Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM

18 posts, read 38,848 times

Advertisements

Hi - we just moved down here with our six yr old and are living in a nice area in North Bay Village. But worried about raising a child here after all the city data comments and being here for two month. We have lived in NYC, Boston, Europe (husband Irish) and now here...Just wondering if it is possible to raise children here. We don't have the wealth, but are middle class by most standards. Lovely place to visit, absorb good food, wine and culture.
But, to raise a child? There I am concerned. Just wondering...do people agree. Should we be raising our child somewhere else?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
This is a very personal question that really none of us can give you the right answer for. You will find posters on here on both sides of the conversation, in the end its your decision as the parents.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
we raised three in a working class town. we started in hialeah and moved to miami gardens. we had no problems raising our family but after elementary school they were home schooled. we don't know what teenaged pregnancies, drug abuse or violence is in our family, irrespective of living in a community some here describe as dangerous.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayaskan View Post
Lovely place to visit, absorb good food, wine and culture.
Well, if ou REALLY think the culture here is good then the answer is, yes, this is a good place to raise a kid. The reason I say that is that, of course, your kid will absorb the culture around him/her. I would ask you to take a good hard look at hte culture though before you make your decision. What you see on TV and tourism promotions is not the real culture.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
I'd love to move the other way, Miami > Boston.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayaskan View Post
Hi - we just moved down here with our six yr old and are living in a nice area in North Bay Village. But worried about raising a child here after all the city data comments and being here for two month. We have lived in NYC, Boston, Europe (husband Irish) and now here...Just wondering if it is possible to raise children here. We don't have the wealth, but are middle class by most standards. Lovely place to visit, absorb good food, wine and culture.
But, to raise a child? There I am concerned. Just wondering...do people agree. Should we be raising our child somewhere else?
I'm not sure that N. Bay Village is the place to raise a child - it has the highest population density in the state, 12th highest in the nation. Only 12% of households have children. Doesn't sound very 6 year old friendly.

Before making the decision to leave S. Fl for a better place to raise your child, check out the many family friendly communities in S. Florida.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Well I had a friend who lived most of his life in North Bay Village he liked it. Are you in a condo or home? If your in a home I dont see what the problem is. I was born and raised in Miami and I loved it. I lived in Miami Beach and a Miami Neighborhood. It was great growing up in such a diverse place. It was fun when I was 10 years old with all the sports and exciting things to see and it was even better when I was 16 with all the things to do at night. Miami is a great place to live if you have a decent income. If you end up making some more money (if you live in a condo) I think a house in North Bay is pretty nice, consider a move to Coral Gables, Bay Point, Miami Lakes, Aventura etc.. these places will be more kid friendly but North Bay Village is a nice safe place too.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
We met a lady who had just moved to BOS from MIA - north beach in fact. She told us about how there is a very strong parents group in North Beach similar to our group in BOS. I'll ask my wife about it and tell you later.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 85,960 times
Once again I have to tell people with kids, get out of Miami. The Miami Dade school system is one of the most overcrowded in the US. Elementary schools are ok, but from Junior High on, your kids are facing serious crime in the schools. Miami is a fine place to visit to soak up some sun, but not a place to raise kids. Sorry. I speak from personal experience. I grew up in Miami and still have lots of friends and family there. The crime is awful and the schools are far from immune from it.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
In Miami you get so many immigrants who come from practically nothing, so Miami is a step up for virtually everyone from the 3rd world and Latin America, even in the worst parts of Miami. Yes, that means you, residents of Alapattah, Hialeah, Little Haiti... The problem with this is that standards for everything are lowered across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami