Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times

Advertisements

In my opinion the job market is poor unless you own your own business. The people who are successfully thriving in Miami are those who work for the latin or S. American subsidiaries of large corporations and so are subsidized for living there, or who own their own businesses. Even my professional friends (doctors, lawyers, dentists, engineers) are leaving for other areas. A previous poster indicated there are many wonderful things about the area, but review these boards - long term there are some serious issues with infrastructure, population and cost of living. I would not recommend Miami as a viable alternative if finding employment is among your priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Joo 'ave to E'speek E'spaneesh.
LOL, This guy!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

11 posts, read 33,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
You don't become a cop or any other public safety professional because it's a "secure job" or has "good benefits". If you don't truly love the job and want to help people, you will become miserable in this field and you will burn out and mess up and become a huge liability to whoever you work for. Not only that, but you would probably be weeded out during the selection process if the evaluators can pick up on this..and they usually can. Never get into something because of it's perceived security...you would be doing it for the totally wrong reasons. The last thing we need are cops that don't want to truly serve and protect.
I think you misunderstood the spirit of this post. The implication I got was that crime in Miami was so bad that there will always be a need for police officers, not that it was a readily available job.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM

29 posts, read 97,083 times
Been a police officer is a good job and secure. In order to the job you must have security good salary and good benefits because is all about moral and with moral comes love to the job to protect and serve. Its has to go hand to hand.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,508 times
All job's in Miami either start or end with something like the prase "Spanish Preferred" This does not mean they necessarily will only hire Latins but if you don't speak spanish then don't apply. You could have a job sitting in a front loader moving rocks from one pile to another all day and not ever speak to anyone outside of your boss and the crew and you would still be required to speak Spanish.

When I moved here 16 years ago people in some stores were not allowed to speak spanish to customers. Times have changed but it is beginning to bite them in the arse. With the economy going so bad companies that hired only spanish speaking people are finding it hard to find quality people to do do the job. You can't survive anymore if you only speak spanish. You now have to have actual skills to go along with it. More and more people are finding that the bilingual experiment is failing.

Good luck may be you can learn enough Spanish on the drive down using Rosetta Stone in order to get a job. I am not against Spanish speaking people but I am against a policy that cuts out qualified people only because the don't speak a particular foreign language. When in Rome speak Italian.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

18 posts, read 30,572 times
no jobs here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: