Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 AM

156 posts, read 252,406 times

Advertisements

Burgler

People speak the language they need, as easy as that.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
if you're in miami and you dont speak spanish.. you aren't very competitive for the job market.. you can keep searching or leave.. but stop whining.
This isn't entirely true. Most professional jobs (in accounting, law, education, business, healthcare, etc.) do not require Spanish. I know quite a few people doing just fine in Miami without Spanish.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 AM

261 posts, read 703,997 times
It really depends on who you're working for. Speaking more languages does open more doors, such as the ability to work for companies that have heavy ties to Latin America, and Spanish-language media, etc., or the ability to interface with a Spanish-speaking population, in Outside sales or Nursing, for example.

However, not speaking English will close a LOT more doors than not speaking Spanish, in terms of higher-level positions such as those Crisp mentioned. Many Gringos, Asians and Blacks do fine without speaking fluent Spanish. To work most blue-collar jobs, English isn't as necessary.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM

29 posts, read 32,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This isn't entirely true. Most professional jobs (in accounting, law, education, business, healthcare, etc.) do not require Spanish. I know quite a few people doing just fine in Miami without Spanish.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, I just find that sentence completely BIZARRE!!! We're in America, and just hearing that sentence in America is just BIZARRE to me, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM

29 posts, read 32,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
It really depends on who you're working for. Speaking more languages does open more doors, such as the ability to work for companies that have heavy ties to Latin America, and Spanish-language media, etc., or the ability to interface with a Spanish-speaking population, in Outside sales or Nursing, for example.

However, not speaking English will close a LOT more doors than not speaking Spanish, in terms of higher-level positions such as those Crisp mentioned. Many Gringos, Asians and Blacks do fine without speaking fluent Spanish. To work most blue-collar jobs, English isn't as necessary.
How long have you been in Miami now?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

261 posts, read 703,997 times
24 years...moved here from Atlanta when I was 2

It was a lot more of a change for my parents, I was too young to experience Atlanta much

The only Southern culture I had was what my parents instilled me with :0)

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs08 View Post
Excellent point. Of course, Miami, because of its geography, has tremendous opportunities for bilingual individuals in terms of international commerce, trade, politics, etc.

I daresay, however, that across the USA - including South Florida - the inability to speak English will handicap one's assimilation and evolution both professionally and culturally as an American. Miami is not the only city where one finds many individuals - especially older, less educated immigrants - speaking another language and very limited English. While those people are able to function and enjoy American life, they do so within limited parameters. They might listen to radio or TV stations or read newspapers in a language other than English, they may speak to relatives and friends, shopkeepers, tailors, waiters, the mailman, delivery persons, etc., solely in that other tongue.

Their children, however, recognize very quickly, that to enjoy the full range of benefits as Amereicans and to fully participate in the awesome potential that America offers, English is the way to go.

Speaking Spanish, Creole, French, any other foreigh language, should be an asset. Failure to speak English is clearly an impediment in an English-speaking country.

To respond to the topic introduced by the OP, perhaps automated recordings should default to English and not require one to press any other digit..but those who seek another language should opt by pressing for that?

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 10-01-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
To respond to the OP, perhaps automated recordings should default to English and not require one to press any other digit..but those who seek another language should opt by pressing for that?
At least for now, most businesses are "Press one for English". If current demographic trends continue, you will probably have to press "2" for English in the future.

At many department stores, and chain stores, like K-Mart, Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. it can be a real task to find an English speaking employee to assist you. Interestingly enough, at Best Buys everyone speaks English because the workforce is so young. You can even see the dismay in these kids' faces when people of their parents' age Moderator cut: Flaming come into the store and ask for help in Spanish because of their inability to speak English.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-01-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMngr View Post
S FL would look the same if not for the ocean and the Everglades.
Moot point, because it doesn't.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

29 posts, read 62,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You can even see the dismay in these kids' faces when people of their parents' age Moderator cut: Flaming come into the store and ask for help in Spanish because of their inability to speak English.
every body treats me nice and speaks spanist to me. you are wrong, Moderator cut: comment not allowed, spanish people are not delinquents and are PROUD with their culture and education and treat kids with love and respect not like retirement investing

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-01-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami