Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Having in lived in different parts of LA, no sound wasn't a problem in regards to city noise. But I was mainly in the suburbs.

It wasn't noisy like here with all the bugs and crickets chirping at night.

And you could open your windows at night and get cool air. The temperture drops 30 to 35 degrees at night from the daytime high. September is the hottest month of they year. But again it is a dry heat.

IMO, much nicer than FL. I find I spend more time inside here due to the heat and humidity here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Island on the Beach>

L.A. has Hollywood and Miami has South Beach. Both are very exciting places. I do not think that one blows away the other. You're comparing apples and oranges.

But the whole celebrity argument is pretty dumb and irrelevant. Are you telling me he's going to be hanging out with Hollywood celebrities in his spare time in L.A.? Probably not unless he has some clout.

Also, the comment about Miami being so one-dimensional is just incorrect. There is a diverse amount of activities here, way more than most places. Clubbing isn't the only thing to do here. Lots of outdoor recreation, boating, fishing, scuba diving, and we have the Keys not far away. FL is also a beautiful state surrounding on 3 sides by water. So don't give me the Napa Valley routine.

Seriously though, I'm not bashing L.A. I'm merely just defending Miami. There are some unreasonable comments regarding Miami.
Hey NoleFan34: I was NOT trying to disrepect Miami. I really like the place. Perhaps I should have phrased my main point the following way:

"Miami is MORE ONE-DIMENSIONAL than Los Angeles...." Very hard to dispute that.

Also, not sure what you mean by my "celebrity" argument. I find the "celebrity" culture of BOTH LA and Miami to be a very BIG downside. My argument was that there happen to be some fantastic musicians that live in Los Angeles (some famous, some NOT famous at all).

Bottom line is that the LA live music scene is very eclectic and interesting. You can catch some of the world's best musicians play on any given night. From hole-in-the-wall bars to larger venues including many genres of music (rock, pop, classical, jazz, blues, etc.).

Perhaps it's not "fair" to compare the 2nd largest city (Los Angeles) in the nation to a smaller city like Miami. That said, if you are gonig to point out the NEGATIVES that are part of being a LARGE city (read: traffic) than it's only fair to point out the POSITIVES (like more cultural/artistic activities).

Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,472 times
^^^ The celebrities that live in FL due so most likely to escape taxes.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Island On The Land>

You brought up celebrities/musicians in a previous post. I said that is irrelevant to the original poster. How/why would that be a deciding factor for him moving here versus there?

And you keep saying Miami is one-dimensional, but you never said why. I listed some multi-dimensional aspects of Miami and you are still saying its one-dimensional.

The beaches- I have to strongly disagree with you here. How are L.A. beaches better if you cannot go in the water half of the time? And you need a wetsuit the other half. The water is warm all year around in Miami. Also, South Beach is the ultimate beach both day and night. There are topless girls on South Beach. Need I say more?

Also, the guy who said there are no boardwalks on the beaches is an idiot. All of Miami Beach from South Beach to North Beach and beyond has sidewalks and/or boardwalks that are continuous. Has he ever walked along Ocean Avenue?

Traffic- Miami clearly wins in this category, although the traffic gets pretty bad in most of the city. L.A. traffic is the worst. I don't know why people are trying to turn a negative into a position on this one.

Drivers- L.A. wins. The drivers in Miami are hands down the worst.

Weather- just a matter of preference. Some people, like me, prefer hot, humid weather over cold/dry air. I feel energized by the heat and humidity. Also, I never get achy bones/joints in Miami. But when I go up north into colder, dryer climates I get aches. Yes the weather in Miami is nasty much of the time whether its the heat/humidity or the rain/t-storms. But I love how it rains for 15 minutes then the sun comes out. Its very bright here, you'll never get depressed. Also, in Miami you'll never have to own a turtle-neck or a jacket. You can wear shorts and t-shirts almost every day of the year. I love being able to wear light clothing all year around.

A/C- How can you people live without air? Especially in the summer? Besides the fact that there is no ventilation in the summer and you can die from heat stroke, everything in your home will develop mold and mildew. You really need to run your A/C 10-11 months out of the year. It is just too hot/humid here to be comfortable otherwise. There is literally no breeze in the summer months.

L.A. is the 2nd biggest city no doubt. Miami is smaller than L.A., but it is still one of the biggest cities in the U.S. But I'm not trying to say one city is better than the other because I think they're both great cities with interesting things to do. But for the purposes of the original guy deciding where to live, we have to compare them I guess.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
I will say this -- Miami wins hands down for beaches. It doesn't win on much else, but the water here is beautiful. LA does have some nice beaches nearby and the California coastline is one of the most beautiful in the world, but the ocean is too cold for my liking, most of the time.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
I just looked up the world's most populous urban areas. For U.S. cities, Miami ranks #5 and #50 in the world, and is one spot ahead of Philly which ranks #6 U.S. and #51 in the world. L.A. of course is #2 in the U.S., and in the 20's for world population. L.A.'s urban area was listed at 14 million people while Miami was 5.5 million. The 6 largest U.S. urban areas were ranked:

1. NYC
2. L.A.
3. Chicago
4. San Fransisco
5. Miami
6. Philadelphia.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,123 times
If you and your wife are not 10's. go to LA
More diverse jobs, more types of communities to live in, more to do in LA
In South Beach, how many booties and fake boobs can you look at before you get bored. Partying is great, but you have to have a life too. Also, I hate the jellyfish, the alligators, and those huge cockroaches that you could put a saddle on and ride out of town LOL

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
L.A.'s urban area was listed at 14 million people while Miami was 5.5 million.
5.5 Million seems really wrong for Miami-Dade, did they include Broward and Palm Beach County in that number, that seem like what they may have done??? If that is the case then that isn't right. Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach are their own cities, they aren't Miami. I wouldn't put to much stock in that data.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
5.5 Million seems really wrong for Miami-Dade, did they include Broward and Palm Beach County in that number, that seem like what they may have done??? If that is the case then that isn't right. Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach are their own cities, they aren't Miami.
Then again, LA isn't Long Beach, Santa Ana, Riverside, San Bernandino, etc...

Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Then again, LA isn't Long Beach, Santa Ana, Riverside, San Bernandino, etc...
Exactly I think LA county is around 10 million not 14 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami