. etc.

Should a resident in Brickell cry because someone in hollywood fl is coming into Miami's urban core and hanging out and leaving? That in my opinion would make no sense economically (to complain). They may not pay taxes to up keep the roadds but they are spending their dollars in the urban core which in turn pay salaries and taxes. Not to mention the multiplier affect (john sells italian icey on the street for 5 bucks, he pays taxes which is 25 cents lets say, then you have the fact john then spends 2 of the dollars at jacks tavern downtown etc. etc.). This money then in turn ends up being pumped into the govt. coffers and in turn those are used to up keep the city and do other things. So I just don't see the problem.

I think people need to take classes on economics so they can better understand how the world works. For example, back in the days (from what I read) there as a vote to do a 1/2 cent tax to help build out the metro rail. I think this was back in the 80s. I fthey did that, metro rail would probably be close to other major city mass transit developments. But because people don't understand economics and how mass transit impacts a city they voted it down. Now here we are in the worst economic depression sense the long depression and people are scrambling to figure out their next move.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM

The point is.....they're spending very little in the city. They don't need the city for anything else except the big ball games, museums, and to earn their living.
If I live in the suburb, and wanna shop...I don't need the city for much. For cheap goods, there's the suburban outlets. For high-style, there's Neiman Marcus online. But I will most likely depend (in some way) on the neighbouring big city....in order to make my living. Even if I'm tele-commuting.
Many suburbs even have college-university branches of the city's main campus. (Which I don't think is necessarily bad at all, as I truly think that the city and its suburbs should function as a WHOLE).
The suburbanites can afford to escape all the city's problems (as the suburbs are usually built for the class that can afford that lifestyle), and yet their employers will demand that the city itself (its core...downtown) look out for its interest....or it won't survive. The city core's dwellers don't have that kind of power over the suburbs (via the entities that employ them).

The suburbs function alone in almost every way....except in their residents' earning capacity....and their ability to draw people and investors (without a big city in the background). They also don't have the educational & research facilities of the bigger cities, but then, they neither have the dense pockets of crime and poverty usually found in the city core (in North America...at least).

Mind you....because of the high inner city rents ....(in many successful cities) a lot of production and office work is moving to the suburbs.

Anyhow...I was only talking about what I'm witnessing where I'm at right now, and reporting what's going on in a place which has gone beyond (and never really had) the city vs suburb antagonism and deep class & race problems.

Last edited by SadieMirsade; 07-17-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 04:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Sadie

People won't live in Downtown because there's a enormous psychological divide and the place is not perceived as safe. The US is not the Old World. Sections of the populations are completely alienated from the rest (far more extreme than banlieus in France).

Politicians and legislators aren't capable of solving the problem. The only thing they do is changing the name of the problem. If they were incapable of solving that problem in Coconut Grove, a luscious and beautiful neighbourhood with high Real Estate prices, much less in Downtown.

I guess (I'm not certain) that for gentrification to take place, you need far higher Real Estate prices and another frame of mind, or having the structure of a old city. Miami's Downtown was always a administrative and business center, not a place where white people lived. Quite different from old cities in the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami