Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

One great thing about Miami is its predicatbility. Today is the best that Miami will be from now on. This has always been true and I doubt it will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM

176 posts, read 646,827 times
There are no negatives in Miami..just issues that need improvement..for example if the metrorail was cleaned up and went through Kendall, Hialeah, Westchester and if the areas not possessing tax bases commanded more attention to....we would have a wonderful springboard. What bores me about this place is that there is no italian/indian/jewish/greek/romanian cultural alternatives and beat-nicky-places like you would have in NYC/Boston, except for a handful, which are butt-kickin awesome but it requires a cross-town drive through Ken-hell...there just needs to be more..not one Mykonos on this end and an indian place all the way in downtown...and everything else chain stores...I'm complaining when I'm not there..but when I manage to drive through the crap, then I'm fine and I'm digging the scene. I just hate the driving

Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Temperature (not necessarily weather, though I've come to accept, even appreciate, the humidity).

No state income tax, especially useful for the self-employed.

International geographical position, time zone, and international trade links.

Rail system covering the most important areas (this may be a tautological argument).

In theory, the best of Latin culture, with some elements of other diversity, under (the best of) US administration.

In practice, probably the biggest negative now is arguably the worst of Latin culture under (the worst of) US administration. To put it another way, Miami gives the impression of being socially unstable and insecure (i.e. lopsided, corrupt, volatile, potentially violent).

Not being a good deal for the money was probably the biggest negative before the crash in real estate prices, but on many measures it is still overpriced.

Economically, while Miami (downtown/Brickell/Coral Gables in particular) is long on international trade and marketing, it is short on depth in international finance, in addition to other much discussed imbalances in the economy.

Last edited by bale002; 08-06-2009 at 04:05 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
I know something positive:

We speak Spanish and most of of the time we pretend we don't speak English just for kicks.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Listen, I am not a big fan of many things in Miami. However, it does have some positives besides the months of Jan. and Feb. where more than 50% of the nation is freezing or nearly freezing and we are not.

Tonight, I went out with a couple of friends for drinks at bars. Even though I rarely go out for drinks I do have to admit that Miami is as lively as any town in the USA for going out, especially on a week night. Believe me, I could do without that convenience if or when I move away. But it is nice to know that on any given night of the week one has many options to go to bars that actually have an ambiance and it is actually lively until late in the night.

If one is into going out to bars and nightclubs until 4 am, it is a shock when you go out of town to find out that last call is 1:45. That is how I felt nearly 20 years ago when I first traveled outside of Miami and went to the bars and clubs. This includes Los Angeles. Clubs in LA close at 2:00 AM. Yes, you will have people say that there are underground clubs that close later. But so does other cities. The fact of the matter is that officially, clubs in LA and some of the other major cities close at 2AM. That was a shocker to me when I began to travel and visit other cities and their bars and clubs. Not that it matters to me anymore. But that is definitely a big plus in Miami and for those that want to party the night away.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Positive things about Miami:
Great Restaurants, Great variety of Shopping, Nice weather Jan-April, a mix of cultures, great party/club scene, great diving and fishing off our coasts, close to the Keys.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM

90 posts, read 247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
I know something positive:

We speak Spanish and most of of the time we pretend we don't speak English just for kicks.
ugh that's the worse thing I read in a long time..

Old 08-08-2009, 12:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley99 View Post
ugh that's the worse thing I read in a long time..
I'm pretty sure she's jerking your chain. Although my wife nce pretended not to speak English to avoid talking to a guy on the metrorail.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
There must be a million palm trees in the Miami -Dade area,It is definitely my favorite tree ,except for the palmetto palm which can be seen on the beaches of New Jersey.The Coconut and Royal Palms are my favorite and differentiate Miami from other big cities.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'm pretty sure she's jerking your chain. Although my wife nce pretended not to speak English to avoid talking to a guy on the metrorail.

Heh. That is one of the lovely things about Miami. The ability to pretend to not speak a language in order to avoid talking with someone. Did it myself all the time and it's something I truly miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami